Where Do You Buy Your Build / Replacement Necks?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by crossroadsnyc, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

one of my favorite builds is my ¨restocaster¨ which is literally a guitar made off parts I had laying around (resto means remnant, waiste, leftovers in portuguese) with a chinese neck. I did a fretjob and the guitar is way more awesome than it should be.

2. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Active Member

Sadly, after buying necks from Warmoth, I'll only get bodies fro them from now on. I've bought necks from them since '86 but the two I custom ordered this year were so riddled with mineral streaks they looked like they were dropped into a box of Sharpies. Then I bought one I could actually see off the showcase but that needed to be pleked to the tune of $280 and has a cold, impersonal, uncomfortable feel. For necks it's Musikraft from here on out (although I'm going to try an Allparts for a T-style I have in the works at the moment). I have three Musikraft necks in action right now and they are superb in all areas. However, depending on the features they can be more expensive than Warmoth.

Neil Skene and crossroadsnyc like this.
  3. Bodawgone

Bodawgone New Member

Musikraft. Any option you can think of and top notch craftsmanship. Do your research and get the exact neck you want.

crossroadsnyc and aberry9475 like this.
  4. Thevenin

Thevenin Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I spec'd a neck from Musikraft this year for my Baretta build. The fretwork was perfect. No sharp or unfinished edges, no high or lifted frets; they got it right the first time.
    Now my Gibson...cough...cough..that's another...

crossroadsnyc and aberry9475 like this.
  5. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

I know, and it sucks. The guitar has been long out of warranty, so this one is totally on me. Wood is a funny thing, and sometimes these things happen (sadly, the first time for me), you know? As for your comment below this one, well, the value of a guitar (or anything) is based upon what you are willing to pay for it. I never mentioned what I paid for it. I think I got a fair deal on a guitar that I really like and plan to keep for the long haul (albeit, maybe with a different neck ... which might be fun!).

Far Rider likes this.
  6. crossroadsnyc

That's something I'm taking into account, as I have a couple of ideas in mind that might be more customized work. As for the headstock, I don't think I'd go with the traditional look, but rather, either the larger headstock, or, yup ... a hockey stick style (which I'm actually kind of leaning toward).

7. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Large and/or hockey, reverse maybe??? now you're talking Cross.

crossroadsnyc likes this.
  8. aberry9475

aberry9475 Active Member

I'll throw my hat in the ring for Musikraft as well. A bit more traditional of a buying experience than Warmoth, but the quality can't be beat I bought a neck from them for my strat - roasted quartersawn maple, ebony fretboard with stainless steel medium jumbo fret wire, and just an oil rubbed finish. I wouldn't say it's a WOW you type of neck like some that have fancy finishes or birds eye or flamed maple, but in regards to stability, functionality and craftsmanship, it just doesn't get better.

I would recommend you (or someone qualified) still level the frets and make a nice bone nut, but that's just me. Traditional I guess.

Adieu and crossroadsnyc like this.
  9. crossroadsnyc

This is another thing I'm taking into account ... I know Warmoth does custom neck carves (i.e Clapton / Wolfgang / etc), but do the other companies offer the same?

10. crossroadsnyc

Your story is the reason I started this thread. I went over to the Warmoth website, and out of curiosity, I took a look at what they had in stock and ready to ship ... it was horrific. Yes, most of them looked like they were handed over to my 2 year old daughter with a sharpie in hand. I'm very (VERY!) particular about the way a neck/fretboard looks, and would find a neck in that condition totally unacceptable. Though, out of fairness, I don't think it's just a Warmoth thing ... I've noticed this while window shopping for other guitars online, and the quality of necks (at least in terms of looks) is really just pathetic these days. I'm seeing really nice Gibson & Fender guitars for sale that are just an absolute mess. I couldn't even begin to calculate the number of guitars I've passed over due to it.

Dean Swindell likes this.
  11. crossroadsnyc

Reverse is is an interesting idea that I didn't even think about. I've had my Strat sitting on a stand in front of me for the last week trying to make a decision on it, and that makes it a little more complicated (thanks!). I'm definitely going w/one of the three options though.

12. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Im pretty happy with my Warmoth purchases
    That strat neck turned that Indo body into one of my favorite Strats

[​IMG]

I decided I wanted a Fender style 12 string . The real ones have an absolute pencil neck . Ordered a fat 12 neck for the project (that I need to finish). Can't wait to play that neck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Fret work = dress? Or immediate refret?

Which Chinese brand have you had positive experiences with?

14. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Hosco (Japanese company) makes good stuff
    J

15. Max Gahne

Max Gahne Active Member

Hi, both the Chinese and Warmoth necks need the frets leveled and crowned. No I haven't refretted them, just leveled and crowned them. On the Chinese necks I remove the nut and fit in a new Graph Tech Tusq XL. I don't know the brands of any of the Chinese necks, I just get whatever looks good for 40$ or less. Although I think prices are going up a little. Rosewood can be problematic for the Chinese necks, sometimes customs denied the shipment. So I only get maple fretboards from them anymore. So far all the Chinese necks I've gotten are at least OK and worth it, some actually play was well as anything at any price.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and Adieu like this.
  16. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

_K3A3595.jpg _K3A3594.jpg The Stratosphere, I really just like the original fender parts,

Maggot Brain and Max Gahne like this.
  17. stevoc

stevoc New Member

I just learned byo guitars sells licensed fender necks as well as their own.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Dean Swindell

Yes, I was looking at Fender American Original strats on Sweetwater, where you can look at individual guitars and the necks have brown streaks like they were cut from too small a part of the tree. Scary.

19. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Not necessarily, the center of maple trees can be very dark and streaky.

20. Dean Swindell

The scary part is that the 50 years I've been a guitar nerd, this sort of thing just wasn't allowed until the last ten years or so, and only recently so common.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.