>

What To Expect From A Jtm 45?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by BanditPanda, Mar 26, 2019.

1. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

My tech has a JTM clone which he built a few years ago.
    While I am waiting for his answers back concerning tubes / transformer/caps/negative feedback circuit/ aluminum chassis / point to point etc, etc I am wondering what to expect from a JTM 45.
    For example will I need an attenuator to get that tone?
    I've listened on line to one of our members Michael R/T JTM 45 mods and Michael plays a very aggressive hard rock / metalish tonal sounding type of music. I'm just looking for that vintage old rock tone in the neighborhoods of lets say ZZ Top, Thin Lizzy ( The Boys Are Back In Town) , Mountain ( Mississippi Queen), The Who ( Summertime Blues ), Bowie ( Ziggy Stardust, Rebel Rebel) and of course I'll be wanting to play some Stones / Clapton etc., etc.
    So right now I'm playing thru the DSL 40 ( head conversion ) and for the tones I want I'm going to a myriad of pedals ( Catalinbread SFT for early Stones, Marvel FX for kind of JCM 800 sounds,
    JHS Charlie Brown & Mooer Blues Crab for JTM 45 sounds ) and so I'm kind of getting fed up with dialing in pedals and I'm thinking I should just get the amp that will give me one tone that I want and maybe a pedal or two for O/D , clean boost or whatever.
    Do you think the JTM 45 will do it?
    Thanks,
    BP

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

How loud do you want to be? A stock JTM45 is clean as clean can be, you gotta crank it to crazy volumes to get any gain out of it, you could mod it in a lot of different ways if that's the direction you want to go. If you like JCM800 get a 2204, 2203 or the new SC20 to get the tones you like, you can get some breakup at reasonable volumes then push it with a boost or OD for anything heavier.

netlocal, johnfv, MarshallDog and 5 others like this.
  3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Thanks Pede. Appreciate it. No I don't want clean as clean can be 'cause then I just end up with probably the same amount of pedals on my board as I do now!
    Right now just playing in my basement so don't need that loud. Means I don't want to crank it in order to get slight grit/break up Marshall tone. As mentioned I'm not looking for aggressive tones but rather a sweet rocknroll break up as in the songs I mentioned.
    Is not the 800 series an aggressive sounding tone or can it be dialed in to be less so?
    Perhaps, being on the budget that I am, the Origin may give me what I want?
    BP

4. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I would say, go with an Origin and add an Exotic EP Booster as an always on pedal to thicken it up.

5. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Honestly, even though the JTM45 has what I think is the best clean tone on the planet (I used to own a Ceriatone JTM45, amazing clean, and wonderful pedal platform), I wouldn't recommend it for what you want it to be.
    For Lizzy, ZZ Top, and similar, I think a better choice would a 1987x (or any other variation around the Lead/Superlead theme), if you can play it loud. Or alternatively, the new Studio Vintage 20h. Or if you're on a budget, the Origin as mentioned.
    But the JTM need volume to break up, and get loud pretty fast, even if you have a PPIMV installed (my Ceriatone had one).
    And as good as Michael RT's mods are (and his clips do sound awesome), his amps are quite heavily modded. I remember him mentioning he was using the 1 wire mode, which is what was on Randy Rhoads's amp, amongst others. So, do not expect that kind of tones from a stock JTM, they are not there, especially at a "sensible" volume.

6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

First, you have to decide if the tone (and feel) you want is typical of a master volume amp, or a non master volume amp. With any non master volume amp, to get the sound they're known for, you'll want an attenuator, even if it's only a 20w amp. Once you have a good attenuator, you can control just about any amp. I have a JTM45 Reissue, which has only one mod, I changed the bright cap. I was playing through it a couple of days ago, using my Power Brake attenuator, and I was getting everything from AC/DC to Dokken levels of distortion, with no pedals (talking Dokken ryhthm levels). Was kind of surprising, coming from a JTM45. You can get Plexi'ish tones from some master volume Marshall's, but it requires cranking the master and using the preamp gain as volume control (gets loud very quick). You really need to try some of these amps, but to get anything close to a Plexi crunch (output tube distortion) from either type amp, you'll need an attenuator.

7. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

BP I also recommend checking out the origin, the 20 watt sounds just as good as the 50, go with the head it will pair up sweet with the head you made out of your 40c! Cheers Mitch

8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

An 800 is not aggressive unless you crank it to stadium levels or put a distortion pedal in front of it. 800's are very low gain, for home play a stock 800 on volume 1 with preamp on 5 will give you edge of breakup perfect for most of the music you mentioned, then step on a clean boost to push it further into crunch. You could try an Origin if thats whats in your price range, buy from somewhere you can return it if you dont like it, I liked the Origin but thought it was too loud for home play personally to get the tones I like.

