What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by tallcoolone, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Vesperado

Vesperado Active Member

Once I did that, and replaced a few caps with low-esr types, it became the only Delay, effect really, that sits in the FX Loop on my TSL. I use a Gold Pin JJ ECC802 and sounds phenomenal. Mind you I also have Maxon AD-999, bias-adjustable DOD FX96, Guyatone PS-006, Arion SAD-1, and Pigtronix Ecolution Filter Pro II. The TDX tops them all, and the tape-delay sounds are second to none. Unlock its potential by removing that diode-pair and using a low-gain valve and see what it is I'm taking about.

JamminJeff likes this.
  2. twangsta

twangsta Active Member

With my 1959 SL100 clone I'm using a DOD 308 and a Sollodallas Storm V2.
    These two cover Malmsteen to ACDC and anything in between, surprisingly killer SRV too!

3. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Theres three from what I gather. One black screw (cheap) the other 80's silver screw with 14 pin chip ( not cheap ) and another rare as rocking hoarse shit.

Mitchell Pearrow and Iron1 like this.
  4. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

How is the noise on the Storm? I got rid of a V1 cause it added too much for my tastes

5. twangsta

twangsta Active Member

I don't know if its worse or better than the V2, but I do think it should not be an issue for anybody. But yes I do use an NS2 cause I'm no stranger to high gain. Think even Angus has a noise suppressor set conservatively. The thing is both the 308 and the Storm are important ingredients, the value-added is greater than any annoyance from noise etc. I've tried a zillion pedals and not had much luck in getting those very specific characteristics these pedals offer for my needs.

That's the Storm V2. I really love it, it's versatile too.

This is the DOD 308, with either noise should not be an issue.

Same amp and same amp settings too, for both, a YJM strat on the DOD and a lentz HH LP type on the Storm.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. tallcoolone

Cool stuff, thx for the clips! I checked and actually I was sent a V2 after my V1 stopped working and yeah the noise was still too much for me. I’d be shocked if Angus runs a noise gate, but he uses the larger tower version which I imagine is better at handling the noise. Plus he doesn’t use much gain really. Now I want the tower lol.

7. twangsta

twangsta Active Member

You're welcome. Angus does use a noise gate, I've looked into this with great detail, yes the tower makes just as much noise :)
    Angus uses a ton of gain, it's Malcolm that was much cleaner.

8. Karl Brake

Karl Brake Member

Fulltone fulldrive V2. Two chips, two drive levels, two mini toggles with three positions each. It's a more versatile TS. I use it to bump the clean and crunch channels on my JVM satriani. It's natural sounding, not a hisser. I love having two different gain and volume settings available, sometimes just to push a high gain tone into feedback. Or just tighten and add a glassy sustain to a tone.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    tallcoolone likes this.
  9. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

This morning was the first time I actually got a chance to run wild and free with my new (to me) modded TS9 Tube Screamer into my Superleads at as loud a volume as I wished. I used my new Etymotic high fidelity earplugs which do what they are advertised to do: Make everything sound like you're not wearing ear protection, but much quieter.

So I ended up cranking both Superleads up to a volume of around 8, (one at a time) with the TS9 set to no drive but max output, and the tone was all I could ever ask for. Rich, meaty, and screaming. At a comfortable volume level when wearing the plugs, but brutal without them.

The TS9 has a nice overdrive of its own, but the natural sound of the Superleads pushed hard is simply BEST TONE. If I'm in a situation where I can crank up, a clean boost is all I want and need to make these Marshalls sound right.

I found that my restored '73 Superlead has a slightly warmer overall tone than the restored '69. The '69 has more of that percussive "cone rasp" sound thru the Greenbacks, which has to be from the amp and no the speakers, since the '73 SL had much less of that rasp at the same volume level. I suspect that the raspy sound of the '69 is due to two things: For one, it's basically a brand new amp with a lot of NOS components in it that haven't broken in yet, including, of course, all its electrolytic capacitors, and two, it's not in a properly shielded headshell yet. I do believe it's picking up some stray field interactions as a result. Which are appearing as intermodulation distortion products in the output.

I'm SO glad that my house is so well soundproofed that I have basically no fear of any neighor complaining about noise. At least not duriing the daytime.

10. twangsta

twangsta Active Member

Excellent report, can you tell us about the guitars, string gauge and action, playing style and your preferred amp setting's as well, thanks!

11. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Snarkasm detected. (Half being snarky, half being sarcastic.) Don't go there.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  12. Matopotato

Matopotato New Member

Hope to get a Rattler soon :) Have been eying the Mouse (BYOC) as well...

13. tallcoolone

Well, a 'ton of gain' is relative. I'd bet a vast majority of the members on this board would consider Angus' 'classic' tone to be much lower gain then what they play thru on a daily basis.

twangsta and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

BBE Clean Boost Boosta Grande. 1 knob. Gain. Perfect.

tallcoolone likes this.
  15. tallcoolone

On the list to try out! At this point I may as well have them all lol. Just sold the Storm, now I want it again...

twangsta likes this.
  16. tallcoolone

Chase Tone Secret Preamp is pretty awesome. Little on the noisy side, but fantastic. Like the Storm. Long thread, I’ve prob said that b4 lol

17. bullhead

bullhead Well-Known Member

I alternate between a few OD’s (Sabbra Cadabra, Laney Tony Iommi Boost) but the JHS Bonsai gets the most use in my rig. 9 pedals in one box is just fun to experiment with.

18. tallcoolone

You would prob like the Naga Viper as well, cool SAbbath vibe

19. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Boss SE-70
    Boss GT-Pro

20. bullhead

bullhead Well-Known Member

I’ll definitely check that out. I’m always looking for new toys to play with. I appreciate it.

tallcoolone likes this.