What Monitors , Bang For Buck ?

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Tittle says it all. I have had my eye on Rockville powered monitors.
So many options. I like the idea of 8" but if 5" would sound decent the price is around a benj.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
w/ 5" you'll need a subwoofer...

I have the Yamaha HS5 & soon found out I needed a sub. I got a good deal on the speakers, so, it ended up being $600 for all 3 speakers. I got my speakers from a guy at Capitol records who wanted some 5"s, but wasn't sure what he wanted. So, he ended up flipping them after only a couple hours. I got the pair for $300, so, getting the sub for $300 at GC wasn't a bad deal...

I got the 8" sub & it's very bass heavy. Maybe not as loud as if you get the 8" & 10" sub, but loud enough...

If you get 8"s, you might be able to get away w/o subs...

LyseFar

Reaction score
Got a pair of Yamaha HS7 and a pair of Yorkville YSM1p both active and affordable.
Like both. The Yorkvilles are very old so probably not available anymore.
I use the HS7's without a sub. It is possible but important to follow Yamahas setup guidelines in general and regarding placement in the room to avoid adding too much bass in the mix. For example - do not place them with their backs against the wall.

Last edited:

Derek S

Reaction score
Several years back I did a couple weeks worth of light research for the same thing (small/home studio room, bang for $$ desktop monitors) on all the usual boards (gearslutz, TGP, etc) and ended up going with a pair of JBL LSR305's based on strong worth of mouth, vs comparisons, etc....they've suited me great ever since, love 'em.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Dude a 1400w 4400w peak 12" speaker , I am in a 8' x 12' room not a hall ! It doesn't sound inexpensive either.

You should look at Yorkville, there is many many configurations. They use higher power to stop the distortion from blowing the speakers...(it's for headroom).
Class D 1400 watts is not unusual, nor is it overkill. It's just trying to keep the sound clean.
I would say that Yorkville is building some of the better PA setups out there these days.

JBL has a lot of issues with blowing tweeters / horns, and that's where we starting looking for something better designed.

Ade2064

Reaction score
I was very recently in the same position(like two weeks ago), and i ended up getting Adam t5v's. Was thinking of getting 7 or 8 inch, but unless your room is big enough and properly treated , they will probably cause more trouble than they will fix. Same with subs. I would advise (and i am no expert, this is all based on the research i did) getting 5 inch and a pair of headphones, you can always add a sub later.

LyseFar

Reaction score
You should look at Yorkville, there is many many configurations. They use higher power to stop the distortion from blowing the speakers...(it's for headroom).
Class D 1400 watts is not unusual, nor is it overkill. It's just trying to keep the sound clean.
I would say that Yorkville is building some of the better PA setups out there these days.

JBL has a lot of issues with blowing tweeters / horns, and that's where we starting looking for something better designed.

Think the guy is looking for studio monitors not PA monitors. Or did I misunderstood the question?

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Think the guy is looking for studio monitors not PA monitors. Or did I misunderstood the question?
Yes studio , not PA .
I was very recently in the same position(like two weeks ago), and i ended up getting Adam t5v's. Was thinking of getting 7 or 8 inch, but unless your room is big enough and properly treated , they will probably cause more trouble than they will fix. Same with subs. I would advise (and i am no expert, this is all based on the research i did) getting 5 inch and a pair of headphones, you can always add a sub later.
Good info , I will consider 5". Adam has not been on my list mainly due to price.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I just checked on the T5v . Not a bad price , about $200 USD a piece.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I see a lot of love for the JBLs. They do an 8-inch monitor for $250. Although for $100 more each you can get Yamaha HS8s, which are studio staples.

I also just realized they discontinued the LSR line in favor for a new line. And I was off with the price. They have the 308 MKII's for $219 each on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/JBL-LSR308-Powered-Studio-Monitor/dp/B077NHM2K6?th=1

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
just keep in mind, if recording, there will be times that you'll be plugging in & that being your bass amp (if you record bass) Bass through 5" speakers is not a good idea, as when you try & get decent bass, you'll blow the speakers...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I will say me and someone tried some monitors with their Line 6 Helix one day at guitar center.

You could hear the 5 inchers
but you could *feel* the 8 inchers

HonestTartGreyhounddog-size_restricted.gif

Ade2064

Reaction score
I paid about £300 for the pair, including stands and cables. Also, arguably more important than which monitors you get, is learning them. Youll also need to break them in if buying new.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
just keep in mind, if recording, there will be times that you'll be plugging in & that being your bass amp (if you record bass) Bass through 5" speakers is not a good idea, as when you try & get decent bass, you'll blow the speakers...
I don't have a bass yet but just as you posted I was bidding on some 5" Yamaha's.
I had the bid but someone got them in last 10 seconds.

Neil Skene

Reaction score
I have the Yamaha HS7's and sometimes feel I need a sub, but my room is not treated and as others have said bigger speakers and a sub in a room that is not acoustically good is asking for trouble. I have spots in my room where the bass feels at least double the power and other spots where it is almost cancelled completely. A 100W Marshall can go from wimpy to bone shaking in a couple of steps in my room, it's pretty bad.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Yeah , I need something and really don't have a budget for it right now. Kind of why I am looking a the 5" . I would prefer 8"s with a bit more power just if I ever need it.
The rockvilles are on the list. Not to mention ear fatigue with headphones .

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of Adam T7V not too long ago. They sound great and have some serious testosterone. I think they cost around 5 or 6 hundred for the pair.

Marshall4Metal

Reaction score
I'm not into active speakers I like passive speakers for Guitar and everything else . That's what a power amp is for. PA with a Power Amp to passive speakers.

Latest posts