What Was Your Fisrt Good Guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by axe4me, May 28, 2020.

1. obx351

obx351 Active Member

For me this is a subjective question and has two parts in two places in my lfe. My first "good" guitar was a blond '82 ES-335 dot reissue followed closely by my first "good" vintage guitar, a '58 Les Paul TV Special. Both were bought in the early 90s and, like the [email protected]$$ I was, were sold both in the late 90s. My restart 15+ years ago started with an '01 R8 sunburst followed closely by a red '64 ES-335 (bottom photo on the
    left), both still in my possession.
    58 RI closeup small.jpg SG LP ES and Marshalls smaller.jpg

GIBSON67, jmp45, J Saw and 4 others like this.
  2. guitronics

guitronics New Member

Man,what a deal....was it used when you got it?

3. TST

TST New Member

My first "good" guitar was the very first guitar I bought, an Ibanez Gio. It was the cheapest cool looking guitar I could afford with a Humbucker. Held up pretty well when I had it. I wish I didn't sell it as it had all the memories.

4. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

I bought an Epiphone with Gibson pickups in them about 8 years ago when there was an economic downturn and so Gibson was trying to upgrade the Epiphones to make them appealing and affordable. Little did they know they were a little too good. I haven't bought a Gibson ever and the way Epiphone did NAMM tells me nothing has changed my mind either.

5. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Aw man ,that's horrible (because Im a lifelong Raider fan ,always wanted a silverburst)
    I was 21 in '84 ,so I was just on the edge of goin' either way. Thankfully, I was not swayed by the lure of the super strats ........Doesn't mean I didn't end up trading off a couple Les Pauls

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. nkd

nkd Member

A '71 Ibanez Les Paul Custom bought in '74, I still own it.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    AlvisX and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

New.

8. Baldmusic

Baldmusic New Member

OK, subjective question:
    At about 18 after a series of 'entry level' guitars I bought a brand new black RG550 for $1499 NZD - my dream guitar. It was completely the wrong thing for me, but I was green and enthusiastic! Terrible choice, I should have bought a amazing Paisley Strat that I was torn between at the time. Long since sold.

A couple of years later I bought an Ibanez Blazer - best guitar I ever bought. I still have it and play it regularly.

Another I bought in my early days and should have kept was a lawsuit Ibanez 'Firebird'. An amazing guitar, it was absolutely mint - this would have been late 90's. I sold it to a Japanese collector who flew out to personally collect it, along with several other early Ibanez's I sold at the time from my collection.

PS - a bunch of guys on here still own guitars that they bought new well before I was born ('78). Respect! I would have owned 100's of guitars over the years, but have only kept the Blazer - everything else is for sale at the right price, or until my a bout of GAS hits...

9. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Ya never know what you might like down the road.
    What is the question BTW?

kinleyd likes this.
  10. Gene 689

Gene 689 New Member

Hi all,
    My first guitar to learn on was a Marlin Slammer when I was 16, a cheap strat copy, it was terrible, high action, sounded dull through my dad's amp. Even my dad found it difficult to play, he had been playing about 20 years & was in a club band playing 60's music. I had it about 6 months & was struggling to play it & my dad said I need a better one. My dad had a few catalogues to look at, ( no Internet back in the late 80's) Being a wannabe rock/metal player I was drawn to the Jackson/Charvel/Ibanez guitars. Shark tooth inlays & a whammy bar a must! But these were out of our price range .
    I told a guy at the local Carlsboro music shop what style I liked & he let me look at a few catalogues, Washburn & Hohner. That's when I saw the Hohner Professional ST Scorpion in black! I fell in love with it, it was just what I wanted. It cost £249 back then, cheaper than the Charvel/Jacksons but looked the same. The action & intonation was spot on once adjusted (a good learning excercise for a novice) the pickups "select Designed by EMG" had a switch each to turn on/off so a good range of sounds was available. It sounded great when plugged into the marshall combo in the shop. I wore this guitar out over about 10 years! Frets worn, tremolo worn, electrics still worked fine though. It finally bit the bullet when I slipped carrying it down some stairs, it bounced allot, hit the bottom & the neck snapped
    I learned guitar on this, so it has a special place in my heart. A great guitar for the price with the looks of a guitar twice the price.
    I currently have Jackson Slx in black...reminds me of my Hohner....Happy days......
    Screenshot_20200603-162052-01.jpeg Screenshot_20200603-162039-02.jpeg

11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My first good guitar was a 1971 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe in ‘clownburst’! Lol! I was 15 at the time and I was soooo excited! I bought it new and it came with the rectangular HSC that Gibson included, at the time, with their guitars.

I paid $378 out the door, and with my own money, I was psyched. I’ve only got one pic of it and it’s torn. Here it is, you can see part of the HSC behind me on a table, it’s got orange felt cloth inside.

Oh, and also in the pic is part of my Super Six Reverb, what a behemoth,...and that thing is NOT on a table or stand or something, it’s on the floor!

@BftGibson will appreciate the amp in the pic. :D

[​IMG]

12. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

Very cool pic !! I remember drooling over the LP's in the Sears catalog.. look at that silver !! Nice, thanks for the share

13. richie43

richie43 New Member

Strat1 (2).jpg My very first electric was a Sears Start copy, 1979. I still regret selling that...but with the few dollars I got for it, and with an additional $450 I earned at a crappy dishwashing job, I bought a new 1979 Hard tail Fender Strat, which I still own!

14. groovenev

groovenev Member

went from the no-name finger bleeder to a >67 Gibson SG Melody Maker two pickup with trem. Bright candy RED! which I hacked up and put P90s on it, my folks agreed to buy it if I committed to take private lessons for at least 1 year!.. ha ha ...long gone swapped for a gold top in 70.... LOL
    sg-mm1.jpg

15. dro

dro Well-Known Member

First guitar I bought for myself, a 3/4 scale Fender Musicmaster W/case yardsale $5.00 1972. Still have it. Also my first guitar paint job w/gold leaf. First Real guitar 1980 G&L F-100 series II.

16. Exotic

Exotic Well-Known Member

why does everyone have round guitars? pointy guitars rule ok? ok !

kinleyd likes this.
  17. Karim Mansour

Karim Mansour New Member

First good guitar was actually my first electric guitar, It’s a made in Japan Jackson JS30, It was the entry level Jackson but the quality was great ,still have it till date since 2003, I know it’s relative not a long time compared to most of you guys here but I started at a not so young age ,love this guitar though. The bad thing though is where I live we have a lot of taxes so I paid a little shy of $1000 back then :(

18. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

My 1st good guitar was a used 1987 e series mij stratocaster....was refinished in British racing green and had a dimarzio hs3 in the bridge.

19. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Well-Known Member

My first electric guitar was a Jedson 'Telecaster copy' (of sorts) which I thought was good at the time and still own it. Second a 1963 Stratocaster which is certainly an improvement ! and I still own it.

20. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

I started on a classic, which was my Dad's. *My* first good guitar was a 1976 Gibson Bicentennial Reissue Explorer (the very first reissue of the Explorer) At the time it was just a good used guitar and I paid a few hundred dollars for it in pristine shape. Nowadays it's rare and pricey. I sold it to buy a brand new late era (85 or 86) Norlin Les Paul Custom (Black) that was a gorgeous dog. Horrible mistake. The next weekend I went back to the store, but The Explorer was already gone and I couldn't buy it back.

Anyhoo- learned my cowboy chords (TIE- the Eagles) on this 1954 Gibson ES-125. He's a Woman, She's a Man sounded pretty righteous on it, believe it or not.

125 resize.jpg