What year did Marshall start writing manufacture dates on the chassis label?

playloud

Reaction score
e

Does the date say 11-5-68? A bit hard to read.

I assume that's how MG are hoping you'll read it. It doesn't look it was a date initially - that "8" (at least) looks like it was opportunistically added with Biro about 50 years after the fact.

This was from their "going straight" era, after the convictions and rebrand...

ApathyForum

Reaction score
I assume that's how MG are hoping you'll read it. It doesn't look it was a date initially - that "8" (at least) looks like it was opportunistically added with Biro about 50 years after the fact.

This was from their "going straight" era, after the convictions and rebrand...
Oh, I get it. :) Thanks.

neikeel

Reaction score
The question is why on earth do that? The names and signatures (at least some of them are genuine late 60s names. Unless it was an early metal panel from 69 plexi-ised?

TAZIN

Reaction score
To be a little more specific the dates I've seen were from mid February 1969.

ApathyForum

Reaction score
I only recently found out that Marshall didn’t always put the dates on the tags. I have a ‘68 SL that is missing part of the label where the date would be. But it appears, according to the info here, that the date was never there to begin with.

TAZIN

Reaction score
I only recently found out that Marshall didn’t always put the dates on the tags. I have a ‘68 SL that is missing part of the label where the date would be. But it appears, according to the info here, that the date was never there to begin with.
The date on the assembly sheet didn't appear to be a mandatory thing when it was instituted.

Ramhead

Reaction score
A friend of mine has this JTM50 Black Flag:

JTM50.jpg

TAZIN

Reaction score
A friend of mine has this JTM50 Black Flag:

JTM50.jpg
A fair share of the amps from this time frame had the serial number written in the Assembly slot on the QC sheet. Rose, Yvonne, Mary and Jean were veteran workers by this time so I'm not sure why they'd put a date on the sheet rather than the serial number. Anyhow, a date of 22 June 1967 would be rather accurate for a JTM "black flag" 50w with a serial number in the mid 10500's.

Ramhead

Reaction score
A fair share of the amps from this time frame had the serial number written in the Assembly slot on the QC sheet. Rose, Yvonne, Mary and Jean were veteran workers by this time so I'm not sure why they'd put a date on the sheet rather than the serial number. Anyhow, a date of 22 June 1967 would be rather accurate for a JTM "black flag" 50w with a serial number in the mid 10500's.
Yes, his amp has 10562 serial number