Which Marshall from the list has best clean?

JBA

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, was out of town!
I see so many replies since I posted here - it's such a great feeling to see the community help, thank you! :)

I noticed that Origin is suggested as well, even though it's not in the list. The reason it's not in the list is because I already own one (Origin 20 head + Greenback 1*12 cabinet) - I bought it few weeks ago and was dialing it in since. Yes, it has cleans indeed and Origin is an interesting beast on its own I must admit it. What I can say about its clean sound is it's clean, but it's "fat" - I'm not sure how to describe it. I can't get rid of its "fatness" - I tried different settings, tuned knobs in different way, looking and not looking (using ears instead of eyes).

The feeling I get while I play Origin is like my Fender Standard Strat (MIA) has humbuckers instead of singles. Tone is good, no complaints here, it's just not what I'm looking for. I'm not sure I can say it's a Plexi tone - it has such a big "body". You hit 6-th string and it's so bassy and gives you that chewy feel to it. You try to funk on it, you get bright sound, but not glassy clean.

I bet origin is a great pedal platform for crunches, overdrives, thick distortions, not sure I can get glassy clean with clarity from it. By the way, I only have a TubeScreamer pedal, I tried it, not really liked the result - it makes it so midrangey sounding (and Origin is already midrangey as I hear) - maybe Rat would be really cool here, I plan to get one, imagine it will sound pretty cool with it.

That's why I'm looking for a head that can give this clean sound, not sure if I'll keep Origin or not, but I have to admit that it's a very interesting amp, especially if you like clean sound with solid body that crunches nicely!

Oh, and regarding the question why I just don't get a Fender - I already answered somewhere above: Fender amps not easily available in my country, they are twice as price(not to mention local dealers increase the price even more) and of high wattage, I'm not sure even with my attenuator I can use it in apartment I live in (I don't want to bother my neighbors, they never bother me). And I play with a hard hitting attack, so it can be a problem with the sound piercing the walls. Even Origin 20 is loud, I attenuate it's 20W mode - 0.3W mode it so-so. On 3W it's still loud, so I decided to use 20W with attenuator that allows me to control level of soak

Regarding JTM45 - I was thinking about it, but as I know it doesn't have FX loop, which is very unfortunate
Ok got you on the Fender availability thing.

With that understanding I totally get the tone issue you’re having and have THE best solution (the one I use on all my rigs :D). Keep whatever Marshall you have because all you mainly need to do is pull 400hz or so down 6 dB (-6db) as a rough Marshall to Fender tone stack correction. ..You can tweak a few other little things to taste and make it even better once you get it setup. Do you happen to have a multi effects pedal by any chance? If so does it have a parametric eq? If not, do you have a eq pedal or can you even borrow one to test out and hear your new fender’ish Marshall? This will be plugged in before the amp (not in the loop) and will give you even more clean preamp headroom.

gregr

Reaction score
Going 4CM with a good modeler can also work in this situation. Pick the Marshall that you like best for dirty tones and then work around that. You’ll have a large variety of tones and depending on the device there will also be effects at your disposal.

JBA

Reaction score
Going 4CM with a good modeler can also work in this situation. Pick the Marshall that you like best for dirty tones and then work around that. You’ll have a large variety of tones and depending on the device there will also be effects at your disposal.
Totally agree!
I have and have had a few really great Marshall’s, a crapload of pedals, and many 2 cable floor multi effects pedals. I recently picked up a dsl40cr with a little headrush mx5 and connected them using 4 cable and midi for channel switching. I have to say it’s by far the most versatile and functional little setup I’ve ever had. Currently I have it setup as a “true” 7 channel switching amp due to running parametrics “tone stack adjustments”, level correction, and midi amp channel switching for each “rig / amps setup”. So far I have setup Fender clean, Marshall clean, and Superlead corrections using green clean selected via midi. Red has the standard dsl red tone, and a correction that sounds like my jcm800. I plan on doing a couple more on this channel. Then I have the standard od1 and od2 as I haven’t started setting up my heavy tones yet. These rigs then each have one or more “pedal board” setups for each “amp rig” I have setup. From those base tones I setup and modify new song specific tones and/or setlists so easily. Don’t have to worry about dsl volume jumps and shared tone pots anymore.

Funky Groove

Reaction score
Thanks for advices on EQ pedal and tubes - I'll try that with Origin I have!
Regarding the list - I guess I'll try Jube

About the "Marshall for clean" again - I understand that it's not what Marshall amps are usually used for, but I found something special about Marshall amps... and the cleans as well!