Boss SD-1 or Boss SD-1 Waza

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBA

Reaction score
Sorry all you folks, someone probably wrote this already. Mathias, when you push
the high input of an 800 you will get more distortion, but not a lot of, if any, volume increase. Although, if you can live with it, the lower you set pre-volume, the more volume boost you get. An EQ-pedal might help you to boost certain frequencies that put you from rhythm to vocal level in the mix. And there's of course the old method we old guys always mention, put the guitar's vol. control into the equasion. I have an 800 also and it's often a balance/compromise without an efx-loop. But I found it well worth it. And I have to say the standard MFer's phrase : The louder the better!
You got it, with no loop this is the trick with these. Totally agree. Unfortunately the compromise is stacked pedals distortion vs a little less of that awesome JCM amp distortion. Still better than most any other amp for this tone so it’s not so bad.

Jeremy Acker

Reaction score
Personally, I like germanium or silicon treble boosters for added gain and tightening up an already cooking amp. They work particularly well on darker voiced amps and amps that are cooking through some big 12s or 15s. I use Traynor YBA2s through 4x10, 1x12, or 1x15 cabs, and the treble boost takes it to the next level for vintage hard rock or even heavy punk. As always, try before you buy.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Why not just set up 4 Marshall amps, wire them all together, use a selector switch to turn on the amps designated for leads or solos and use the other 2 for your rhythm play.
No volume problems now......
4 Half stacks in a row. Now that is sound.

MARSHALL ALL THE WAY BAY BAY!

blujosh

Reaction score
i agree with the treble booster suggestion. a really flexible and obtainable one that i’ve used with various Marshalls is the Catilinbread Naga Viper. those have always worked better for me than tube screamers or SD-1’s when it comes to Marshall Plexi’s or JCM800’s. for most other amps, i prefer a tube screamer / SD-1.

Beccaio

Reaction score
So curious. I have a Friedman BE-OD in front of a couple different JCM 800s(2203,2204,SC20c) and a 2550. It sounds so good. Any consideration for this BE-OD pedal up front in your situation?

blujosh

Reaction score
So curious. I have a Friedman BE-OD in front of a couple different JCM 800s(2203,2204,SC20c) and a 2550. It sounds so good. Any consideration for this BE-OD pedal up front in your situation?
that reminds me, i did have a recording engineer throw a big box Marshall Guv'nor in front of JCM800 while we were tracking some black metal guitars, so i could see the BE-OD working, since they're both in the "Marshall in a box" family. it doesn't sound like it would makes sense - Marshall-in-a-box into a high gain Marshall amp - but it actually sounded great.

that said, if i were looking to create a "two channel" set up where one channel is just the amp cranked into medium high gain, and wanting a second tighter channel, i think i'd still opt for a Naga Viper.

Eric'45

Reaction score
+1 for the Naga Viper- I have tried lots of Overdrives, from Plastic Behringer Toys to the Boss SD-1, and for me it somehow didn't work out:shrug:
Once I got the Viper the search was over for me.

vojkan

Reaction score
If you like more punk distortion, Proco rat and tubescreamer as booster.
Hot mod it’s a very recomendable option, but see the Euge varlovirta recommendation

I'd vote this combination, you actually set tube screamer such the sound is different when you kick your guitar hard and in a denf mode, such you have a tone control without switching it off, it really gains up JCM and on top you give it some over drive (guess hence the name to sustain gain after the main drive pedal). I'd start with BB clone for peanuts moneys, if you'd like to give it a try and find BOss OD1 if you feel for the vintage punk sound.

Mika555

Reaction score
I have a JCM 800 and now i have some pedals on my radar to push my amp for more distortion. I play fast rythm punk music.
No punk rock or pop or that kind of stuff.

I was thinking that maybe i could even stack 2 pedals for more push into the amp but then it feels like the amp is at max, and i would really like to boost in some way for minor solos or riffs that needs to stand out.
(No i have NO fx-loop and only 1 channel)

These are the pedals i have to chose from:
Digitech DOD FX40-B
Zvex Super Hard On
ProCo Turbo Rat
Boss DS-1
Catalinbread SFT
Ibanez Tubescreamer (Analogman silver mod)

What do you think would be the best setup for a nice rythmsound with ampdistortion and clarity, but if possible also have to option to boost the tone some DB.

one pedal to drive the amp and one for solo boost

This setup will be for live use.

Kind regards!
Boss OD-200
You can do anything with it. The pedal has a boost function.look at the you tube video with rabea

Latest posts