Where do all the guitars go?

Vinsanitizer

You are awesome.
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We have so many manufacturers, makes and models today that the number of guitars being made and purchased is mind boggling. I could understand that maybe cheap-o guitars eventually find their home in the attic or the local land fill, but in reality, where do they all go?

El Gringo

Reaction score
This never made sense to me. They could have saved the tuners, pickups, switches, jacks, etc..., then burned or chipped the bodies. What a waste.
Waste ? Gibson and shame on them should have donated them to large inner city school districts to further enrich young fertile minds and to open the doors and there minds to learning to play an instrument and the joys of making music . Such a waste !

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Waste ? Gibson and shame on them should have donated them to large inner city school districts to further enrich young fertile minds and to open the doors and there minds to learning to play an instrument and the joys of making music . Such a waste !

I don't know. Those kids deserve better than a Firebird X.

El Gringo

Reaction score
I don't know. Those kids deserve better than a Firebird X.
Yes , but such a terrible waste when public school systems throughout the US are always slashing music and arts programs and Gibson destroys instruments that could have been used on an investment for the future when these kids came of age and then wanted to purchase there very own electric guitar for there own pleasure ! This is my story as I am a product of a public school system where in First Grade I learned the Violin and few grades later the Cello and learned how to read music and learned music theory as well . In the 9th grade the electric guitar as girls came into my sights and now how many $ later to Gibson . This works and just pays it forward which profits Gibson and guitar makers in general . Such a tremendous waste where kids could actually learn how to read music and learn music theory and in general the joys of making music versus making wood chips . Shame on Gibson !

Phony iommi

Reaction score
We have so many manufacturers, makes and models today that the number of guitars being made and purchased is mind boggling. I could understand that maybe cheap-o guitars eventually find their home in the attic or the local land fill, but in reality, where do they all go?
Japan
(Guess on my part)

Vinsanitizer

You are awesome.
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes , but such a terrible waste when public school systems throughout the US are always slashing music and arts programs and Gibson destroys instruments that could have been used on an investment for the future when these kids came of age and then wanted to purchase there very own electric guitar for there own pleasure ! This is my story as I am a product of a public school system where in First Grade I learned the Violin and few grades later the Cello and learned how to read music and learned music theory as well . In the 9th grade the electric guitar as girls came into my sights and now how many $ later to Gibson . This works and just pays it forward which profits Gibson and guitar makers in general . Such a tremendous waste where kids could actually learn how to read music and learn music theory and in general the joys of making music versus making wood chips . Shame on Gibson !

Yeah, wow, that's a good point - instead of wasting additional cost to dispose of them, give 'em to kids or sell 'em cheap.
But then again, why were they being destroyed in the first place, and would Gibson get a lot of 'em back for repairs, etc.? IDK, but if they were playable, it'd seem almost heroic to just give 'em to the schools.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Yeah, wow, that's a good point - instead of wasting additional cost to dispose of them, give 'em to kids or sell 'em cheap.
But then again, why were they being destroyed in the first place, and would Gibson get a lot of 'em back for repairs, etc.? IDK, but if they were playable, it'd seem almost heroic to just give 'em to the schools.
I did not even consider the destroy cost and the production of it all , and that just makes it that much more wasteful as this design abomination of the Firebird is directly one of Henry's flops (former CEO of Gibson ) and this guy was all kinds of weird . So there is that explanation which still is illogical as is the waste . One of the reasons kids today don't pick up a guitar as music programs get cut and I am rambling and getting on my soap box and I should stop .

KidBlast

Reaction score
I did not even consider the destroy cost and the production of it all , and that just makes it that much more wasteful as this design abomination of the Firebird is directly one of Henry's flops (former CEO of Gibson ) and this guy was all kinds of weird . So there is that explanation which still is illogical as is the waste . One of the reasons kids today don't pick up a guitar as music programs get cut and I am rambling and getting on my soap box and I should stop .

actually, the story has a different read completely than what you are implying. you're a bit off base.

Gibsson execs knew they were a flop, and explored other options for dispatching these guitars.

however, here's the rub.

The batteries in these guitars, after a few years of sitting around could get really unstable.

The risk of causing a fire was great enough where Gibson (And obviously their Attorney's) decided the best approach was to just destroy them.

So that's why this was done.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
actually, the story has a different read completely than what you are implying. you're a bit off base.

Gibsson execs knew they were a flop, and explored other options for dispatching these guitars.

however, here's the rub.

The batteries in these guitars, after a few years of sitting around could get really unstable.

The risk of causing a fire was great enough where Gibson (And obviously their Attorney's) decided the best approach was to just destroy them.

It still makes no sense to me. They could have removed and tossed the electronics and batteries, replaced them with cheap Epiphone or other imported passive pickups, and donated to the schools, or orphanages, or senior centers, or...

KidBlast

Reaction score
It still makes no sense to me. They could have removed and tossed the electronics and batteries, replaced them with cheap Epiphone or other imported passive pickups, and donated to the schools, or orphanages, or senior centers, or...

It happened like over 10 years ago, who knows right?

El Gringo

Reaction score

however, here's the rub.

ok

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
you know that there are legal issues in the regards of the destruction of the firebird x, right?

They have destroyed it because it would account as a loss diminishing the taxes, if they donate the taxation would be different.

sad but true, the perks of the capitalism. but still better than communism.