What studio???

Moony

Reaction score
You sure must know someone who can solder if you cant do it yourself. Johns attenuator can be built for under 100$ and it works beautifully. If you read the thread theres a lot of information regarding where to source parts and what the best options are. Theres even a very easy to follow diagram that Gene kindly provided. I understand though if you think its too complex as first project. Hope you sort it out either way and enjoy your amp!

Thanks for your kind words.
I'm not asking for myself, I know how to solder.
On a German musicians forum we have these attenuator discussions every now and then - and there are people who are dropping hundreds of Euros on attenuators - so if there was an already built MF approved attenuator available for purchase at a good price point that would have been something that I could recommend to them.
I personally don't need one atm because I mainly play JVMs.

You don’t need an attenuator for an SC20.

At least less of a must have than with the SV20 if you're playing at lower volumes.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
There are no commercially available "passive" attenuators that perform even close to as well as the @JohnH design, for less than +$500! And even most of those units are not actually "passive" but instead various sorts of re-amping devices! The main reason none of the lovers of the JohnH design offer assembly service is, I suspect, the liability of someone using it improperly, business licensing, insurance, customer service/support, and all the other stuff that goes with having a business, etc, ad nauseam! Once you tack all that crap on top of the component/materials pricing and $150-ish for labor costs, the price would be in the neighborhood of +/-$500. Liability and unrealistically unhappy customers are, I believe, the biggest factors. I know that is why I haven't offered such a service, though I've thought about it and building a couple/few per month could certainly help enhance my "broken" retirement finances!

Learning to solder, use a drill and a few other hand tools, along with the purchase of said equipment/tools is less than $150 and is a set of skills that a person will have for a lifetime. Of course, having no interest, ambition and/or desire to develop those skills certainly comes at a premium price. Just think how expensive it would be to have someone on hand to perform the very simple task of wiping your butt for you! :shrug: I do have a bidet attachment for my commode seat, butt that's another story and while reasonable, it DID cost a few $$! :p It was however, a one time expense that will provide me with many years of always having a truly clean arse!

Just Attenuatin'
Gene

Last edited:

Moony

Reaction score
Learning to solder, use a drill and a few other hand tools, along with the purchase of said equipment/tools is less than $150 and is a set of skills that a person will have for a lifetime.

On point! That's what I tell people all the time even when it's only about changing pickups or a defective pot in their guitars.
Then they say "I'd rather play the guitar instead of tinker around with that stuff" - some of them are even not able to adjust a trussrod to get a proper neck relief.

The main reason none of the lovers of the JohnH design offer assembly service is, I suspect, the liability of someone using it improperly, business licensing, insurance, customer service/support, and all the other stuff that goes with having a business, etc, ad nauseam! Once you tack all that crap on top of the component/materials pricing and $150-ish for labor costs, the price would be in the neighborhood of +/-$500. Liability and unrealistically unhappy customers are, I believe, the biggest factors. I know that is why I haven't offered such a service, though I've thought about it and building a couple/few per month could certainly help enhance my "broken" retirement finsnces!

I can understand that.
My question was more about if an established brand already has adapted that idea/schematic.
I mean pedals for example are cloned all the time by some asian companies like Mooer, Joyo etc.. so it wouldn't be a problem for them to offer such a passive attenuator. They already have their business running.

C-4

Reaction score
I am reading about attenuators, but what about putting a volume box with a dial to lower the volume of the preamp?

when looking at the three mini heads, you definitely need to consider what style(s) of music you will be using them for.
without considering this, you might be buying the wrong amp.

Personally, while I love the sounds of the Plexi, and 2203's, my needs dictate a slightly more flexible amp, so I opted for the Jubilee, and found that I was able to get similar, not exact sounds to the
SV20 and SC20, but close enough in a band mix to easily give me what I needed.

I also use a Line 6 HXFX in the loop and get everything I need and more using the 2525H.

Ideally, I would have purchased all three, but the 2525H is a killer amp, when it is learned how to be used in different situations.

