When Large Companies Buy Competing/Trademarks Instead Of Competing.........

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, Dec 1, 2019.

1. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

.................is that good for the competing company?

As far as I know, Epiphone does well in the budget market.

2. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

buyouts and takeovers result in markets becoming oligarchical and monopolistic.

it certainly is easier to take over a brand/company rather than compete against it if you have the resources.

it also makes a difference what the reasoning is to acquire a brand. is it to assume production and continue the brand a la fender buying gretsch and guild or to gain control of a brand and mothball it?

i think short term it helps a company but longterm it is detrimental to performance as the company becomes “bloated” and “lazy”. it seems like a shortcut to me.

3. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

When your cheapo brand is no longer considered cheap in all aspects, the flagship line has problems............
    I mean seriously my buddy bought an LP studio new for $799 and some of these "supposedly cheaper Epi's" are coming in at that price and players are saying they are just as good if not better. So where does that take us?

4. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

also before gibson bought the epiphone brand it was gibson’s main competitor. it is now a budget line meant to compete in a lower market segment inferior to the gibson line. do you think this has helped epiphone?

p.s. - i own both gibson and epiphone guitars. this is not meant as a bashing of
    either brand.

this could be a trick question.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  5. Wezie Guitar lover

Wezie Guitar lover Active Member

Agile brand from Rondo Music is for sale.

[​IMG]

6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Look at what Gibson did to Steinberger and Trace Elliot. Look at what Fender did to Hamer and Jackson.

Buying competitors to add scope to your product line is one thing. Buying competitors to bury their name is quite another.

But what's even worse is when you sue competitors out of business with bogus lawsuits that manage to win by exploiting the sympathies of juries that have no subject matter experts on them. Randall Smith (Of Mesa Boogie) is responsible for the elimination of Bedrock Amplifiers from the market. And yet, a Bedrock is much closer in design to a Marshal than to any Mesa of that time period.

7. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Also to mention is that the two major players/ businessmen of Epiphone were no longer with us and perhaps the rest of the family wanted a quick buck. That happens quite often with businesses.

Phony iommi likes this.
  8. blue

blue Active Member

Gibson bought Kramer and Valley Arts guitars, they've turned Kramer into a budget brand and Valley Arts is just... gone.
    One of the companies Fender bought was Genz Benz. Apparenty they promised Jeff Genzler all kinds of things about how they'd make the brand bigger than ever, then strangled his distribution.