Whats the one amplifier ( or any piece of gear really) you want to kick yourself for giving up?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Clockworkmike, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

That's why you "sell" them to your best friend for $1 ea with an old dated receipt.:fever:
    Or get a sawzall and split them 50/50..... But not in this case.

2. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

It wasn't all in vain though, it wasn't sold to buy weed! lol.

At the time my main head was a 4100 and the 59 was just a backup. I was heading home from a gig and stopped in a music shop in that town. That shop had a new 6100LM which i had never tried before. After giving it a run i knew i had to have it, damnit this was the amp i was searching for.

They were firm at $1200 and i only had $600 cash on me, no CC or debit or check book. So i am trying to figure out a way to make this work and then it hit me i asked the owner if he would consider another amp on trade for the difference and he said sure. So i ran out to my car grabbed the 59 and dropped that on the counter. They looked it over, hooked it up, played it and then the owner says "that 6100 is all yours" and i nearly jumped through the roof. And the rest is history.

I somewhat regret losing the 59 now as i know more about them but at the time it was just a backup and i never used it, not enough gain! lol It's all good.

3. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Another one for me. I don't really regret selling it, but I do sometimes miss it, and that's my JCM 800 2203. I don't regret selling it because I bought a Gibson Hummingbird with the money I made, and I love that guitar. I also love my JTM 45 and can get 2203 tones by pushing it with certain pedals, so I don't miss my 2203 enough to get another, but it was still a great amp.

4. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Active Member

Roland Juno-60, overvalued the other guy's trade offer (Fender Silverface Vibro-Champ) due to flattering pictures of his amp, and my synth being in pretty bad cosmetic condition. Juno prices went through the roof soon afterwards.
    EBMM StingRay, sold in a drive (along with said Vibro-Champ) to raise cash for an Oberheim OB-8. Though said OB-8 is the heart of my keyboard setup, so no regrets there.
    And a future regret: Gibson Les Paul Junior, up for sale to help fund a Sequential Prophet-5 - the newly announced reissue.

5. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Sovtek MiG60 and Ross Phaser I sold (amongst other things) in the mid-90s to get...a Boss GX700 and Valvestate 8008. Yeah, I know. But I was obsessed with Lukather at the time, wanted to go rack and get all the lush FX and all.
    Not that the GX700 was bad, but the amp and pedals were much better (and more collectable, but I wouldn't have known at the time). Oh well.

6. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Block end 67 50w
    Block end 67 100w
    Pinstripe narrow handle 1960A
    Pinstripe narrow handle 1982B
    Either of the 68 Superleads
    There have been others too but the above torture me the most:confused:

7. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Active Member

I sold said Les Paul Junior today (yesterday where I live?). I'm now down to only humbuckers. At least my other Les Paul has coil splits in case I need the lighter tone of single coils.

Can't blame you, I prefer racks over pedals for effects in general, with the obvious exceptions of wah and drive which should be before the amp. Modulation sounds best after distortion, including that which the amp provides, and I also need to use these for line level synths. My effects rack is a Boss CE-300 modded to take line level signals (the closest thing to the Roland Juno chorus), an Eventide DSP4000 with the guitar and broadcast preset cards for harmonizer and fantasy reverbs, and a Sony MU-R201 and Alesis Quadraverb for if the Eventide is not on reverb duty. The Sony reverb is true stereo, and was also sold as the Ibanez SDR-1000+.

Clockworkmike and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  8. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I forever regretted giving up my 2205 and 2210, but I think I'm finally over it. I replaced those back in the day with Peavey Classic 50's and should have just stuck with them because they sound similar and are actually easier to EQ. These days my main amp is the Peavey Classic 20 Mini 20W head ito an Orange V30 1x12 and every time I light it up I'm so grateful that I don't have to keep dicking with the EQ. Its features are extensive, and all I have to do is turn it on and play.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  9. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

I have never sold an amplifier, which creates a different problem.

But I did bring a Plexi to tech once (in the 80's) and never got it back.

Clockworkmike likes this.
  10. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Probably the Fawn 2203....not because Im that into 2203s ,but it was my 1st Marshall head ,it sounded / looked great and I got a killer deal ,it was under $400. I mean , I actually got a 2203 that's just as cool, now.

11. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

My first guitar amp of ANY kind was a JMP 2203!
    I got it with some birthday money when I was 21 in the early 90's.
    It came with a 1922 cab.
    So far, so good I hear you say.
    But I was a metal-head who just wanted to sound like Hetfield or Hanneman.
    A 2203 with no pedals just doesn't get you there, especially at bedroom volumes.
    Next I added a DOD Thrash Master pedal.
    That was f*cking awful.
    Then I tried an SS 9004 rack preamp, but had no idea how to properly stack gain stages.
    Close, but no cigar.
    I don't know why, but I thought a 1960A cab might help.
    It didn't. :(

So I sold it all and got a Valvestate 8080 combo that put a smile on my face.
    My first encounter with preamp high gain and reverb. :)

So I sort of don't regret selling the 2203, as it was the wrong amp for the younger me.
    But I can't help wondering what I could have done with it if someone had been on hand who knew how to use it properly. :shrug:

Clockworkmike, AlvisX and ibmorjamn like this.
  12. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Bro , sad to hear but I like your taste in amps!
    “ I HATE myself for getting rid of and thats a JCM900 4500 Dual Reverb “
    I to had a JCM DR4500 2x12 combo and highly regret selling it. The only thing I regret more was the late 70’s SG I sold (fool)

13. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I still want one of those !

Clockworkmike and rick16v like this.
  14. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I guess I can't think of anything I regret selling. My tastes have changed pretty drastically over the years, so it's all been for the better really. I am very glad that I got away from digital things though. Playing through a daw. Modeling amps. Digital effects processors. I always had a hard time getting expressive through that stuff.

15. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

My Peavey MkIII and BW cab. :(

AlvisX and Clockworkmike like this.
  16. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

I can't say that I regret selling anything, but there were some purchases that make me think, "WTF was I thinking buying that?"

Lance Chambers and Clockworkmike like this.
  17. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Every time I sold an amp it was for such a good price or good trade that I don't regret it.

That being said, the amp(s) I'd cheerfully buy back if I could find them would be my Mesa/Boogie Mark IIA HRG head, serial number 3114, and the 2203 I sold early this year for the very good price of 2500 dollars. (I'd like to get it back for a lot less. It was a beast of an amp, easily the best 2203 I've personally heard to date. My current one falls well short of that standard.)

18. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

A few:

1955 Gretsch Country Club
    1965 Gibson SG Special
    1970 Ampeg Dan Armstrong Plexi
    Early 70's Ampeg V4 Stack
    Mid 70's Ampeg VT 40 Combo

19. Clockworkmike

Clockworkmike Well-Known Member

Marshalls and SGs, like your style! ( first amp and guitar I ever bought on my own in fact lol)

ibmorjamn and Lance Chambers like this.
  20. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

:drunk:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020