Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Standard $2,300.00

Votes: 26 76.5%
  • Luthier Built $3,000.00

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

Markedman

Reaction score
I'm buying a Les Paul, again. There's something interesting about LP's that has me buying one and then a year or so later I tend to sell them from lack of playing, and of course, I'm GAS for another item.

Well, I have 3 options available to me locally, all about $1,00.00 apart. I'm leaning towards buying the expensive one and it isn't even a "real" Gibson! Anyway, I did own a tribute and liked it, so, ... any insight that you may have is appreciated, thanks, Markedman.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm buying a Les Paul, again. There's something interesting about LP's that has me buying one and then a year or so later I tend to sell them from lack of playing, and of course, I'm GAS for another item.

Well, I have 3 options available to me locally, all about $1,00.00 apart. I'm leaning towards buying the expensive one and it isn't even a "real" Gibson! Anyway, I did own a tribute and liked it, so, ... any insight that you may have is appreciated, thanks, Markedman.

I got a thing for goldtops, get that one. Dont limit yourself to those 3, take a ride to a Guitar Center or any music store to try some out! Happy hunting! :yesway:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knowing what I know, I would wait for a deal to pop up on a Custom Shop .........OR be lookin for regular production guitars made from around 1988 to about '03 . USA production guitars were really hittin in the early Henry era , IMO

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score

If you were buying new guitars I would be able to offer some perspective, but with used guitars... I just don't buy used gear at those price points because I don't want to inherit someone else's problems, screw-ups, mods and dissatisfactions. One thing I can tell you though, is don't buy a Les Paul for its flamed top. Buy it for its playability first, tone second, and top last.

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a thing for goldtops, get that one. Dont limit yourself to those 3, take a ride to a Guitar Center or any music store to try some out! Happy hunting! :yesway:
Yeah just drive somewhere where you can try out some Les Pauls, even if you have to make a weekend trip out of it. You need a LP that's right for you at that price level, not some gamble at an online model.

neikeel

Reaction score
I agree with TEH and Alvis.

This means I would wait for a good deal on a custom shop model that I could play first (Basically what I did with my R0) make sure it comes with all the case candy etc. I do have a local luthier built Gibson copy (an SG) made form at least 200year old mahogany with 'brazilian' rosewood neck etc. I paid £1500 inc hard case but doubt that I would get that back on open market because it is a (fantastic sounding and playing) clone.

Of course that standard looks very pretty and has all the goodies so in the context of your survey I voted for that.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I happen to have both a 60s Tribute and a 2020 Standard that I bought used last year. Other than a slightly better feel and of course the bling, my tribute hold it's own against the Standard. I would probably go for the gold top if it was me.
:yesway: I have a 50's Tribute, and it's a smokin' Les Paul. Some chambered Les Pauls can really sing and spit overtones all over your walls, and you'll be gettin' a 5gal pail and some sponges to clean that off and stuff. I paid chump for it (used) and it's a testament to the fact that tone is not in the money.

John Stedman

Reaction score
Those 2010's Les Paul Standards have compound radius fretboards and asymmetrical '60s slim taper neck profiles. I love the neck on my 2013!

Markedman

Reaction score
I did some research on Tom Paul Les Pauls and it seems that he sold the husks for around $1000 without electronics.
I had a tribute before and it’s probably the only guitar I regret selling. I sold it to buy a traditional which was in my opinion, inferior.
I sent Tom an email to see if he still sells these guitars. There was one that sold on Reverb for $1500 which sounds about right.