What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by tallcoolone, Sep 28, 2019.

1. twangsta

twangsta Active Member

Hi. Didn't mean that at all, details matter to me.

Edit: please see my posts in this thread, I'm willing to post and listen to clips for examples etc. Was not kidding about the details, they matter and make all the difference in any particular rig and situation.

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

My setup I usually play (at home, I don't gig) is a Les Paul into a Tube Screamer or Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster straight into the Marshall. I use D'Addario XL110 strings. That's the whole setup to the amp. My preferred cabinets are either a 1960A with Greenbacks (reissues) or a 1960A with 2x G12M25 Greenbacks and 2x G12M65 Creambacks.

I have MANY possible setups but that's my most favored Marshall setup. The amp is one of three Superleads I own, but sometimes I play my 2203, and sometimes my JTM45. But at the moment my favorite Marshall is my restored one made in 1973.

I'm still getting a feel for the 1969 Plexi I just got done restoring. It MIGHT be my new favorite.

twangsta and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. SlapHand

SlapHand Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I like to stack OD´s with my Marshalls. Zero to low gain and high output.

Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
    Boss SD-1
    Timmy
    Keeley D&M Drive (Dual OD)
    Source Audio LA-Lady (Dual OD)
    Jam Pedals Rattler

The LA-Lady has a ton of different OD´s, Fuzzez and Distortions. All switchable
    by MIDI and stackable within the same pedal. I use it mostly for higher gain stuff and fuzz.

At the moment on my big board: Fulldrive, Rattler and LA-Lady.

I use the Clean Channel on my DSL´s for CLEEAAN so the gain staging is
    at OD1, low gain and volume after who is in the house and where they are... lol

The pedals go in to one loop each (the LA-Lady two loops) of my GigRig G2. The G2
    has the ability to switch pedal orders at the push of a few buttons so the possibility
    is almost endless. Crunch - Bite - Distortion - Fuzz - Earthquake - insanity - Armageddon

I don't gig so gear and tone tweaking is my main hobby.

At jam nights with my buddies I grab a smaller board with a few pedals or just one amp
    and use the channels and modes on the amp for different levels of gain. Also do the job!

SlapHand

wntbtw, TXOldRedRocker and Sustainium like this.
  4. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

How do you use the Rattler?

5. SlapHand

I run the Rattler into the Fulldrive for ‘bite’ with gain at 10 o’clock and volume at 1 o’clock. The Fulldrive zero gain and volume all the way up...

6. tallcoolone

In to what amp/channel?

7. SlapHand

I run them into a stereo setup with 2 DSL´s, one 40c and one 40cr... I sometimes run
    the JMP 2204 as the dry amp in a W/D/W setup. Due to the difference in headroom of the JMP vs the DSL´s, I use a stereo volume pedal to balance the amps.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. tallcoolone

Wondering more about the level of gain you are running into. I have a Rattler here, it isn't a quiet pedal, esp running into a TS box like the Fulldrive. You must get all your gain from pedals?

9. SlapHand

OD1, gain just over 1, maybe 1,5... Before I kick in any pedals it cleans up up quite nice when rolling down the volume on the guitar. Not clean clean as on channel one, but at the edge of breakup. So, yes... most of the gain is from the pedals.

The Rattler is a distortion pedal, but with low gain I find it very much like an OD and not noisy. Even when I run it into the Fulldrive. I don't have any Noise Gate on that board. The LA-Lady has built in Gate that I engage for the higher Gains... fuzz and distortion.

SlapHand

10. twangsta

twangsta Active Member

Haha.. true, "ton of gain" is a vague as it gets :)
    But come to think of it, the diff between say Angus and Yngwie might have more to do with EQ than gain, the 308 has a very prominent high pass filter, makes it very very "tite", the storm on the other hand can get to similar gain levels but the feel and bottom is very different.

It can be quite versatile!

Some nice amp choices there! Quite curious about the SD Pickup Booster, it's clever name confuses me, it's it very different from a good clean boost?

11. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

OD in front of a JVM?! Definitely not required.

12. tallcoolone

I would agree with that--I did not use external dirt/boosts with the JVM

giblesp likes this.
  13. tallcoolone

While I've seen Yngwie I am not what you would call a fan and I have never played through a 308. Compared to classic rockers like EVH/Slash/Rush/Metallica/Aerosmith I think Angus' tone is pretty low gain I guess.

Like I said, I've had a couple. I liked the flavor, didn't like the tradeoff in noise. I'll prob grab another one--it is very unique which in and of itself is pretty unique nowadays lol

twangsta likes this.
  14. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Member

Wow, never realized that is how he used a rat......interesting to say the least.....I would never think of using a rat in the loop.......

15. tallcoolone

Same here, I'd love to see a source for this info--trying to think of what amp he used that had a loop??

16. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

At the moment?

This:

upload_2021-4-1_17-51-33.png

Except I don't like it because the cable's too thick and the rubber sheathes are too long coming out of my Les Paul's and Strats and it looks ghey.

17. tallcoolone

Vin’s long rubber sheaths lol

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  18. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

That's probably gilmourish.com
    But the thing is, he never used a distortion in the FX loop per se, he actually has modded Hiwatts with a power amp input, and others that only have the power amp section (no preamp section, and used them with an Alembic preamp (which basically is a bass preamp, and pretty clean), and distortion pedals in front of it (he even used a Boss HM-2 for a while).

And saying YJM uses "a ton of gain" is a total misconception. He uses mid/low output Strat pickups into what's basically a low gain overdrive (nowhere near the amount you get from a RAT or even a TS) into cranked 50w Plexis. Nowhere near EMG 81 into Diezel or Recto or Engl. On his first albums he barely has any distortion, and that's how he has so much clarity. That and perfect technique, of course.

19. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

:applause:

Ok, I guess I asked for that.

20. Kolanti

Kolanti Well-Known Member

Nowadays I play hard rock and heavy metao on my jcm 800 with no pedals at all. I just hit harder . Or I use a strat that I have with a dimarzio super distortion . In general high output pickup with 800 is so damn good you don't need any overdrive

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.