Which new Marshall should I get?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
About the rubber doll or AXE FX? The guy asked what “Marshall Amp” to get not what profiler or amp simulator to get. Let’s not get our panties in a bunch. We can argue amp simulators all day I’m sure. My comment was directed more toward getting something “real” and tangible. Hence the rubber doll comment.

AXE III will get him any tone he can possibly want. its not a amp sim but it can do that too. :idea:

G the wildman

Reaction score
My JVM kicks the ass
off my original DSL40 which I was never happy
With.

My DSL5cr is fabulous so I assume the range is better.

My SV20 is my current favourite. The tones in there are so diverse and the dynamics awesome. Edge of break up is there as well. Just the bollocks. Not got a pedal i like with it yet. But my boss blues pedal sits nicely in there as does the boss delay. My Od1x seems to spoil the tone, unless I am not using it properly.

Not tried my original
Double Muff yet.

The stock 1x12 cab is complimentary.

G

punchingboy

Reaction score
Hello,

at the moment I am confused in which new amp I should get.
I love stuff like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and on the other side I am heavily into 80s Hard Rock Stuff like George Lynch, VH Brown Sound, Maiden, Accept and all of this hot rodded Marshall stuff.
I would like to cover both eras (for home use) so I am really torn between the new SV20 (maybe with boost pedal????), SC20 or even a JVM head (attenuator is here) or even a model I cannot think of now?
Cleans would be nice to have but no mandatory...

Could somebody give me input?

Thank you very much in advance!!

How about the Studio Jubilee? It has a clean channel and does all the sounds you're looking for. Plus the combo has the 12" speaker, which the sc and SV combos don't have.

I had a DSL 20 and did not care for it. Anyways, good luck with your search.

Lukas

Reaction score
My JVM kicks the ass
off my original DSL40 which I was never happy
With.

My DSL5cr is fabulous so I assume the range is better.

My SV20 is my current favourite. The tones in there are so diverse and the dynamics awesome. Edge of break up is there as well. Just the bollocks. Not got a pedal i like with it yet. But my boss blues pedal sits nicely in there as does the boss delay. My Od1x seems to spoil the tone, unless I am not using it properly.

Not tried my original
Double Muff yet.

The stock 1x12 cab is complimentary.

G
I own the DSL 40CR as well as a JVM. I love both. What is it you never liked about the DSL just curious?

Lukas

Reaction score
Like “Ricksdisconnected” said an Axe will do anything you want but I think they’re pretty pricey aren’t they? And is that a powered or non powered unit? Can you power say a Marshall 2x12 with it?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Like “Ricksdisconnected” said an Axe will do anything you want but I think they’re pretty pricey aren’t they? And is that a powered or non powered unit? Can you power say a Marshall 2x12 with it?
None of the Fractal units are powered, you would need a separate power amp. I prefer this approach, as you can choose a power amp based on what you need (Tube, SS...).

coolidge56

Reaction score
Keep it simple answer, SC20H. If you want to fiddle with channels and settings JVM.

I have seen JVM410H's priced as low as $1,100 in my area. JVM's are subject to sounding like ass with the wrong tubes. Its shocking how bad they can sound. So if you come across one with 'cringe' tone check the tubes. The factory CHINA tubes were actually pretty good in mine.

Speaking of this, ALL HAIL the SC20H EL34's. They are JJ's and I'm a JJ HATE club president but the JJ's in my SC20H compared nicely with my NOS SED Wing =c=. I was kind of stunned how good they are. Stuck them back in and parked my Wing =C='s back in their boxes.

While I'm at it you can get some nice noise reduction on the SC20H by swapping a couple preamp tubes. The Tube Store preferred series 7025/12AX7 lowered the noise quite a bit in V1 and rounded off some of the harshness. An EH Gold lowered noise a touch more in V3.

G the wildman

Reaction score
I own the DSL 40CR as well as a JVM. I love both. What is it you never liked about the DSL just curious?
I had the original not the CR. It was very harsh. I just could not a tone I liked, despite putting a Creamback in it.

The JVM just gives nice tones virtually wherever I EQ it.

As I say I like my 5 watt CR so imagine the bigger models are as good if not better.

I was not being disrespectful to the old model. It just did not do it for me despite trying hard to love it.

