Whats the one amplifier ( or any piece of gear really) you want to kick yourself for giving up?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Clockworkmike, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Clockworkmike

Clockworkmike Well-Known Member

I was recently discussing with a friend about horrible mistakes that people make in getting rid of certain gear, namely amplifiers but anything really. And i thought, " Hey there's a good general public question!" And so, I ask you fine folks: what's the one piece of gear you absolutely want to kick yourself in the ballbag over letting it go from your hands?

For me its really easy: I never got rid of a single guitar Ive ever owned but there were two amplifiers that I HATE myself for getting rid of and thats a JCM900 4500 Dual Reverb and an early Peavey 5150 head.

The Dual Reverb was a stupid mistake on my part over a bitter dispute with the guitar store I bought it from, many years ago. I bought the head and a 1960A Cab but the cabinet had to be ordered, while the head was off the floor. They "loaned" me this awful, 4x10 cabinet until mine came in and after a month of no good news, i sent the head back and got a refund. Ended up buying a JCM900 2500 SLX and a 1960A cab literally down the road at another store, but as time goes on, i really regret getting rid of it.

The 5150 was a case of me bailing out my uncle who was in need of cash and I planned on just kinda holding onto it until he paid me back. However, it turned out he was secretively battling a bad addiction and it became clear I wasn't going to be getting any money back. So I held onto it for a while and eventually, a buddy was really wanting an amp so i sold it to him at a pretty bad loss because I felt bad for him I guess. Unfortunately however, he ended up claiming someone broke into his house and robbed him, including the amp and some guitars he had. However, the "thieves" never took any money or guns he had: he finally admitted he pawned everything and made up a bullshit story because he was blowing money on some gold digger and literally didnt have enough money to eat. Should have just kept it and quit feeling sorry all the time, being a sucker

2. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Epiphone Valve Special

Quest Atak VI Mk2, a weird explorer/destroyer copy

Clockworkmike likes this.
  3. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

JCM 800 2205 and 2210.

Please don't tell anyone else on the forum that I said this.

4. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Teisco Checkmate 50... I regret selling it after I got a Mesa Mark IV...

5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

1959SLP. Never should have sold that.

6. giblesp

giblesp Active Member

Lost the following gear in a divorce. More due to a change of geographical location; taxes if I'd have imported them back to the UK.

Marshall TSL head.
    Gibson Les Paul Studio.
    Fender Jazz Bass American.
    Few pedals, interface, monitors.

It's all been replaced, but the LP Studio was one of a kind, the bass I got at a bargain.

7. trax1139

trax1139 Active Member

Sold my Gibson Custom Shop 57’ Gold Top AND JTM45/1960A 1/2 stack to pay my employees’ health care insurance premiums a few years back. It’s all replaced now...I feel better

8. Clockworkmike

Thats incredibly rough dude lol glad you essentially got all your gear back though! Nice rig too by the way

Mitchell Pearrow and Trelwheen like this.
  9. Clockworkmike

Had to look those two up honestly lol but very rare and nice indeed! Sorry that happened to ya!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. Clockworkmike

Thats unbearably painful dude but I wont narc ya out lol

11. Clockworkmike

Thats a rare amp indeed! They recently began getting some attention, oddly enough from those Positive Grid Spark amps, as thats apparently a tone setting on them.

12. Clockworkmike

Thats a legend that needs no introduction! Very sorry about that

anitoli and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  13. Clockworkmike

And those are the worst stories for why someone got rid of something! Completely sorry about that dude!

Mitchell Pearrow and giblesp like this.
  14. trax1139

trax1139 Active Member

Yeah...I replaced that reissue jtm45 with a Germino 45 Classic. The Classic is MUCH sweeter and true to an original jtm. I bet the reissue Gibby don’t hold up to a real 57’ also.

15. Clockworkmike

Now theres a rare amp too! Recently saw a video from 5wattWorld on youtube about the JTM45 and the geronimo was mentioned. And yeah, its hard to capture the same sound from a reissue vs an original but, they get very close!

Mitchell Pearrow and trax1139 like this.
  16. giblesp

giblesp Active Member

Lesson I've learned; never move in with a woman. Let her stay round mine for a while, and the studio is my personal room. That's where I go when she's moved on, or I've given her the boot.

17. Clockworkmike

I told my wife, well before we ever married, that " the guitars and amps were here well before you and they'll be here long after you're gone" they were my first love anyways lol

18. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Only regret was selling my Marshall Guv'nor pedal, bought it cheap and sold it cheap. I should have also kept my first electric guitar, it was a real piece of Asian trash but if I could do it over I would have kept it to hang on the wall for decoration. :yesway:

19. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Mexican made Jim Root telecaster. Nevermind the active pups, it was the most resonant and playable guitar I've tried. I thought I was losing my job so I sold it in a financial panic.

Have tested a few others but they aren't the same.

20. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Black face super reverb.