Whats the best Marshall out there, and diferences between different amps?

keennay

Reaction score
Has someone said a Cameron modded Marshall yet??

dreyn77

Reaction score
no please!
can you just call it a cameron. start acting like a real person.

only kids say 'oh it's a marshall changed by somebody.

EVH has balls! woose cameron.

Valves_essential

Reaction score
I've had a few Marshalls and also Laney, Mesa Boogie, Peaveys etc but I never got better than a blue Marshall Anniversary 6101. Great clean sound, loads of versatility of sounds, pentode, triode, different power settings, midi channel switching and compact for small gigs and extendible (additional cab) if required. I swapped out the original Celestion Gold speaker because I never really needed the 300 watt headroom and it was very heavy. This amp is a bit battered now but just had it serviced and new valves and sounds amazing.

I was recently offered (and bought) a 6101 with 5881s. It is in great condition but had problems and needed repair but still sounded amazing. I've just had that one repaired, completely serviced, new valves etc by Steve Dove (SA ampworks) and this one has the original gold speaker. He says this amp is now as good as it could ever be and it does sound great. Think I'm going to have to sell it though coz I'm short of space. Anyone an idea of what these are fetching price wise these days?

Dawis67

Reaction score
no please!
can you just call it a cameron. start acting like a real person.

only kids say 'oh it's a marshall changed by somebody.

EVH has balls! woose cameron.

So you are saying Marshalls sound vintage?...I dont mind that. I wouldnt consider myself being rythm player. I want to do the leads. I dont want to go for Vintage Marshall, but i would want a marshall that is modern in a way but at the same time can get the vintage tones. JVM410 looks good for me, and i can put it on the same stool that my current amp is sitting on. I love the marshall tone, and i never liked EVHs. Imo they sound too modern and i hate modern. It makes me think of Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande. I never liked Eddie, because he is a very cocky person.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Marshall is the best marshall.

I have a pecking order but mine wouldn't reflect yours perhaps.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
So you are saying Marshalls sound vintage?...I dont mind that. I wouldnt consider myself being rythm player. I want to do the leads. I dont want to go for Vintage Marshall, but i would want a marshall that is modern in a way but at the same time can get the vintage tones. JVM410 looks good for me, and i can put it on the same stool that my current amp is sitting on. I love the marshall tone, and i never liked EVHs. Imo they sound too modern and i hate modern. It makes me think of Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande. I never liked Eddie, because he is a very cocky person.

Dsl100h or 50 head jcm 2000 version.

Salsg

Reaction score
If you're conisdering the JVM take the plunge and get a 410.

I think the combo plus adding the JVM 2x12 cab later on would be very cool with nice options of having them stacked essentially being an opeb backed 4x12 or separating them and having a 2x12 on each side of the stage for sound coverage. You could also get a 4x12 if you so choose but honestly a 2x12 combo is enough on its own.

I went thru the upgrade every so often and I would say just get what you want to begin with.

My experience with JVMs would also suggest getting the 410 over any 2xx. I've owned the 2xx series and while nice still don't measure up to what the 410 does. The 410 can play any style of music.
When I got a JVM410H I sold off these amps because the JVM was able to replace them.
DSL100
VM2466
2553 Jubilee
JCM800 2205
Fender Twin Reverb

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

Not that it matters but Slash was hardly the epitome of humble or level headed. Regardless, I think you're on the right track with this!!

If you're conisdering the JVM take the plunge and get a 410.

I think the combo plus adding the JVM 2x12 cab later on would be very cool with nice options of having them stacked essentially being an opeb backed 4x12 or separating them and having a 2x12 on each side of the stage for sound coverage. You could also get a 4x12 if you so choose but honestly a 2x12 combo is enough on its own.

I went thru the upgrade every so often and I would say just get what you want to begin with.

My experience with JVMs would also suggest getting the 410 over any 2xx. I've owned the 2xx series and while nice still don't measure up to what the 410 does. The 410 can play any style of music.
When I got a JVM410H I sold off these amps because the JVM was able to replace them.
DSL100
VM2466
2553 Jubilee
JCM800 2205
Fender Twin Reverb

This ^^^ other than selling the 6100....:D

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I've had a few Marshalls and also Laney, Mesa Boogie, Peaveys etc but I never got better than a blue Marshall Anniversary 6101. Great clean sound, loads of versatility of sounds, pentode, triode, different power settings, midi channel switching and compact for small gigs and extendible (additional cab) if required. I swapped out the original Celestion Gold speaker because I never really needed the 300 watt headroom and it was very heavy. This amp is a bit battered now but just had it serviced and new valves and sounds amazing.