G

Lukas

Reaction score
Which do you like best? How would you compare them?
Tone is hard to explain but here goes. The JVM has amazing bottom end as well as midrange crunch. It never seems to get muffled like a Mesa would scooping the mids. It’s tight and the reverb and gain is more than you’d ever need on tap. Clean/crunch modes I’d say it’s similar to the DSL 40. The DSL 40CR reverb sucks lets be honest. It needs to be pinned to even come close to say a 30% setting on a JVM. The scoop mids button is nice on the DSL, sorry forget what it’s called. It can get muddy and muffled tho if not used right. The JVM is just a power house and is such a tight amp especially on say OD orange or red if you play a lot of hard rock or metal like I do. The DSL 40CR I need to add a tube screamer on OD red to get comparable to the JVM. This pedal is a must on the DSL if you play metal I think it sounds so much better with it. The DSL seems to have kind of a fizz or sizzle to the tone on higher gain settings. I played a JCM 2000 that sounded the same years ago I think it’s a trait of these amps. I heard it can be tamed with a cooler bias but I kinda like it so never bothered to try. The DSL40CR coming through only one 12” speaker sounds kinda boxy compared to a 4x12 for sure but is that a combo amp thing? Does a JVM combo sound like that I don’t know. That kinda bothers me about it. Really noticeable if you play metal and palm mute the low E. The reverb or lack of on the DSL 40 I added a corona chorus and a flashback delay and that nipped that issue inthe butt and then some. It sounds beautiful on cleans with those two pedals as well on OD with delay. So is the JVM better? Mehhhh for some things sure, like metal. The DSL combos are still awesome amps I just think you need to boost them a little with a tube screamer or add delay or chorus etc or a reverb pedal if you like that kinda thing. I love mine, it’s just different than a JVM. But if you love playing AC/DC the 40CR is great I think right out of the box, don’t need to add anything. But anything heavier like Metallica or Megadeth etc I’d add a tube screamer to it and then it does it quiet well. The JVMwill do all these without adding anything.

jchrisf

Reaction score
Tone is hard to explain but here goes. The JVM has amazing bottom end as well as midrange crunch. It never seems to get muffled like a Mesa would scooping the mids. It’s tight and the reverb and gain is more than you’d ever need on tap. Clean/crunch modes I’d say it’s similar to the DSL 40. The DSL 40CR reverb sucks lets be honest. It needs to be pinned to even come close to say a 30% setting on a JVM. The scoop mids button is nice on the DSL, sorry forget what it’s called. It can get muddy and muffled tho if not used right. The JVM is just a power house and is such a tight amp especially on say OD orange or red if you play a lot of hard rock or metal like I do. The DSL 40CR I need to add a tube screamer on OD red to get comparable to the JVM. This pedal is a must on the DSL if you play metal I think it sounds so much better with it. The DSL seems to have kind of a fizz or sizzle to the tone on higher gain settings. I played a JCM 2000 that sounded the same years ago I think it’s a trait of these amps. I heard it can be tamed with a cooler bias but I kinda like it so never bothered to try. The DSL40CR coming through only one 12” speaker sounds kinda boxy compared to a 4x12 for sure but is that a combo amp thing? Does a JVM combo sound like that I don’t know. That kinda bothers me about it. Really noticeable if you play metal and palm mute the low E. The reverb or lack of on the DSL 40 I added a corona chorus and a flashback delay and that nipped that issue inthe butt and then some. It sounds beautiful on cleans with those two pedals as well on OD with delay. So is the JVM better? Mehhhh for some things sure, like metal. The DSL combos are still awesome amps I just think you need to boost them a little with a tube screamer or add delay or chorus etc or a reverb pedal if you like that kinda thing. I love mine, it’s just different than a JVM. But if you love playing AC/DC the 40CR is great I think right out of the box, don’t need to add anything. But anything heavier like Metallica or Megadeth etc I’d add a tube screamer to it and then it does it quiet well. The JVMwill do all these without adding anything.
Thanks for this. I like 80s hard rock and hair metal tones. I always thought the JVM wasn't raw enough and more compressed. I'll have to give the JVM a try someday.. sounds like it is a perfect amp.

Crunch85

Reaction score
Thankx alotttt people!! Now I am having the choice. C20 vs SV20 vs JVM.
I don't need a complete 100% recreation of a tone just one that comes close to those plexi and hot rodded tones at same time. More of a "kinda of" tone.
Thank you very much so far!!
I love the SV20 but I am afraid it cannot hit the tone of a boosted SC20 and vice versa. JVM maybe would be an option but can it get a convincing JCM and Plexi tone? Not 100% I know but get into the area...

