>

What pedal tuner do you use and why?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Vinsanitizer, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Ray Baker

Ray Baker Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Interesting thread, only three weeks ago I discovered that my three Boss TU-2's didn't agree with one another. I had always wanted strobe tuner like Angus was using in the Let There be Rock movie. I did some Ebay research and they were way to expensive. I landed on a Peterson StrobeStomp. I have a microphone running over head so it picks up from whichever stack I am running out of. I had one of those clamp on ones and it turned out to be garbage. Since I don't gig anymore there is no need for me to have a tuner on every pedalboard and I can see the large readout very well from about twenty feet away. Since you question intonation and sounds like you care about it's accuracy: For adjusting intonation I place the guitar on two feather pillows so the neck is completely cantilevered and unaffected by any influence, tune the guitar then place a capo on the twelfth fret and make my adjustments. The feather pillows "hug" the guitar and keep in in place. I also bring the room to 75^f and ideally 50% humidity, most of us don't have humidity control so I live with what I get at 75^f. I'm with @ricksdisconnected too, lot's of tuner pedals I have never heard of but very cool thread.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    ricksdisconnected likes this.
  2. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

On my pedalboard I use a BOSS TU-3.
    I use a BOSS TU12EX on my workbench.

3. Fred_Bee

Fred_Bee New Member

It is not, I can confirm that, and I can tell you it has even given me better results than the 1-spot power supply I used to use. ;)

Georgiatec likes this.
  4. BUTTONTY

BUTTONTY New Member

I have a planet waves oscillating tuner. It works very good, and is solid. Its heavy as a brick. But i took it apart once, and found it has a GIANT weight in it to make it heavier. I'm not sure if this is to increase the sitting weight to decrease its kick-over-ness, or to make you think " this is heavy, must be quality" but either way not bad lol

5. Marc Johnson

Marc Johnson New Member

Since I went with the Fractal Axe-FX 3, I have retired all the pedals except for my Behringer FCB1010 controller. Prior to that, I used a Korg DT10 that I've had for 20 years. It has worked flawlessly the entire time and is built like a tank. If I needed a tuner again, I'd buy another just like it.

6. JaxLPGuy

JaxLPGuy New Member

I use a Donner on my guitar board. The driving force is that it's small and I didn't have much real estate. On my bass rig I have a Boss TU-3.

7. Chrome

Chrome Firebird Freak Gold Supporting Member

I use a Boss TU-3, very user friendly. our band we play 1/2 step down. you can set it to standard tuning 1/2 step down, then play your progressions in standard tuning. the TU-2 did not have that option. it makes things very easy.

jimmyjames likes this.
  8. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Boss TU-2. I've had it for over 20 years now.

9. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    I really like Joyo's stuff. Have quite a few of their pedals. Hot Plexi, Analogue Chorus & 6 band EQ are all really good too. I currently use the Caline CP-06 battery power supply that is completely silent. I much prefer the battery pack types to the plug in, always connected to the mains, transformer type. The mains supply in venues is variable, so I like to take that out of the equation.

10. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ______. sṓzō .______ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I bought this thing today. It's ok for now - for setting intonations and tuning up and stuff. The larger desktop/bench version is twice the price. I considered it for somewhere between 16 and 43 seconds before I went "nah".

Sets up intonation well, has tempered tunings, the one for electric guitar works well, it kinda goes on this sort of silophosy:
    • Normal guitar tuning will get you some chords in perfect tune, but others not so much.
    • Tempered tuning will get you all chords out of tune, but they will be less out of tune than with regular tuning.
    So unless you get the Buzz Feinton thing or a guitar with compensated frets, this is about as good as it gets with tempered tunings:

[​IMG]

Do you people understand?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    CraigP likes this.
  11. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

16 and 43 seconds? Dude ......One should ALWAYS round up on gear purchases.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  12. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ______. sṓzō .______ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I couldn't remember how long. I was just standing there at the counter going :scratch:. It seemed like more than 15 seconds, but less than a whole minute.

CraigP likes this.
  13. CraigP

CraigP Well-Known Member

:monkey:LMAO...okay, I understand now

14. scraven

scraven New Member Platinum Supporting Member

Peterson Stomp Strobe: Super accurate, immediate string change, 100% bypass.

15. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

The Snark died, so I'm back to the EHX-2020 for the time being, but it's not going on the pedalboard. It can sit next to it.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  16. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

The only tuning irregularity should be between the G and B strings because the interval there is a major third rather than a perfect fourth. I tune all my strings open, and they are all in tune all the way up to the 24th fret. I do have to adjust the B string a little sometimes as a compromise because of equal temperament and the problematic third interval. I think studio guy is referring to just intonation in a round about way.

17. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Been using Peterson strobes since the 70's. If you want to be in tune. Peterson is how you get there. When building my big pedalboard. Didn't have enough room for the strobostomp. So, all intonation done with analogue strobe, and put pitchblack on pedalboard. Was eeeehhhh ok. Decided to downsize my board. Strobostomp went on new board. Ohhhhhh yeeeaaahh, That's how it should be. Also have strobostomp on my acoustic board. I keep a 490 analogue strobe in rack in the studio for maintenance. Intonation, nut height, and the like It's soooo much nicer to play. When you are IN tune. Everything just works better. Once you get used to hearing your guitar that IS in tune. you'll never go back. I know those who tell me. Oh I'll just autotune in post. Really?
    I learned to have guitars set up, intonated, and ready to play before record button is hit.
    PEDALBOARD.jpgIII.jpg
    Guitar on the bench, the 490 strobe on the left.
    goldtop.JPG

18. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Peterson also has an app for the phone, and you can buy a cable from their site to plug the guitar into the phone.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  19. harleytech

harleytech Well-Known Member

Polytune 3

20. Matopotato

Matopotato New Member

I use a TCE Polytune3 (noir) and I am very happy with it. I use the strobe mode as I feel it gets the tuning quite right. In the Polymode I quickly get an idea if I am out of tune, although it sometimes produce some false positives. So the strobe decides.
    For acoustic I was lucky enough to get PitchLab Lite for android, it also has a very good strobe mode. Ran it also with DaTuner against several others and feel that these two apps and the TCE are the ones that agree. DaTuner feels a tad bit touchy but I assume that can be adjusted. Apps do not always understand which string it is on an electric, but no issue in practice.