Whats your preference 50 Watt or 100 Watt?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by 1956tvmodel, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Dan Sing

Dan Sing Member

:bowdown:The killing floor... 15 years ago, i bridged three of them (with their double-cabs), a Hendrix-handwired 100Watter SLP 1959, then a 1976 SLP 1959 (100W) and then a new SLP 1959 (100W) from around 2000, all 4 holes without Mastervolume. Was fine, the best i ever had. The guitar was more rarely cranked, beautyful sounds at any position. Yes, at that loudness, pickups, tubes and speakers start an own conversation (replacing a lot of pedals). Only a Dunlop-wah was there and from time to time i switched on a Mrshll-jackhammer in overdrive, more fuzz-like.

Still i play two of them, only the Hendrix handwired is out of reach actually. Yes, i have tinitus, and i do rarely play all flat out meanwhile because i live not more where i lived then (inbetween the hills, in the forest, 3km around not one human neighbour). And i own 4 pedals meanwhile plus a Helix, full of pedals. But it's not more the real thing

Fletcher-Munson-effect, i tell you. The louder it is, the better we hear.

...too and specially the faults...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  2. Wooferhead1

Wooferhead1 Well-Known Member

I never had the pleasure of cranking a 100 watt, would have love to when I was playing some outside venues. Did however crank my 50 watt 2266 and 2 - 425 cabs at a half dozen outdoor shows back in 2010, it had a killer sound clean or dirty with volume 7-8 on high gain, can't imagine a 100 watt. Used a standard strat and 81 Les Paul (pictured). Classic Rock - Love those cabinets.

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  3. Kidlargo

Kidlargo Member

Schenker uses 50w 2205's. Killer tone!! 4some.jpg

Attached Files:

4. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

This was exactly my take and situation the first time i used my SV20H in a loud jam. Nothing was miked and only PA for vocals. Big difference in that versus a PA system where everybody is miked. In that situation i believe I'd been good.

Look, I love my Studio Vintage but in that scenario i found myself wanting a 50 watt head.

I had 50 and 100 watt heads before. I like 50 for the slightly extra gain.

5. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Yes! In all seriousness, if you are getting the tone you want, playing the type of music you want, in the room situation you are in...who cares what the wattage of your amp is? :2c:

6. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I've just ended up with all 100 watt Marshalls, except for the JTM45 reissue. I wasn't seeking out 100s specifically, but that's what deals have come along at the right time.

A 100 watter is only 3 dB louder than a 50 watter. If a 100 is too loud for you, believe me, so is a 50 watter.

If your cranked 100 watt full stack is measuring 125 dB on a sound pressure level meter at a specific location in front of the stack, and you replace the head with a 50 watter,
    you'll still get 122 dB.

A 5 watt amp in the same speakers would make 112 dB.

A Greenback has a sensitivity rating of 98 dB. So a one watt amp can drive it to 98 dB. At 25 watts, the max rating of a Greenback, the level is 112 dB.

For true bedroom practice levels you don't want multiple speakers per cabinet (they do add up the volume level because there is more cone area radiating sound)
    and you don't want high sensitivity speakers, and you don't want to fall into the trap of believing that a 50 watt amp is much quieter than a 100 watt amp.

7. Kossfinger

Kossfinger New Member

100w amps are fantastic. Otherwise, Marshall would be known for ???
    Where do you use em?? Depends on your approach...
    I like amps turned up. That alone makes things difficult. I typically use 50w amps in clubs, with speaker count varying between 1x12,2x12,4x12... depending on volume sensitivity. I have used 100w 2203 in clubs with no issues. Typically I use 100w amps for outdoor gigs. They do sound/feel different than 50w amps. A good 100 will make your day. Trower was doing a gig in my town. He was using a 50?? I said something about it to him after the show, saying it sounded good. He didn’t respond. I would bet he didn’t like it as much. The 100w has more headroom, with a tighter bottom end.. as we should realize by now, Marshall’s aren’t bedroom amps. That’s not what they were designed for?? Of course I come from a time when 50 or 100 was all they made. Now you have plenty of power choices!

Old Punker likes this.
  8. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

50 watts with quality transformers FTW

9. Spooky88

Spooky88 Member

There's not one indoor venue in Bend Oregon I'd use a 100 watt Marshall in. I'll be constructing my 36x36 x12 stick frame studio next year. I might get a full stack after I soundproof it. But it would just be for grins. I already know my JCM 900 4502 does everything I need.

