When inflation's so bad that you can't afford a real singer

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I'm surprised there's room for anything or anyone else considering Yngwie's ego.

Hell of a stage presence though...even if it's the same stage moves since the 80's and hair extensions since the 90's.

He still seems to love what he's doing almost as much as he loves himself. That's a lot.

I like the part when he mentioned Brandon.

junk notes

Reaction score
Even Uli Jon Roth hired Mark Boals.

You know.. Ritchie never had any desire to be a Gillan, Coverdale, Turner, Bonnet or a Dio..
Yngwie please do like Ritchie Blackmore and just play the dang guitar. You do it quite well.

Calebz

Reaction score
Yngwie please do like Ritchie Blackmore and just play the dang guitar. You do it quite well.

There's a lot of commonality between the two. It seems they're both hard to work with.

The big difference is at one point, Ritchie could actually write a decent song. Yngwie hasn't made it to that point yet

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
I'm surprised there's room for anything or anyone else considering Yngwie's ego.

Hell of a stage presence though...even if it's the same stage moves since the 80's and hair extensions since the 90's.

He still seems to love what he's doing almost as much as he loves himself. That's a lot.

I like the part when he mentioned Brandon.

After Rising Force I just couldnt do Yngwie anymore. Im truly surprised that ego maniac lasted so long. Im not a fan really, but no one can deny his talent.

PelliX

Reaction score
After Rising Force I just couldnt do Yngwie anymore. Im truly surprised that ego maniac lasted so long. Im not a fan really, but no one can deny his talent.

Never been a fan of his at all, though I indeed recognize the talent. I'd seriously love to see him do some more subdued blues... BB King, Albert Collins, that kind of stuff. I think that would be interesting...

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
What impresses me about prodigy players, is that even at a super young age they knew the instrument so fn well. Light years ahead of really good mortal players.
Practice ...yeah yeah yeah. These type of monsters had the touch naturally . Practice only makes you so good, or we'd all be yngwies. To know an instrument that you can just abuse from every angle with precision and break neck speed and accuracy is......more than impressive. Guitar isnt easy. To be able to shred anywhere on the neck in 5 different modes, all while putting on a show and doing guitar tricks. As much as I think hes a douche, Im amazed with his playing every time i watch.
In all due fairness,
Being a great player is one thing.
Having every guitar player wanna be as good as you, has got to go to ones head. Case in point.

PelliX

Reaction score
What impresses me about prodigy players, is that even at a super young age they knew the instrument so fn well. Light years ahead of really good mortal players.
Practice ...yeah yeah yeah. These type of monsters had the touch naturally . Practice only makes you so good, or we'd all be yngwies. To know an instrument that you can just abuse from every angle with precision and break neck speed and accuracy is......more than impressive. Guitar isnt easy. To be able to shred anywhere on the neck in 5 different modes, all while putting on a show and doing guitar tricks. As much as I think hes a douche, Im amazed with his playing every time i watch.
In all due fairness,
Being a great player is one thing.
Having every guitar player wanna be as good as you, has got to go to ones head. Case in point.

Yes, but there's more than speed and accuracy. Shredding somehow (to me) often seems rather devoid of 'feel'. David Gilmour can express more in one bar than many a man would like to in a whole song, and he's not a fast player by any standard - just a random example. I'm not putting Yngwie down, just sayin' I'd like to hear him slow handed...

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Never been a fan of his at all, though I indeed recognize the talent. I'd seriously love to see him do some more subdued blues... BB King, Albert Collins, that kind of stuff. I think that would be interesting...
I've heard Yngwie play "the blues".

It's not that interesting. At least not to me.

Yngwie Malmsteen - Blues Demostration - YouTube

Yngwie Malmsteen-Red House - YouTube

This was more interesting IMHO

-B.B King plays Malmsteen- ...amazing rare footage ! - YouTube

PelliX

Reaction score
I've heard Yngwie play "the blues".

It's not that interesting. At least not to me.

Yngwie Malmsteen - Blues Demostration - YouTube

Yngwie Malmsteen-Red House - YouTube

Agree. Sounds butchered - that's not quite my blues.

Balls! I'd never seen that, BB was an amazing player. I have a hand signed picture of him on my wall. Also a gentleman and a character, Yngwie certainly shares the latter...

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Agree. Sounds butchered - that's not quite my blues.

Balls! I'd never seen that, BB was an amazing player. I have a hand signed picture of him on my wall. Also a gentleman and a character, Yngwie certainly shares the latter...
Love BB King. He was always so gracious when I saw him.

He spread a lot of love around the world. Figuratively AND literally.

RIP

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
BB is wicked. no question.
That was a cool overdub of him playin Yngwie. Great editing for certain. The editing was impressive on its own. At first I thought he was really playing it.
Awesome

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
BB is wicked. no question.
That was a cool overdub of him playin Yngwie. Great editing for certain. The editing was impressive on its own. At first I thought he was really playing it.
Awesome
The guy who does those videos is very talented and has a wicked sense of humor.

DaDoc

Reaction score
I wonder how big that venue is?

Nowadays I read and hear about both club owners and players who seem to be of the opinion Marshall heads and 4X12's are relics of the past, verboten and no longer needed..All one needs to play out anywhere is a little combo amp, preferably no more than 20 watts.

Then here's Yngwie, in what looks like a small to moderate sized venue with enough Marshall heads and 4X12 cabs to fill a semi truck! :lol:

I would hate to be on his road crew..

tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

You are an insightful and intelligent chap PelliX.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'm really of the opinion that once you've heard Yngwie shred for a while on one song, you've heard all he has to offer and there's no need to wait for the next track.

Music needs variety. Creativity. Inspiration. I can think of no band, no musicians, who better understood this than Donald Fagen and Walter Becker, AKA Steely Dan. (with the aid of a truly impressive list of guest studio musicians.)

And, B.B. King could say more with ONE note than Yngwie can with a full album of a Sagan ("Billions and billions") of notes.

Technically speaking, I can do what B.B. could do. I can play one note. :cool: But I can't make it sing and thrill you like he could.

PelliX

Reaction score
You are an insightful and intelligent chap PelliX.

Thanks, I like to think that I have my moments of clarity. :)

And, B.B. King could say more with ONE note than Yngwie can with a full album of a Sagan ("Billions and billions") of notes.

Amen. Muddy Waters had that same talent. There are hidden notes all over the fretboard that Muddy knew about. You and I can't find them, but they must be there....