What Music Are You Listening To Right Now ??

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Your's probably sounds 10 times better than the new ones will.
I actually had this 45 single in my collection, it was given to me as a promo copy back in the early 80s. Had the drilled out hole off center. Some one stole it. I had it in a special container same as a few others.

Great song I've always loved it. That Plant crying scream near the end is just awesome.
while it's not the greatest quality (mp3), I digitized this, doing a sort of ½ speed mastering thing. I played the disc & digitized it at 33rpm. I digitized it at 192kHz/32 bit. I then speed/pitch corrected it & downsampled to 44.1kHz/16 bit. Then I did the mp3 thing. I noticed a big degradation in wave, going from the native resolution to CD compliant. The headroom in the bottom end disappears & the bass gets muddy. mp3 kind of boosts the mid-bass & tightens it up a bit, but then wreaks havoc on the treble...

Still maybe worth listening to. Interesting to do the speed mastering thing, actually pretty cool. I might try it on some of my 12" 45rpm discs...

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Samantha Fish "Kill Or Be Kind", Johnny Winter "John Dawson Winter III" and Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow"

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
funny though, how I always thought that, 7" 45's were not as good as sounding as a 12" 33rpm LP...

when I was a kid, anyway...

I have a bunch of Iron Maiden 12" 45rpm singles, of live tracks, that I collected, back, when my brother was hanging around w/ their road manager...

Yeah, I don't think size or rpm matters as much as what year the records were produced.

My wife picked up a few new replacement records last summer and they sound like shite compared to our originals that are 50 or more years old, even with the skips and pops. My brother also got me Judas Priests Sad Wings of Destiny a few months ago and it too sucks.

I looked into it and found out that a lot of (most?) new records are made from digitalized masters or something and won't sound as good as they should.

I won't buy anymore new vinyl unless I do more research and find out what to look for, if there's even anything good produced. I'll stick with the warmth and skips and pops over that crappy new stuff we got.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
tonight I'm spinning an old Japanese pressing of:

1653113961142.png

I'm digitizing it. I don't have a problem w/ digitizing, as long as the resolution & depth are greater than the analogue. CD compliant isn't that...

Speaking of LP's pressed from digital though, it is a good point, if they didn't get the resolution/depth high enough. I downloaded some files that were supposedly from the master tapes, from Atlantic Studios. For some reason that are filtered, or cut, at around 22kHz. There wasn't a good explanation, except, they blamed it on Pro Tools, at one point. I could post the excuses, I have it available...

My digitizations show frequencies being registered up to 100kHz... well above human hearing, but, it captures everything that's important, nice & smooth, especially a nice rich, fat bass, that doesn't get muddy...

When I downsample, is when they get those issues...

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Here's what the guy said about the master digital files:

The “bin master” tapes came from a Studio in NY. The original (bin) analogue master tapes were transferred digitally at 32/192 from a calibrated Ampex ATR-102 at 15 IPS . Or in some cases @96/24. I do not know of the ADC but it was the studio’s own. =quality. The tapes were destined to be thrown into a waste skip as not required any more. The guys who transferred them were sound engineers, one of them was also a record producer.
I was given them on a HDD to archive on the Hub.

Without checking which ones now, I do know, that some are rolled of at 22KHz, [which could make them pre-SACD tapes or pr pre-CD or just filtered at source.. I do not know much more] (now see below). The one thing that stands out is the flat transfer nature of the tracks. They come without a cue file. So are a straight run through of the album. Update - I have spoken to the folks who transferred these and there is a strong feeling that the filtration came about because of the use of pro-tools in capture; the words were “we seem to think that the use of pro-tools added a certain “flavour” to some of these”

A further update is that all of these tapes were certainly masters and all were on quarter inch tape. I asked about Dolby and there was a feeling that some could have been Dolby B encoded - with The Ramones being definitely one of them.

I also asked why the difference in quality of some: “The Zep stuff and Hey Jude were transferred from tape at 192/24. The rest were 96/24 if my memory serves. As was Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans which was actually used with Warner’s permission on the Blu-Ray Audio copies.”

So there we are, anyone doubting the Provenance of these now knows that one has been used since for a high-res commercial product.

but... the frequencies being snuffed at 22kHz makes the high end seem harsh, for some reason.

I also have a digitization from the commercial 7" 4 track stereo (2-tracks played in both directions 1/3 fwd & 2/4 reverse), which plays at 7½ IPS & being 4 track, the tracks are ½ thickness, so ½ speed/thickness equals ¼ of the tape material used, but IMO, the results are much better on the 7" 4 track @ 7½ IPS, than the 10", 2-track @ 15 IPS, because the digitization sounds more smooth & natural... done at 96kHz/24bit

I know this isn't vinyl, but, vinyl comes from the master tape reel source. If they are pressing newer LP's from those master files that I have, I wouldn't be happy, unless they have some way of mastering that undoes the harshness that they did to them.

Also, I see so many of these vinyl "distros" that are re-releasing stuff, that's OOP, or whatever, & some who knows what source files they use.

(edit)
I just finished digitizing the album. each side is approx 2GB in filesize, so, the album is 4GB...

XTRXTR

Reaction score
while it's not the greatest quality (mp3), I digitized this, doing a sort of ½ speed mastering thing. I played the disc & digitized it at 33rpm. I digitized it at 192kHz/32 bit. I then speed/pitch corrected it & downsampled to 44.1kHz/16 bit. Then I did the mp3 thing. I noticed a big degradation in wave, going from the native resolution to CD compliant. The headroom in the bottom end disappears & the bass gets muddy. mp3 kind of boosts the mid-bass & tightens it up a bit, but then wreaks havoc on the treble...

Still maybe worth listening to. Interesting to do the speed mastering thing, actually pretty cool. I might try it on some of my 12" 45rpm discs...
Thanks for the download. I haven't heard that song sound any better, my only other copy was some MP3 download couple decade ago. This is way better...awesome thanks, I missed that clarity:drool:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the download. I haven't heard that song sound any better, my only other copy was some MP3 download couple decade ago. This is way better...awesome thanks, I missed that clarity:drool:
lol, & that's only mp3... you should hear the hi-res... :)...

It would have helped if I had saw the typo before I posted it... :rofl:

mrjones2004x

Reaction score

Try this? Original video release

I’m trying to write down the name but it’s hard to spell give me a minute

trenuletul zdob si zdub

trenuletul is the song name which means train. I assume the rest is the band name

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
The English language is a bastardized form of speak which will be or is adopted by the new world order types.

It is a shitty fourth world evolving language.
You can measure the success of a culture by how many speak it's language.

Unfortunately, our past success looks to be a thing of the past.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I've been having a lot of fun messing w/ recording vinyl to hi-res digital. I've been recording the 45 RPM's at 33 RPM & speed it up to pitch in digital, & it sounds really good. I do all the clean up in the slow speed...

Latest posts