Old Punker

Reaction score
I remember hearing a couple of Oasis songs in the past and they had a low gain, fairly bright sound. I own an SC20H and it can do anything from lower gain Plexi like tones to 80's hard rock/metal, so no problem there. With the master volume you can dial this tone in at low volume too. The matching cab with V-Type speakers should be a good match for the Britpop tone as well. And you shouldn't need an attenuator. :D

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
Sorry for yet another what amp thread but I wonder if I could seek some advice please. I have an Astoria Dual Combo which I love but I am looking to buy another amp and am gassing badly for studio head and cab. If I didn't have the Astoria then the SV would be the one I'd get although tbh I have limited experience with a NMV amp. However I'm not sure if the SV would be too similar to the Astoria sound wise and want something a little different but reflects what I like to play, so have been looking at the SC and the Jub. Again though I've had no real experience with single channel amps and as this is all about distortion from what I read with the SC I'm not sure this is the right amp for me either but happy to take advice on this one. So to the Jub. I've read this is a modded SC type sound on the gain side but does have a good clean. I'm not into really heavy dirt sound so is this too much amp in respect of that gain sound. Is it wasted with what I want to play. I'm in a right conundrum as I want a studio but not sure what one...I don't want an Origin. So, my playing. I play alot of solo Weller which the Astoria does well and also Beatles. However I also play a lot of Britpop, mainly Oasis but others too. Oasis sound particularly early was a cranked JCM900 which the Astoria doesn't get imo. So hence looking for a Studio that gives me the cranked Oasis JCM sound but also gets a good clean. Will the Jub do that? Guitars I play are Gibson Studio and SG. US Performer Strat and Epi Riviera. The forum answer could be all three but budget and space means just one I'm afraid.....
I would’ve thought the Astoria Dual would be perfect for channel switching from clean to driven sounds. That should be the Oasis amp or at least I think it’d be good for it

Paul Weller is known for using primarily an AC30 or a Lead and Bass 50 watt JMP combo. He has been seen playing a Peavey and a Master Volume JMP during points in his career but if I think of his sound it’s a 4 hole Marshall and the SV20 does it well. If you can get away with playing the amp loud then a twist of the volume knob or a delicate strumming hand makes me get glassy cleans to as much gain as I want. The SV20 and NMV amps in general seem to be extremely touch sensitive

Essexmark

Reaction score
I would’ve thought the Astoria Dual would be perfect for channel switching from clean to driven sounds. That should be the Oasis amp or at least I think it’d be good for it

Paul Weller is known for using primarily an AC30 or a Lead and Bass 50 watt JMP combo. He has been seen playing a Peavey and a Master Volume JMP during points in his career but if I think of his sound it’s a 4 hole Marshall and the SV20 does it well. If you can get away with playing the amp loud then a twist of the volume knob or a delicate strumming hand makes me get glassy cleans to as much gain as I want. The SV20 and NMV amps in general seem to be extremely touch sensitive
Thanks mate. Im starting to lean towards the SV if I'm honest. You are right, although the Oasis early sound was cranked JCM900s it wasn't all about gain. The Astori

Thanks mate. I tend to agree re Oasis. It was during their early days that they played through cranked JCM900s, in the later periods it was more low gain. I think the Dual with something like a Scran pedal for the heavier sols stuff will get me close. I am starting to think that an SV may also be better for Weller tones too. You are right re the lead and bass amp but also know he has played a Bluesbreaker too. It's his solo rather than Jam sound I'm looking for. Thanks for reply.

Essexmark

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll let you know how I get on. Next rabbit hole will be Attenuators....!

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
Sorry for yet another what amp thread but I wonder if I could seek some advice please. I have an Astoria Dual Combo which I love but I am looking to buy another amp and am gassing badly for studio head and cab. If I didn't have the Astoria then the SV would be the one I'd get although tbh I have limited experience with a NMV amp. However I'm not sure if the SV would be too similar to the Astoria sound wise and want something a little different but reflects what I like to play, so have been looking at the SC and the Jub. Again though I've had no real experience with single channel amps and as this is all about distortion from what I read with the SC I'm not sure this is the right amp for me either but happy to take advice on this one. So to the Jub. I've read this is a modded SC type sound on the gain side but does have a good clean. I'm not into really heavy dirt sound so is this too much amp in respect of that gain sound. Is it wasted with what I want to play. I'm in a right conundrum as I want a studio but not sure what one...I don't want an Origin. So, my playing. I play alot of solo Weller which the Astoria does well and also Beatles. However I also play a lot of Britpop, mainly Oasis but others too. Oasis sound particularly early was a cranked JCM900 which the Astoria doesn't get imo. So hence looking for a Studio that gives me the cranked Oasis JCM sound but also gets a good clean. Will the Jub do that? Guitars I play are Gibson Studio and SG. US Performer Strat and Epi Riviera. The forum answer could be all three but budget and space means just one I'm afraid.....
Buy whichever Studio you like, but you already have the perfect amp for the material you are playing. My Astoria Dual is perfect for Oasis (We play "Rock & Roll Star", "Some Might Say" and "Waiting For The Rapture"). Just use a bit of overdrive in front if you want a bit more hair.

