Where Do You Buy Your Build / Replacement Necks?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by crossroadsnyc, Dec 9, 2020.

1. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

Musikraft has made me great necks for my Fenders. Flawless in every way. I'd be happy to go into details if you want (no, not affiliated in any way, except a longtime, loyal, and satisfied customer) .. Oh, and yes, they do make Gibson-scale "conversion" necks. That's what I have.

Also, this subject has come up here before... https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...oth-vs-musikraft-a-tale-of-two-necks.1418398/

Happy hunting!

P.S.>>>> My luthier strongly suggested getting a hard rock maple neck and having it baked. (I like walnut fingerboards.) Baking eliminates moisture in the wood, for long-term stability.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and South Park like this.
  2. TheCount0212

TheCount0212 Member

I have two Gibson-scale conversion necks that Musikraft made for me. Nice fat Cs, 1" thick from top to bottom. Awesome.

Maggot Brain and DirtySteve like this.
  3. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Perfectly timed thread, as I'm currently speccing out the partscaster I intend to build some time early next year, and I'd like to pick your minds on that...

For the body, I'm probably going for a MJT nitro/aged alder body off their Ebay shop. Probably going for a Gotoh GE-101TS bridge (6 screws, steel block), Gotoh SD91MG tuners (the locking Kluson-style ones), and either DM FS-1s or a Bareknuckle Trilogy set (yeah, I'm going for a YJM/Blackmore/Norum vibe here).

For the neck, what I'm planning basically is something very similar to the Eric Johnson Strat, but with 22 frets and rosewood fretboard. So, 12' radius, preferably soft V to C profile, medium jumbo frets, 1.650 nut width. Also, preferably single-action trussrod, as long as it can be adjusted from the headstock side (I'd rather not have to unscrew the neck each time I need to tweak action).
    That's my basic idea, but something like the Warmoth 59 profile would probably work for me (Warmoth doesn't offer anything similar to the EJ profile it seems).

What in your opinion would be the best choice for this ? USACG looks nice, but it seems they don't currently ship rosewood boards to the EU because of CITES, so there's that... Musikraft ? Not bother about those and get the fat profile from Allparts (quite a bit cheaper and easier to get from various retailers here in Europe) ? Warmoth (and get the fat 59 profile) ? Another source ?

4. Metroman

Metroman Well-Known Member

Musickraft, or USA Custom Guitars.

USACG has built in Falll Away past the 12th fret, none of the others have, and makes for smoother bending.

If USACG are as good as when Tommy owned the place, you wont find a better neck.

But if not USACG, Musikraft.

TheCount0212 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  5. WellBurnTheSky

Hey johan, how do they compare to Allparts, Warmoth and similar ? I saw a retailer close to me carries them, and they're super cheap...

6. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

I'm not a strat player, so take it for that. I only used it once in a partscaster. 12inch radius, 22 frets and vintage lacquer...I couldn't fault it. Wood looked good, fret job was good out of the box and price was very favorable... put the guitar together to learn "how to play a strat"...(i had planned on buying a squier classic vibe, but they never came in stock, so after a few months of waiting, I just put one together )turned out great , hung it on the wall, didn't touch it for 6 months then sold it..
    Compared to anything else, it felt and played like a modern strat, that's all I can say..
    J

7. WellBurnTheSky

Thanks @johan.b very useful !
    I'm a Strat player (purchased my US Classic Floyd Rose Strat new 24 years ago, it's been my main gigging axe through hundreds and hundreds of gigs and God knows how many thousands of hours of practice, though I spend my time equally on it and my Les Paul these days), and I need/want a SSS Strat with vintage trem for a project, going for the Norum/early 80s Gary Moore/Blackmore vibe.
    I'd rather not wait months and months for a custom build from Warmoth/MK/USACG if I can avoid it, hence my looking for an off-the-shelf option that's still good enough that it doesn't feel cheap, while staying within a sensible budget (else I would have gotten an Eric Johnson sig and be perfectly happy).
    I was pretty curious as to how cheap Hosco necks are, as I was looking up Allparts options, and feared it would basically be cheapo/low quality stuff.
    Thanks again !

8. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

... but if you want the real deal, thomann is selling genuin Fender replacement necks... but it cost a bit...

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  9. Chrome

Chrome Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

warmoth necks are fantastic, my bass play has built 4 custom P bass all warmoth stuff.

10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I guess I am the only cheap ass here, I have put together 3 parts casters, with mightymite necks, you will have to clean up the fret edges but, they have worked well for me.
    Cheers

WellBurnTheSky and DirtySteve like this.
  11. PAPADON

PAPADON Member

I have a preference for ebony fret boards and I bought this one from Warmoth. Not that there aren't others of equal quality but they have the reputation and I liked that their web site showed me exactly what I was getting.

[​IMG]

12. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Hey howdy Hey! This thread is Great!

I am nearly a life time Strat player, being a Hendrix worshipper with 5 Strats I must admit...... The Gibson scale always felt better and more natural in my hands. I have no idea why I've never looked into a "conversion" neck for one of my Strats. I have been bing playing my Ibanez AX120 which has the Gibson scale length and I hate to admit but it just feels so much better and fluid than my Strats. I HAVE to give one of these necks a try... Damn, so much shit I want and that damn thing called paitents being so necesarry....

Off topic but I had to vent while I mentioned my AX120... The fret job is atrocious, fret ends raised and sticking out so far that the high E gets stuck under the frets constantly... I love the look, I dig the sound but super disapointed in Ibanez. The frets are completely unacceptible and I question why I purchased it... I will have to grab my needle files.... Maybe a new neck for it too!?!? :naughty:

13. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

They've deviated a bit from tradition over the years as they reissued old models, but FYI, Japanese company (Ibanez, ESP/LTD, etc.) model numbers were actually originally LIST PRICES... often only the first digit, with the rest being options coded in, but still

Ex:
    LTD 1000-series : 100 000 yen ~= $1000
    Ibanez RG 700-series: 70 000 yen ~= $700
    Ibanez AX-120: 10 000 yen (12 000 yen?) ~= $100 - 120

That should explain a lot.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  14. johnny q

johnny q Well-Known Member

I have heard great things over the years in regards to Allparts and Warmoth, but no personal experience. However, I can personally recommend the official Fender replacement necks. My original 1972 Strat had quite a history in regards to replacement necks and the 70s style neck that Fender offers (for not a lot of money incidentally) is the best neck that ever graced that guitar. Sure, they are made in Mexico, but the craftsmanship, fretwork etc is top notch. Plenty of options as well.

WellBurnTheSky and Maggot Brain like this.