>

What is/was the cheap pedal that surprised you the most?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by speyfly, Jul 4, 2021.

1. speyfly

speyfly Well-Known Member

Oh man, I appreciate your thoughts but I've tried it all from springs to blocks, just never could bond with that bridge setup. Now the HT Strat is a whole nether animal. Guess I'm just a hardtail guy.

2. BatmansMarshall

BatmansMarshall Well-Known Member

One of the cheapest pedals of all time happens to be able to still compete with the best of them and more importantly, it's a near essential type of pedal to own.

Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ.

Less than fifty squids.

https://reverb.com/p/danelectro-fish-and-chips-eq

speyfly likes this.
  3. Stephen H

Stephen H Member

Bloody Mike Hermans! He makes any box with knobs sound amazing and has been the cause of me wasting a lot on a number of "cheap" pedals, (gotta blame someone, makes me feel better about being a sucker, lol).
    Tried so many cheapo od pedals but the only one that surprised me in a good way, and the only one I kept, is the el cheapo Joyo British Sound. Set with real low gain, like 9 o'clock, tones kicked up to 3 o'clock (makes a LOT of difference and adds cab welly to the single open speaker),- makes my own-build "Deluxe Reverb" sound close enough to a jtm 45, I leave it on most of the time and am pretty happy with it for home use and the band rehearsal room, (at least until I've finished the heads I'm currently working on.)

speyfly and ricksdisconnected like this.
  4. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Damn. I've got a sort of DS-1/SD-1 hybrid in the shape of a GP-8, do I qualify? :lol:

speyfly and fitz288 like this.
  5. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Probably my DOD FX-64 Ice Box; it's a stereo chorus pedal with incredible range that can go from a very smooth sine wave to a very rigid square wave. The FX-64 sounds great whether played through an effects loop or out before an amp's instrument input. One fantastic aspect of this pedal is a great throaty tone when placed before the instrument input; I haven't experience this with other chorus pedals, multi-effects, or rack systems.

After the DOD FX-64 Ice Box stereo chorus pedal, I'd have to say my Boss SD-1, followed by my Boss PQ-4 parametric equalizer, Boss NS-2, and lastly my Ibanez Tone-Lok DE7 delay.

Though I most of these pedals don't get much use, I refuse to sell them. When you got something good, you hang onto it for as long as you can.

ricksdisconnected and speyfly like this.
  6. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Not sure if it counts, but I think my most pleasant surprise would have been my old Digitech RP70. At the time I bought it I wasn't aware that Digitech actually made 'serious' gear and as it was the cheapest modeling unit in the shop (6 tenners or something like that), I didn't have too high hopes. It took me a while to find my way through the amp/cab presets, but the reverb, acoustic simulator and some of the presets really sounded amazing fed straight into a PA/mixer. I haven't used in many years, but its power supply still runs my pedal board (I'm more a rack guy).

speyfly likes this.