Essexmark

Reaction score
Buy whichever Studio you like, but you already have the perfect amp for the material you are playing. My Astoria Dual is perfect for Oasis (We play "Rock & Roll Star", "Some Might Say" and "Waiting For The Rapture"). Just use a bit of overdrive in front if you want a bit more hair.
Thanks mate. That's interesting that you use it for those songs. Believe it or not I've only used the amp briefly for week or so. It was unboxed NOS but had some cosmetic damage so went via the dealer here in the UK back to Marshall. Its been with them 6 weeks now. Are you able to let me have your settings for Rock and Roll star when you have a moment if you don't mind? That will be a great base start for dialling it in when I do get the amp back. Thanks for your reply mate.

dro

Reaction score
I bought the Mini Jube, when it was the only 20w British made amp out.

Have played both the SC, and SV amps at local GC.

For my money the Jube has the best cleans of em all. (using as pedal platfoarm)

I like the SC's overdrive. JCM800 it's not. But, it's not bad.

Never tried the Astoria. Probably a good thing.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
Thanks mate. Im starting to lean towards the SV if I'm honest. You are right, although the Oasis early sound was cranked JCM900s it wasn't all about gain. The Astori

Thanks mate. I tend to agree re Oasis. It was during their early days that they played through cranked JCM900s, in the later periods it was more low gain. I think the Dual with something like a Scran pedal for the heavier sols stuff will get me close. I am starting to think that an SV may also be better for Weller tones too. You are right re the lead and bass amp but also know he has played a Bluesbreaker too. It's his solo rather than Jam sound I'm looking for. Thanks for reply.
Honestly I know more about this time with The Jam and The Style Council but even during his solo career in the ‘90s and present he’s been known to use that lead and bass 50w. It’s a 2x12 combo some folks call a bluesbreaker and I’m not sure if that’s the “bluesbreaker” you were referring to or not.

It’s based on a Marshall 2100 2x12 that was made from 1973-1976 if it’s the signature white 2x12 combo with the blue and red circle in a corner. It’s closer to a standard JMP 50 than a JTM style amp. It has both a 1987 lead circuit and a 1986 bass circuit in the same amp from what I understand. There isn’t really a Marshall around today that sounds dead on to a 1986 and I’m not sure how the lead and bass compares to a full on bass head but out of all the modern offerings the SV20 will at least do the 1987 lead circuit justice and that’s half the amp of a 2100 lead and bass which Paul Weller’s amp is based from my understanding

Essexmark

Reaction score
Honestly I know more about this time with The Jam and The Style Council but even during his solo career in the ‘90s and present he’s been known to use that lead and bass 50w. It’s a 2x12 combo some folks call a bluesbreaker and I’m not sure if that’s the “bluesbreaker” you were referring to or not.

It’s based on a Marshall 2100 2x12 that was made from 1973-1976 if it’s the signature white 2x12 combo with the blue and red circle in a corner. It’s closer to a standard JMP 50 than a JTM style amp. It has both a 1987 lead circuit and a 1986 bass circuit in the same amp from what I understand. There isn’t really a Marshall around today that sounds dead on to a 1986 and I’m not sure how the lead and bass compares to a full on bass head but out of all the modern offerings the SV20 will at least do the 1987 lead circuit justice and that’s half the amp of a 2100 lead and bass which Paul Weller’s amp is based from my understanding
That's really really helpful mate. Thanks for that. Looks like a SV20 is on its way. Thanks again, really appreciate your reply. Good helpful forum this is.

1234_thumbwar

Reaction score
That's really really helpful mate. Thanks for that. Looks like a SV20 is on its way. Thanks again, really appreciate your reply. Good helpful forum this is.
Good luck on the tone hunt, idk if you’re looking to really get the entirety of his sound down but I think the lead and bass combo he uses has a pair of g12m or at least the original 2100 had some g12m with either greenbacks or blackbacks covering. The heritage series g12m is probably the closest in sound to those classic speakers. The celestion evh g12m is basically the same speaker that may or may not be more affordable and some claim the speaker output handling is underrated at 20 and should really be 25 compared to 20w in the heritage g12m

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
My settings are OD channel Volume full, and Gain on 9, Body on. Bass, 6 Mid, 6, Treble, 4, Edge, 4. Master 4-6, sounds best on 6, but can be too loud for small venues.
I have the clean channel all the way up. 🙂👍

Essexmark

Reaction score
My settings are OD channel Volume full, and Gain on 9, Body on. Bass, 6 Mid, 6, Treble, 4, Edge, 4. Master 4-6, sounds best on 6, but can be too loud for small venues.
I have the clean channel all the way up. 🙂👍
Thanks mate, much appreciated

Latest posts