Which Marshall Signature Amp would you choose?

Which Signature Amp would you choose?

• Total voters

AustinPaul

Reaction score
52de629d-8552-4710-84b6-34320e547359.jpg

...and why? if you are so inclined. No wrong answers, just having fun here.I
I 1

AustinPaul

Reaction score
I voted for the JH. I only want simplicity nowadays. Besides, our pedal choices nowadays mean that we can pull an amazing variety of tones from a great base tone - which a plexi definitely has in spades. I'm on my final Marshall rig - a JTM45 into a 60s replica cab, but with Hellatone 30s. I'm in love with it and proved to me that I'm simply a plexi guy who likes simple. Using it with a Power Station, it is versatile and manageable, with the added bonus of an effects loop.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never been a fan of any kind of “signature gear”, I don’t want the name of someone on any of my gear. I mean I have my favorite Rock guitarists of course, but I don’t want their name on my gear.

Well, with one exception, someone may argue that a Gibson Les Paul IS a signature guitar. I guess technically it is, his name is on it.

The oldest, longest running piece of signature gear ever, right? Although in 1952 I don’t believe there were any signature guitars in the electric guitar/amp market, lol.

I wonder what was the very first signature piece of gear, leaving the LP out of the equation?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I’ve never been a fan of any kind of “signature gear”, I don’t want the name of someone on any of my gear. I mean I have my favorite Rock guitarists of course, but I don’t want their name on my gear.

Well, with one exception, someone may argue that a Gibson Les Paul IS a signature guitar. I guess technically it is, his name is on it.

The oldest, longest running piece of signature gear ever, right? Although in 1952 I don’t believe there were any signature guitars in the electric guitar/amp market, lol.

I wonder what was the very first signature piece of gear, leaving the LP out of the equation?
I'm jot either. But the JS JVM is different from mine. Would be nice to have.

MrBurns666

Reaction score
I've 3 YJM100 and one JVM410HJS. I've try one KK and one ZW about a year ago and they were both "garbage" compare to my vintage JCM800 2203.
With that said , every amp are different . My 3 YJM100 don't sound the same. One of them is "Magic" , not too much bass,liquid mids and singing high ,
one have a lot of bass , scooped mids and "normal" high and the third one is somewhere in between the two other...
So even in a quite limited amp production like a signature series , there are "unicorn one and lemon one" and you won't know until you compare at least
two of them side by side...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 5.25.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 5.25.55 PM.png
    768.7 KB · Views: 4

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
YJM100.

Reasons:
1) good plexi-ish tone.
2) valve fault indicator
3) 50 watt select switch
4) super easy to bias
5) can use just about any tube type
6) good booster (with independent volume and gain controls)
7) good built-in noise gate (with threshold control)
8) good reverb (with level control)
9) good effects loop
10) footswitchable features (booster, gate, reverb, FX loop) that connect via a regular guitar cable of just about any length.

The amp has a wide range of tones. Ideally, I would use two: one set clean and one set distorted.

The close second with the Jimi Hendrix Super100JH with the matching cab (I gotta have thos G12C speakers).

LeftyGtrPlr

Reaction score
I wanted to vote for one of each! I have the Satriani JVM and honestly, the JVM platform with all the switching options is just the best. So many options, so many tones, it just works for me and sounds so good.
Not a G&R fan, but I would love to try the Slash AFD. Also, the YJM sounds incredible too.

DBi5

Reaction score

Jan Akkerman was possibly the first rock player to get a signature guitar (Framus).

Chet Atkins' Gretsch in the '50's?

V-man

Reaction score

A whole other can of worms that is at least relevant to the topic, and yes, I recall the same threads started/detoured onto this subject and summarily quashed with the Les Paul, which one can’t argue both ways. My first guitar was a Jackson Randy Rhoads. I was also into the KV1 Dave Mustaine played before getting his mid-90s Jackson Sig, and the ESP Kerry King V (before the mid 90s sig came out). Sure, I wanted to sound like those guys (certainly wanted the abilities). I had no qualms with having the gear my Heroes had and saved/traded off my first RR to replace it with both of RR’s Jackson models, the LTD and the PCS.

Granted, most of the stars don’t parade around with a hero tribute guitar…NOW, but how many picked up a V specifically because of Schenker or a LP specifically because of Ace. I’d wager many such stars now would have have rocked TF out of a Schenker/Frehley sig were it available in the late 70s as they rose to prominence in the 80s. I have even seen a Sandoval polka dot rhoads hanging in Metallica’s “metal mansion” back when, and know for a fact Scott Ian and Dave Mustaine purchased the Marshall 1959RR (Dave claiming he planned to record some with his).

As for the sig gear philosophy… LP, RR, EVH, JEMs and other such guitars have been workhorses for decades. The 5150 is an EVH sig and Slash essentially re-introduced and took over the Silver Jubilee until getting the FIRST Marshall sig. Having a sig in the rig need not have anything to do with the artist nor sound anything like him.

As for me, I find there are limits however. Mine is on ”tribute” guitars. Granted, I mentioned owning 2 (direct copies that an artist owned/used). My issue primarily comes instead with assholes making a tribute out of something (i.e. Defacing every white Gibson or Electra V from ‘7?-82’ to mimic the V James Hetfield had or “wished he had”), or “relicing” a production guitar to have the booger on the headstock the artist left along with the Dorito streaks on the maple fretboard above the 9th fret. That shit is lame to me, particularly at the premiums they (try to) sell for.

Lespaul 1958

Reaction score
52de629d-8552-4710-84b6-34320e547359.jpg

...and why? if you are so inclined. No wrong answers, just having fun here.I
I have a YJM. Been gigging with it since 2011 when I got it… I usually use a half stack but use the full on occasion…. I always get compliments on my tone which is really very nice. But I give the credit to the amp with a Les Paul also…. To me it’s the sound I used to hear in my head!! Now I can make that sound!!!! It’s just glorious!!

TheB3Bob

Reaction score
I don't vote for any of them. I find them all too colored. I'll take my modded Super Lead over all of them!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
AFD or YJM

A guy I know, visited Sigi's & they recorded a whole bunch of his amp's. (only a smidgeon of what Sigi has), & surprisingly to me, the AFD was the best sounding amp, over many great amp's. When they recorded them, they cranked them all up.

The YJM is a plexi w/ built-in features, like attenuation, overdrive boost, etc. which is what everyone seems to do w/ theirs these days anyway.

V-man

Reaction score
For those interested, I reached out to Marshall about something and tossed in a production number inquiry.

They only have US units available, and the RR had only 200 US units, thus my earlier 450 number in my head must be the total run, making it as rare as the rarest. LEMs had only 150 units in the US, btw

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
YJM100.

Reasons:
1) good plexi-ish tone.
2) valve fault indicator
3) 50 watt select switch
4) super easy to bias
5) can use just about any tube type
6) good booster (with independent volume and gain controls)
7) good built-in noise gate (with threshold control)
8) good reverb (with level control)
9) good effects loop
10) footswitchable features (booster, gate, reverb, FX loop) that connect via a regular guitar cable of just about any length.

The amp has a wide range of tones. Ideally, I would use two: one set clean and one set distorted.

The close second with the Jimi Hendrix Super100JH with the matching cab (I gotta have thos G12C speakers).

Precisely why I voted for the yjm.

I also had to vote for RR but I think the yjm would probably suit my needs better.