Which Brand Strings Do You Use A D Why?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by chromeboy, Dec 25, 2018.

1. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

Hey guys, got a GC gift card for Xmas and thought that maybe this would give me a chance to try out some different strings. Now I have been using d'addario's for a long time and wondered if I should give some other brands a chance. In the past I have used ernie ball, Dean markley( the band I was in at the time had an endorsement deal with them so the strings were free ) fender and gibson and ghs. Now I play mostly melodic metal and was wondering if there are strings better for metal than others or are all strings pretty much the same?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I used to use stainless steel strings to stop the inevitable oxides from forming.
    Lately I have been on a Rotosound kick. The roto strings sound snappy for me. I love the way those strings foink when I play em.

rotos.png

3. AlanH

AlanH Well-Known Member

I've use normal Ernie Ball strings just because I always have. I don't seem to corrode them very quickly so they last me well enough.

Two questions:

1. For those of you with floating trems do you find switching between brands of the same gauge requires a claw adjustment?

2. Do any particular brands or types suffer from fewer high e breakages?

4. Barfly

Barfly Well-Known Member

When I was a young player I tried a lot of different string brands.. I stayed with D'Addario. They sound good but more importantly I found them to break less on me than other brands... in fact, they never break. LOL. Is that bad? I keep them on till they turn brown.

5. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

I want to try D'Addario, but I've always had terrific success and results with Dean Markley.

6. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

GHS Boomers, love their sound in my LPs or Strat :yesway:

Shae201 and SlapHand like this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

Everything D'addario. Only non-d'addario strings I use is the GHS David Gilmour strings since they're the only 10 - 48 strings I can find, which I like to use for Eb tuning.

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

EB lime for al guitars in A440, beefy slinky’s 11/54’s for all guitars in D standard, I never break the little ones , only D an A strings, and every once in a while the E, in 1982 - 3, I was getting Roto sounds because KK and Tipton where using them, I then went back to the lime pack, 10/46’s ! Cheers Mitch

9. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Ernie Ball for me, mostly because I'm cheap and they seem to last the longest (IME).

Neil Skene and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

EB Lime 10's, thats how I get my Slash tone :slash:

Mitchell Pearrow and JimiRules like this.
  11. Bruno60

Bruno60 Active Member

EB 10-52 in Drop D on all my guitars ( 24'75 scale);)

12. JimiRules

JimiRules Well-Known Member

Ernie Ball Lime 10's. I remember my dad using them when he played guitar, so when I started that's what I bought. I never really had any reason to change.

13. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

EB green slinky...I have them strung up on my LP for 7 months without changing...

Tried D’Addario 10-46, I didn’t like the feel, and they are darker sounding to my ears than the EB

14. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

I've been using Elexir for the last 10 years.. they are coated and takes getting used too, but they stay bright forever and now I replace strings when they don't intonate anymore, which is 5-10 times as long as I used to go between strings...
    J

15. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

For electrics I use:
    Dean Markley Signature Series on BC Rich,
    Fender Bullets on Tele,
    Gibson Brite Wires on Gibson and Epiphone.

Acoustics I use Martin Phosphor Bronze for Yamaha and Epiphone or Lifespan SP for Martin.

16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I tried a lot of brands through the years but noticed that EB was the one brand every music store always had so I tried them and haven't had any reason to change since.

17. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

I just ordered Roto J11 for my resin infused compressed paper Martin acoustic.

18. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Nice new avatar photo amp mad, youse guys keep changing your photo is making me have to look harder to see who I am talking to! Cheers Mitch

19. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I think there is a huge difference between different brand strings. For over 20 years I used GHS. I don't remember how I got started on them but it was just a thing....always GHS. A few years ago I ordered a new guitar from a company (IbanezRules) who does a setup job before shipping it out. They even let you choose which strings you wanted. They were out of my GHS so I had to go with D'Addario NYXLs. When I got the guitar in it was an odd feeling. A new guitar with new strings yet it felt and played so well, like it was already broken in. This experience led me to try out some NYXLs on some other guitars. WOW! Man was I missing out all this time! Those strings do not require a break in period, they don't break or corrode like those old GHS either. I seriously can't believe the difference and I thank that guitar company for being out of GHS or I may never had tried them. I'm one of those guys who does not have acidic hands and would always hate when a friend with acidic hands wants to play one of my guitars. URGH, now I have to change strings in a few days! Not anymore, those NYXLs allow me to be generous with other guys playing my guitars now :)
    Yes, the NYXLs are more expensive and to me are worth every penny.

Adrian R and neikeel like this.
  20. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Whatever brand is available. Where I live there are sometimes shortages, and you just have to conform with what you can find.
    I switched to .013's a couple of months ago and for the moment the only .013s I can find are Rotosound strings. They also come with an extra first string, so that's cool.