>

What's the story on the JMD50?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Maggot Brain, Sep 2, 2021.

1. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

well I saw a local ad for a JMD50 head and I've honestly never heard of them. I looked into them out of curiosity and see they were released about 10ish years ago? Tube powered digital "modeling"? I never hear about it anywhere and specially not here, I imagine it was a huge flop. I have to admit the concept is really cool and I almost feel that possibly the amp was ahead of it's time concept wise.

I'm not interested in getting it but I'm curious about this new to me model.

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Everybody that has one loves them. I only played one once for a few minutes when they first came out and wasnt impressed.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  3. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

They are an amp with a learning curve that's for sure. They take a bit of dialing in, but once you figure them out they are pretty killer amps..footswitchable presets with effects..a zillion tonal options. Love mine ..$400 with the footswitch was a steal. If you buy one make sure it has the footswitch, as they are tough to find, and fairly expensive by themselves if you do happen to find one.

My only gripe is the thin cheap tolex, I put my wah on top of mine over night and the feet left impressions in it...that and the headshell is not ply but some pressed cardboard type shit.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  4. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I have a JMD 100 head. Has 16 models of Marshall amps and tons of FX that I never use. For the people who have the amps they model (JVM, 800, 1974), they say they are spot on. I have none of those amps so I can’t say. I can say, however, that most of the models sound great!

I gig this head often since it is so versatile, but I only use a couple presets.

they only ran for a couple of years, if that. Wasn’t marketed very well from what I remembered. No one really knew about them. I saw one at a pawn shop for $325 and remembered how guys in this forum raved about it. So i bought it and never regretted it.

5. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

They are nice , I had one.

6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I have a 50w and 100w head, pretty decent sounding amps for a hybrid design. Very usable as a stand-alone gigging amp (no pedals).

7. gregr

gregr Well-Known Member

8. Maggot Brain

Well shit... Just what I didn't need to hear!

They seem really cool, great concept and decent approach. I've always wondered why more companies haven't blended the digital and tube. You see solid state hybrids but not really a digital hybrid and I think it's cool. I've read quite a lot of reviews today and they are almost all excellent. I'm extremely surprised I haven't heard of these sooner or atleast payed attention if they were brought up.

Well cool, here's a new rabbit hole to go down!

9. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

Have to do better than that Lol. JK

That dude could make falling down the stairs sound musical- Doug's the man.

10. Gunner64

Yea, He always sounds good plugged into anything.. but he speaks the truth about the JMD. I have absolutely no regrets buying it.

Marshall really needs to revisit this concept..drop the code fiasco (had one) and do the JMD with the same marketing hype the code has..so much more of an amp than the code. And maybe give it a JMP type head Box instead of the pos tissue box they put the first incarnation in.

11. Maggot Brain

Seriously! Him and Andy Martin make everything sound AH MAY ZING... Literally every time I watch either of them play gear I'm left dying for the gear and feeling self conscious about my playing... haha I love both of them. I'd LOVE to hear Andy in an original band. He's got a nice niche and gig going with the gear reviews but the guy exudes talent and guitar excellence... One of few modern guitarist that truly impress me.

Yeah I've played on a Code a few times, years ago I almost bought into the marketed hype but everytime I played it I was left scratching my head as to why Marshall put their name on it... I know some people dig them and I get that but... not my thing at all.

Now the JMD50 sounds promising both in concept and execution and leads me to return to my thought that it seems to have been ahead of it's time. Marshall and their marketing team are all over the map and probably one of Marshall's weakest links. JMD series seems like it was so promising and I'm finding mostly rave reviews. A lot of the reviewers compared it side by side with the real amps it simulates and they insist it sounds nearly dead on... I'm on the boat that Marshall should come back to this concept and win over both digital modeling guys and diehard t00b lovers. I am very open minded to the realm of digital, it is the future and I garuntee a lot of the guitar heros of the past would have been all over the technology had it existed in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Marshall seems to have a lot of sleepers slip thru the cracks and a lot of duds that were marketed to death. I remember seeing only brief hype and marketing of the Vintage Modern and even then it was weak in explaining the true concept of the VM imho. I remember when the Haze came out I couldn't goto a guitar shop without dozens of them stacked around the shop and posters on the walls... This JMD series completely passed me by and so did a few others I've only discovered after they were discontinued... The Code was everywhere ... I don't get why Marshall seems to push the wrong amps...

