What's the deal with the JCM900?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Adey1981, Aug 16, 2020.

1. cozmacozmy

cozmacozmy Active Member

Yet he himself is standing right in front of the amp and wonders why they get so much hate. Which... sounds to me that he thinks it sounds killer. You know, the amp he is in front of. With no studio monitors, etc...

2. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

And he's welcome to love or hate them. Are you saying others cannot form a different sonic opinion? As much as I love Johan, I wouldn't want "his sound". Nor EVH, or a whole lotta other famous players.

3. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member Double Platinum Supporting Member

4. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

Welcome but the bigger question is “what’s the deal with the lack of periods and commas” in a jerry seinfeld voice lol

Sapient and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

My favourite MKIII demo , KT77's
    into a one speaker cab , glorious!

6. cozmacozmy

cozmacozmy Active Member

Just stating that if his assessment is "why all the hate" for these amps... when he is right in front of the speaker.Your comment of you need to listen to some fancy speakers to know there are bad sounding cause. Doesn't quite fit what he was doing.

Not trying to argue. People like different things. The world of music would be awfully boring if it was all played on the same amps and instruments. Am I saying the JCM900 is the best amp in the world? No! Far from it! Am I say the hate these amps get is unjustified? Oh yeah!

Mitchell Pearrow, jeffb and K2JLX like this.
  7. coolidge56

I challenge anyone to gripe about that tone. A mix of dialed in super strat single coil/humbucker tone. You have to imagine that tone in a mix, kick ass imo! Does that sound thin? I think not.

Neptical, Mitchell Pearrow and Kelia like this.
  8. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Well, what I'm getting at is this-If there is the very noticeable difference in listening with studio cans, there will be a more marked difference in the room, because mic's just don't pick up and transmit everything like the human ear. Additionally, its yootoob and compressed to hell. If one is listening on crap speakers, you may not hear much difference and assume they sound the same.

I won't get into the "better" argument- that's subjective that said...

The clip @coolidge56 just posted- That actually is a pretty good representation of why I don't care for the 900s series (in particular the DR) so much.

IN the clip- Genetleman states
    Bass nearly all the way up.
    Mids all the way up
    Treble OFF
    Presence OFF*

That clip sounds fine- as long as you love "smooth". In that clip, there is no bite in his high strings- just hard treble and high mids, and his wound strings sound really smooth/undefined/muddy- pick your "tone keyword" It's a completely different sound than any JMP MV, NMV, JCM MV. It's not open, and it's very focused in the midrange. You are not going to get an Angus sound or Page sound, or Townshend or etc etc Out of that. And if that's not what you want, that's cool- But I think most people who are buying a Marshall want to be able to obtain that type of classic Marshall sound- and thus the fair amount of dislike for the 900s- it was really designed for a specific sound for a specific time. The Jooby and D/TSL series do the 900 can and a fair impersonation of those old amps. Doesn't make them better or worse, it's just different for different folks.

*With the presence off, you are taking away the bite and high end sparkle that is a Marshall "signature", AFAIC.

You can take a 2204 or 1987 get all the Angus/Pagey more open Marshall tones of yesteryear, EQ it sensibly for the venue/speakers, AND then if you want smooth, pick your poison with the right pedal. Eat your cake, and have it too.

9. coolidge56

The JCM900 isn't the amp for everyone among Marshall fans and there's a boat load of players who don't like 'any' Marshall amp. The good news is mint JCM900's remain dirt cheap for those of us who like them. Not bad for a tube driven made in UK Marshall. :shred:

Deftone, svhorton, anitoli and 5 others like this.
  10. NoelH

NoelH Active Member

To me they sound really buzzy. Strange to me that Marshall had a perfectly good product in the JCM800 2205 & 2210, but went to the JCM900 crap. Yeah, yeah, diode clipping, whatever. To me the 2205 is a great sounding amp (with the treble control really low) and the JCM900 Hi-Gain Dual Reverb is not.

11. cozmacozmy

cozmacozmy Active Member

I'd love to have a Plexi! I think the music being played by the band The Brew UK is outstanding for that old Plexi tone! I just dont have the money for one.

My 900 is extremely over rated for the bedroom playing that I do and honestly doesn't really fit the type of music I play nowadays either. I'm drifting towards more blues than the hard rock I use to play.

But I laugh when I see so many people hate on something when you know 90% are just regurgitating what the last guy said. (No I'm not saying anyone here. But the internet in general).

I'm an automotive mechanic by trade. When I was starting out, I HATED Fords with a passion! When I got to know and understand their logic behind how their engineering worked it. I found out they weren't all that bad after all. Volkswagen's now... I'll never like those mother f******!

12. cozmacozmy

cozmacozmy Active Member

I thought the 900's were based off of the 2205? So if the 2205 were good... why not the 900?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Deftone likes this.
  13. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

900's are fine, it's the 2000 series when Marshall's really began to blow...............

svhorton and cozmacozmy like this.
  14. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Very true. In comparison 900's are gems.

svhorton and anitoli like this.
  15. dan46n2

dan46n2 New Member

My first tube amp was a JCM 900, listened to the seller play some AC/DC on it. It sounded awesome. Later on my guitar instructor convinced me to sell it for a JCM 800. The 800 sounds awesome too but wish I never sold the 900, its a great sounding amp.

16. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

I own a current DSL and I will be first to criticize it- it has its issues and I'm pretty meh about it.

But the buying public just doesn't agree with you. The DSL line whether 2000 series or VSL has been going for nearly 25 years and is their best selling line ever.

Mitchell Pearrow and Neptical like this.
  17. anitoli

The VSL's curb appeal had more to do with it's $800 price tag than anything else.

cozmacozmy likes this.
  18. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Sure it's more affordable. But the original JCM era DSLs lasted several years longer in production than the 900 series did.

Like I said, I'm not a big fan, but alot of folks like DSLs. They brought them back because of their reputation, and people are still eating them up because they sound good- The JTM30/60s, 600s, 900s, MAs, VM, Class 5 just didn't/don't have the curb appeal.

19. anitoli

4100 is currently in production.

Mitchell Pearrow and cozmacozmy like this.
  20. coolidge56

That's likely more to do with rapid product development and manufacturing modernization at Marshall than a perceived negative market reaction to JCM900's. PCB board design underwent rapid advancement during this period.

Consider this, the Marshall Astoria an outstanding Marshall amp was only produced for a few years, less than the JCM900 run by far.

Mitchell Pearrow and cozmacozmy like this.