What values do I need to make my 1959SLP clone sound stock?

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by Rick Lee, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Active Member Gold Supporting Member

I built this amp a few years ago.
    http://valvestorm.com/sites/default/files/100_WATT_PLEXI_AMP_KIT.pdf

I used Merren iron and I think I used everything listed in these instructions as far as caps and resistors. It sounds awesome, but I've recently seen some Youtube videos of the stock 1959SLP reissues that have just a little more gain and mojo.

This one here has me really jonesing for this exact amp.

What changes do I need to make to my clone build to make it sound like this. Mind you, I often play at full tilt, have nice speaker cabs, Les Paul, etc., but want to sound like this before coloring it with a pedal.

2. william vogel

william vogel Well-Known Member

If you built it with the components listed with the yellow “M” in the build sheet you’re almost there. Your amp should have Mallory coupling caps as per valvestorm specs. The Marshall handwired amps use the ERO Vishay caps that Valvestorm sells and they aren’t expensive. Will this cap change make your amp sound like the video? I’ve never recorded anything that sounded like it sounds live. The transformers you have are probably the best for a vintage sound. I’ve had several Marshall reissue amps and none of them sound like vintage Plexi’s.

3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The combination of tubes makes the difference no to amps sound the same close but not the same . Start with the preamp tubes and see what direction you need to go before modding the amp .

4. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

I hear some coloring from reverb so who knows what else is being used. Also might be using an attenuator, that box on top.

5. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

The amp in your clip is the HW and is very close to the original plexis, and your amp should be pretty much identical to the one in the clips. Subtle things that will be important at the lower volumes that he played will be the channel I bypass cap 100pF vs 1000pF vs 4n7. If you listen to George Metropoulos clips with your amp using cap vs no cap around the 7-8 region on the volume pot.

I would be able to dial in any of my plexis to give the tones in that video with pot and EQ tweaking and a good one to be able to achieve the same with mainly just a good guitar.

Curiously I found this of an amp I made a few years ago. The recording goes through a reasonable range of tones;

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Hotter guitar pickups will make a difference. :yesway:

7. Rick Lee

I have one of George's new Head Masters coming on Monday. I'd love to find a local stock Marshall 1959SLP and A/B it with my build.

BTW, I did one of those 12000 builds a few years ago too and kind of wish I had kept it. It sounds different than my '69-spec build.

8. Rick Lee

Here's a clip of my 1959 build from a few months ago. No pedals, just plugged straight in. I used an EBMM Axis and recorded with my iPhone on a chair, very high tech stuff.

9. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me, what don't you like?

10. Rick Lee

I don't think it sounds like that anymore. Probably my ears, but I like the tone in the YT video I posted and mine does not sound like that to me.