An SC20H would be perfect for you. :yesway:

9. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Used a 45 for years. the tones your trying to get , your gonna need pedals. The thing I like about the 45 is the sweet cleans. Although they get a bit more dirt as the night goes on and the tubes start to heat up. But unless your willing to dime the amp you won't get the drive you are looking for. That being said, a cranked JTM 45 will give you a drive that's nothing short of orgasmic. It's a different kind of drive than you'd get out of an 800 or 2204 which are very similar. Because with the JTM you are driving the output tubes hard. More like a 1959. but with the rectifier tube. Run it through a BX greenback cab
    Very musical and very touch sensitive. lightly pick it and it sounds clean as can be, but strike it and explosion happens. I love em. Hauled one around for a long, long, time. Wish I had a roadie,,,,,, but still a go to in the studio. You can have your plugins and emulations. Give me the real thing any day.

10. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Yes, you will need an attenuator or pedals with a 45. But the foundation tone quality is second to none. Also has a great feel once loud that a bassman can't touch. Likes GBs, or Alnicos, even gets along with V30s.

Also consider a Vintage Modern. Used prices are in the same range as Origin new prices. It should get most of those tones, including a great clean, but doesn't need an attenuator or pedals.

11. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

I expect one in my amp lineup pretty soon. contemplating..the options,,going strait to my amp guy soon as i get whatever form of one ...

Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  12. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Marshall Silver Jubilee.

Kinkless Tetrode and stringtree like this.
  13. marshallmellowed

Bright cap mod is the first thing I'd do to a 45, significant improvement for almost zero $$.

14. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

I have a JTM 60 head (my avitar) that I use with a 1960 Lead cab. I'm a little lost as to what to expect from it.
    Essentially the same as a JTM 45?

15. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

This is the most frequently performed modification, yet Marshall refuses to include a defeat function. This should be standard across the entire platform.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  16. BrentD

BrentD Active Member

I have one that I run through an AX cab. For AC/DC, early ZZ Top, that kind of stuff it'll work but it'll be loud. You will need an attenuator if you're basement jamming.

It always sounds good, but for "tight-enough" high gain the sweet spot is narrow. With humbuckers it'll get mushy cranked up (think some of the darker ZZ Top stuff), but backed off to 7 or so will get that great Malcolm Young thing going on with brighter, lower-output humbuckers or single coils. On 7 or 8 with a Tele backed off it'll nail that Jesus Just Left Chicago tone, too.

17. marshallmellowed

This is where the bright cap mod comes in, it'll fix the "mushy".

18. BrentD

BrentD Active Member

I usually blend the channels with a jumper. I avoid a lot of mush by lowering the normal channel volume, but could see how the mod would help.

I think some of the mush comes from the tube rectifier, too. The bloom is beautiful on single notes, but if you're running all out you lose the classic kerrang! - I think this quicker response would be the benefit to a 1987X, though we're talking face-melting volume by the time it becomes an issue.

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  19. Melodyman

Melodyman Active Member

Couple of things to add here. The stock amp comes with really crappy tubes. Getting some good old NOS ones all round makes a huge difference to the sound. Also, the speaker choice is part of the equation as the less efficient the speaker you choose is the harder you can push the amp to get the sound out of them which adds to the grunt effect. I bought my reissue in 2006 and had a Metropolous PTP vintage recreation turret board made for it. Also added a Mercury Magnetics Radio Spares output tranny which brought the output up to 45 watts from the stock 30 watts they come with in the reissues and have prettymuch as close as you can get to a 1965/66 spec 45. Its loud and very Angus like. One mod I did was to remove the negative feedback circuit which gives it basically preamp on 10 from the get go..so it gets some amazing sounds without having to crank it to 10. Playing it thru 2 innefficient celestion 75watt speakers in a 1936 cab allows me to crank it up to push the amp more.. However, after all this is said and done, I have recently moved to an origin 50c (retubed with NOS tubes) because in the end even after all these things I did, while it sounds amazing and I still use it for the larger venues and outdoor shows, the JTM45 is just too loud for most smaller gigs I have moved on to today. Got tired of having to get the sound I wanted thru pushing the front end with drive pedals and even did the Rivera Rockcrusher attenuator thing for awhile too. But not the sound I wanted. If I were you I'd go play that amp thru the setup you intend to use and see if you can get what you want before comitting to the purchase..

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  20. paulorr8179

paulorr8179 Active Member

I've had a JTM45, JCM800, JCM900, Silver Jubilee and the Jubilee does the full spectrum of tone. Beautiful cleans, rock crunch, and high gain almost metal. Better than pedals can do.

BanditPanda and Kinkless Tetrode like this.