Old Punker likes this.
  10. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

I only have one thing to say about that. lol!
    https://i.imgflip.com/3webdc.jpg

11. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

Right!

12. Antti Heikkinen

Antti Heikkinen Member

I play a 1959 Plexi into a 1936 2x12" and I've removed two power tubes to make it 50w.

It's still far too loud. I've got a master volume at the back, and that's around halfway down, and it's still far too loud.

What I do is I lower my in going signal a bit, which also makes it nicely noiseless and quiet even when I jump the channels and gains are past the noon mark...but it's rather clean when played gently. That's my sweet spot - sounds absolutely great.

I find plexis need quite a bit of EQ as well, and I have two of them actually. Makes it really punchy spanky like a Plexi on ten but still clean - kinda like Chili Peppers under the bridge clean. Very 3D and crunches a bit when played hard.

And then I add a little OD and that's it...my tone heaven. And it's almost but not too loud to play in a small room with the band.

Old Punker, WellBurnTheSky and Crikey like this.
  13. JackTone

JackTone New Member

I've done the 100W bit, prefer 50W to lower wattage amps.

Old Punker likes this.
  14. nkd

nkd Member

To be or not to be - 50 or 100 watts? A case for using a 100W amp.

To put some statements into perspective - "100 watts are for stadiums or playing outdoors", they don't really hold water if we look at the following.

Considering we don't all have FOH with dedicated sound people.

To calculate the following SPL values a 4x12 with G12T-75 speakers, at a distance of 20 feet, is used.

5W = 94dB
    10W = 97dB
    20W = 100dB
    50W = 104dB
    100W = 107dB

Hard hitting drummer averages at 111dB, measured SPL.

Since +10 dB is the level of twice the perceived volume, a 100W watt amp is perceived as twice as loud as a 10W amp.

If the sweet spot for the desired tone is power tube distortion then the amp output is between 99 and 110% of amp capacity, and there will be no available headroom unless a 2 channel amp with master volume is used to create the tone in the preamp. Or two lower power amps are used to get the needed headroom for solos etc.

my 2c :shrug:

Crikey likes this.
  15. Chungaleta

Chungaleta New Member

I love both, depending on the venue you can make them sound great. And I've never needed to kill the audience with 100 watters. You can get a sweet spot at around 6 if using a 2x12

16. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Simple get attenuator and enjoy the amp or get mv marashall

Old Punker likes this.
  17. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

I'll take a 100w for the same reason I'd want a muscle car with a V8 instead of a V6.

18. Revv23

Revv23 Member

I have 50W and 100W... The volume difference isn't really that noticeable. Mostly hear it in the "balls" of the amp so to speak. (100W is tighter... not too much difference in distortion. IMO) Anyone with an amp that lets you switch between power modes knows this to be true. Is it louder in total output? Probably with a DB meter.... Never been in a situation with either where I didn't have "enough" volume. You'll need ear plugs to dime either one and frankly the only impression you get is they are both FRIGGEN loud.

Frankly my Germino 1986 (50W superbass) is the biggest ballbuster of them all because it distorts less than my 100w. Can absolutely rip heads off.

In reality if you need more gain after you hit your desired volume you use pedals... or you have some sort of MV... or you have an attenuator...

I also built an 18w clone around 15 years ago that rocks but with the speakers I have paired with it can get over run by a drummer. Small amps are for practice.

Crikey likes this.
  19. NoelH

NoelH Active Member

50 Watters. Every time. Why? You can turn them up and use more of the amp, if you will. Yeah, I know, the difference in dB isn't that much. But still, the 'sweet spot' for say a 2204 is more manageable than a 2203. And to me there always seems to be something sweeter in the top end. No this isn't a scientific analysis, it's just what I've observed of 4+ decades.
    The other thing I always consider, is that I'm ALWAYS mic'd. And I play with a keyboard player that goes direct, with a small monitor amp onstage. And, I really do not like my speaker cab(s) on-axis. I stay out of in front of my cab so I can interact with the band. I'm not hearing just me and the drummer. So for me a 50 watt half-stack is perfect.

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Paulfmarshall

Paulfmarshall New Member

I played professionally in the 80’s/90’s in Western Canada and we ran 16,000 watts in clubs for PA/Subs. The clubs in Calgary were huge with capacities over 1500 people. This was because of the liquor laws. Remember how decibels work. The difference between 50 and 100 watts is nowhere near double. Maybe 10% louder? On the other post about concert venues, a lot of bands have their cabs isolated below the stage. Some of the on stage cabs are empty fo looks.

Old Punker likes this.