Oh well.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
    steveb63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Gunner64

Funny you bring up the Haze. I have the Haze 15 full stack also and I think it's pretty damn good too. They can be bassy, but clean boosted with a TS9 with the treble up they can sound like a little 800 2204/3. (I have a couple 2204's, I know the tone well) Haters just need to experiment a bit and see. Not only that, but the little stack with the s&p griil cloth looks cool as shit. No regrets trading a 2014 Gibson SG Junior for it. I had like $465 in the SG..bought it new from sweetwater.

13. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Have one. Love it. I don't need like 12 amp sounds but lick 4 or 5 you like amd can program like a clean, solo 1, solo 2... then run it like a regular amp otherwise. Effects built in, tube power section.
    Sounds great, a fun amp. Even without presets.
    Get it.
    Do it.
    We need a JMD2 and goodbye Code.

14. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I have one. A good amp. Building your own presets is key. Another thing don't let the name of the amp its modelled on effect your psychology, but rather just go by the sound.

There are various ways to build your own presets. I tend to do it like Jet does. I have a clean then a little dirty, and then a little more, and then a lot more. Others may do all presets using the JCM800 models but with different levels of gain or slightly different eq. lots of flexibilty.

You will forget that its not all tube. It's that good.

15. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

yep, just like anything else, the internet forum mob, hated on it, before it came out & after it did, even though they never played it, everyone had their pitchforks & tiki torches out.

They ran it out of town before it ever arrived, like they try w/ most new releases.

So it flopped...

It is a great amp though. I'd rather have it, than a DSL. It has a DSL program, but, it is run w/ a Gov'nr pedal up front, so, it doesn't really sound DSL. It's more DSL on steroids, although I don't necessarily like that patch anyway. I like the JVM patch, the JMP-1 patches are good. A lot of people like the Haze patch...

I put a Raytheon 12AX7 in the PI & 2 RFT EL34 tubes in the power section, biased it to 38.9mV/side & she screams...

Mine has been modded asthetically, w/ a lighted red power switch, white piping & the original owner changed the grillcloth to tolex. (I'd probably rather left the cloth, but, whatever)

[​IMG]

16. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I use presets sparingly, I use mine with the front panel like any amp. Unless I need clean to dirty im the same song then I use a clean preset and switch to panel. For solos I use a solo 1 with more volume amd solo 2 preset with lots of gain amd more volume.
    Yeah don't worry too much about the model names. Go by sound, totally agree. I will use mine at a gig soon I hope. First big gig is tomorrow, I will use the Mesa TC100 amd 2x12.
    That is it.

17. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Now that we have some JMD users here in one place…

can anyone say if the JCM 800 preset actually sounds like a JCM 800. I like that model and I use it, but am I sounding like a JCM 800???? Does it have the same feel and attack???

Sounds good to me, but I’m not really a tone snob.

18. nickfox

nickfox Well-Known Member

I have one also and I also think it's a great amp. @Georgiatec sold me a couple of nos el34s and it sounds great.

The only negative I can think of is that it does have a digital board inside and if the wrong part goes bad, it can't be fixed or replaced. And that could mean the end of the amp.

That's something to consider.

That is an excellent question. One that I am very close to answering. I am going to be doing a very short video comparing my 1983 jcm800 4010 combo with my jmd1 and also my dsl40cr.

I've been wondering this for a long time.

19. Gunner64

I think voicing wise it's fairly close, and as strange as it sounds the 800 preamp mode reponds to a clean boost kind of like my 2204's, and responds to the guitars volume in the same manner as well, but Imo Nothing sounds like the 800 but the 800, but the 800 pre setting sounds pretty good to me.

Seems I set every amp I play through to mimic a 2204..it's just the tone I have used for decades..it's stuck in my soul I guess

Like others said I ignore what the settings are supposed to model and just go for the tone I like.

Let me mention It really is a fun amp to fiddle with. I hate the over complicated modelers that you need a f-ing degree to operate, as I'm a six knob amp kinda guy. The JMD is about as user friendly as a modeler can be. If I can use it anyone can. Mr.Aldrich summed up the operation pretty well. It's that easy.

20. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

One possible weaknesses is that it doesn't data log, but that may have made it more complicated. Write down how you created any presets so you know where you have been and how you got there. This might come in handy once you get to a gig and the room acoustics are completely different. Just using it like a regular amp might the best way to use it in that type of situation.