I was recently offered (and bought) a 6101 with 5881s. It is in great condition but had problems and needed repair but still sounded amazing. I've just had that one repaired, completely serviced, new valves etc by Steve Dove (SA ampworks) and this one has the original gold speaker. He says this amp is now as good as it could ever be and it does sound great. Think I'm going to have to sell it though coz I'm short of space. Anyone an idea of what these are fetching price wise these days?

Not sure depending where you live, I've seen a few around here blue '92 in the $1000 - $1200 range.

Force235

Reaction score
The JVM is the modern equivalent the King of all Marshall amps, the 30th Anniversary 6100, which was designed by Marshall to sound like the JTM, JMP, JCM 800 and 900, with it's own little flair..
These are great amps and can be had at a reasonable prices as compared to a JVM, the combo is awesome and can be had for about $1100

ricksconnected

Reaction score
the best marshall is the one you currently have.
if you dont have one you cant go wrong with the
first one you buy. you just gotta ask yourself if
you want tube or SS. once you have one and
have used it for about 6 months to a yr, you will
at that point know what the best marshall will be
for YOU. the best marshall to have FOR YOU
might not be the best marshall FOR ME. get in good
with a solid entry level amp then decide where you want
to go from there. heck, you might not even like
marshall at all. why spend the big $$ on a company
product when you might not like their products?

Dawis67

Reaction score
the best marshall is the one you currently have.
if you dont have one you cant go wrong with the
first one you buy. you just gotta ask yourself if
you want tube or SS. once you have one and
have used it for about 6 months to a yr, you will
at that point know what the best marshall will be
for YOU. the best marshall to have FOR YOU
might not be the best marshall FOR ME. get in good
with a solid entry level amp then decide where you want
to go from there. heck, you might not even like
marshall at all. why spend the big $$ on a company
product when you might not like their products?

I guess you havent seen my previous topics. I own MG15CFX. I dont really like it, distortion sounds kind of muddy and lacks depth. It was good to start with, but i want something legit. If you said JVM410 can do all the Marshalls, im going for it, because i know i like Marshall tone but i dont necceserely want to limit myself to vintage tones.

Now i cant decide if i should get head + 2x12 cab, or combo. Combo might be fine and take less space, but if i was gonna play somewhere i would wana conenct a cab meaning that it would look weird to have combo on a cab. Head+cab is bit more expensive but looks better.

Dawis67

Reaction score
i must have missed it bro. ( the other posts )
are you in a band situation?

Not as of now, but i been trying to gather some people to play with, so in near future i might need giging amp. Im pretty sure im gonna go for 410 but i cant decide between Combo or head+cab.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Depends where you might play. Head and 2x12 or 4x12 is great but again, can be overkill depending where you play. You mention hooking up a cab if you played out somewhere with a combo - try playing a 100 watt combo first!! It might look "weird" on top of a 2x12 or other cab but, honestly, it is plenty!!! I ditched my 4x12 years ago, wouldn't be bad to have one but I have played larger exhibition ground halls and outside gigs and was never anywhere near full volume. It's not all about how it looks or even volume, a 100 watt combo is stupid loud!!
Some people don't like combos for heat, vibration, etc but given what you use now and how insane loud a JVM 100 watt will be, don't worry aboit all that yet. If you want a head and cab and can afford it go ahead. But don't think the combo is sub par to that degree!!

radiomatts

Reaction score
That is nearly impossible to answer without a TON of qualifiers...

Determine a budget, what you want to do and then you can *begin* to somewhat narrow the list...

One thing to remember...all, all tube Marshall amps sound very similar...

I don't know what ears you're using, but your statement about all Marshall amps sounding very similar couldn't be more inaccurate.

Dawis67

Reaction score
Ok, got another question. We assume i will go for 410. What about the maintainance? How often do i need to change tubes and adjust bias?

Also about transporting. I heard that tubes are usually fine while transporting by just wrapping the head in a blanket, but what about speakers? I heard its possible to dammage speakers if transported wrong.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
The best Marshalls are.........mine. not for sale, but they are out there alot. And the differences? Ones black, one is fawn. Thats it.

:lol::shred::hbang::naughty::D

Latest posts