Lukas

Reaction score
Thanks for this. I like 80s hard rock and hair metal tones. I always thought the JVM wasn't raw enough and more compressed. I'll have to give the JVM a try someday.. sounds like it is a perfect amp.
The JVM series is Marshall’s Flagship and to be honest reading on this forum the last 3-4 years I can’t say I’ve read anyone bash a JVM or say they hate this or that. To me it is almost a perfect Marshall. It does “everything” very well. Does it sound exactly like a JCM 800 or 2000 or 900 etc?... No, but it can come pretty damn close. My first tube amp was a used Mesa dual Rectifier with a Mesa 4x12 cab. I love heavy metal so that’s what I bought and it was a great deal. I played that amp for 2 months and could not get the sound out of it I wanted. I knew the sound I wanted in my head but couldn’t get it on that amp. I brought it back to the store and told the sales guy I wanted to trade for something else what else you got. He was a huge Mesa guy and looked at me like I was an idiot. I pointed at a Marshall JVM and said what about that? He said it was basically Marshall’s flagship and can pretty much do any Marshall tone. I didn’t even play it!!! I traded and paid the difference cause the JVM and 1960A cab was new and went home with it and plugged it in and holy sh*t it was the tone I had in my head I wanted. This could have gone the other way tho, it was probably stupid not trying it before buying it. I will say the JVM series heads take an MXR 10 band eq in the loop very very well and it shapes the tone so beautifully. I hear dual recs now years later and wonder why mine never sounded that cool. Maybe I didn’t know how to dial one in I dunno. Tube amps are different to dial in than solid states I only ever played. I did hear or read once tho that dual recs and mark v’s were the most returned amps to stores. Just too much goin on there with switches and dials etc etc. people say that about a JVM 410 but Mesas are worse I think. I went with the more basic JVM 210H tho. All those knobs on a 410 scared me at that time.

Sacalait

Reaction score
I said it earlier but I own a JVM205H and the SV20H. I'm using the SV20 more- way more. No slight to the JVM whatsoever! It's a frickin' beast! If I played large venues it would be choice number one for me! The SV20 seems to be perfect for smaller to medium size venues like clubs. Both are Marshalls to the core man! Not a huge difference in price... well $500... but as an investment either one is a great commitment to owning that sound heard on thousands of records.

The JVM series is Marshall’s Flagship and to be honest reading on this forum the last 3-4 years I can’t say I’ve read anyone bash a JVM or say they hate this or that. To me it is almost a perfect Marshall. It does “everything” very well. Does it sound exactly like a JCM 800 or 2000 or 900 etc?... No, but it can come pretty damn close. My first tube amp was a used Mesa dual Rectifier with a Mesa 4x12 cab. I love heavy metal so that’s what I bought and it was a great deal. I played that amp for 2 months and could not get the sound out of it I wanted. I knew the sound I wanted in my head but couldn’t get it on that amp. I brought it back to the store and told the sales guy I wanted to trade for something else what else you got. He was a huge Mesa guy and looked at me like I was an idiot. I pointed at a Marshall JVM and said what about that? He said it was basically Marshall’s flagship and can pretty much do any Marshall tone. I didn’t even play it!!! I traded and paid the difference cause the JVM and 1960A cab was new and went home with it and plugged it in and holy sh*t it was the tone I had in my head I wanted. This could have gone the other way tho, it was probably stupid not trying it before buying it. I will say the JVM series heads take an MXR 10 band eq in the loop very very well and it shapes the tone so beautifully. I hear dual recs now years later and wonder why mine never sounded that cool. Maybe I didn’t know how to dial one in I dunno. Tube amps are different to dial in than solid states I only ever played. I did hear or read once tho that dual recs and mark v’s were the most returned amps to stores. Just too much goin on there with switches and dials etc etc. people say that about a JVM 410 but Mesas are worse I think. I went with the more basic JVM 210H tho. All those knobs on a 410 scared me at that time.

Lukas

Reaction score
Which do you like best? How would you compare them?
I said it earlier but I own a JVM205H and the SV20H. I'm using the SV20 more- way more. No slight to the JVM whatsoever! It's a frickin' beast! If I played large venues it would be choice number one for me! The SV20 seems to be perfect for smaller to medium size venues like clubs. Both are Marshalls to the core man! Not a huge difference in price... well $500... but as an investment either one is a great commitment to owning that sound heard on thousands of records.
That’s the thing right! If you don’t live alone in a house or have a semi sound proof room your eventually pissin people off playing a 50-100 watt head through a 4x12 or a full 8x12 stack. Marshall is pushing and selling more and more combos now I think. That’s the way things are going and sadly toward AXE FX and Kempers.