What's Your Favorite Boost?

C-Grin

Reaction score
Looking at the myriad of ways to "boost", what is your favorite? I'm using a couple pedals now a Maxon 808 and my beloved OCD with gain down and volume up. I sometimes use the Boss EQ also but find it noisy. Looking at the EP booster or the Spark to take over the boost duty, but wanted some input from yoos all.

Eric'45

Reaction score
catalinbread-naga-viper.jpg

It's quite noisy, though...

C-Grin

Reaction score
My 2 favorites are the Proco RAT2 and Ibanez TS7. I love the classic TS9 circuit in the TS7 but the hot mode is where it's at with the added gain boost and extra bass. The RAT is my #1 fave.
I do like the Rat myself and use it when things need to get agressive :dude:

C-Grin

Reaction score
I don't recall you mentioning the ubiquitous SD-1.
I also like the beefier BD-2, and for some classic fuzz vibe, the FZ-5.
I have the trio on the front end of my O20H.
View attachment 105025
My bad I do use that one also, I use it for more just a bit of coloring and a touch more gain than the 808 and it does have a delicious mid bump that's not quite as pronounced. I also have a MXR Timmy mini that is nice but almost too transparent for me, if that's a thing.

C-Grin

Reaction score
I don't recall you mentioning the ubiquitous SD-1.
I also like the beefier BD-2, and for some classic fuzz vibe, the FZ-5.
I have the trio on the front end of my O20H.
View attachment 105025
I have had a couple of Blues drivers and always liked them, don't know why I don't have one now.

Eric'45

Reaction score
I have drooled over these, still on the list.

It's a really cool device that can go from classic Rangemaster to clean boost and is also useable as a Full-Range Boost. Because the circuit is 'vintage inspired', as the manual says, there's nothing to suppress noises. So it sometimes clicks when the switch is engaged and with the boost cranked, it's noisy as hell. I'm fine with that, when I record, I can easily silence the parts, and if live drums come into play, it also doesn't matter anymore.
IMHO what it does when I play compensates for what it does when I don't play, easy enough to switch it off during pauses.

Latest posts