>

What is this head?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Garth Rocket, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

Attached Files:

2. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

Sorry about the lame pics, those are the screen shots from the auction.

3. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

Thanks for the offer and the valid observation. Once I get the amp I’ll figure out what to do with it. I bought the amp as a gamble. What nobody has addressed yet is the white paint with factory silk screened lettering “you have to drill down to see it” on an aluminum chassis. Has anyone seen an example of those characteristics on a Major? I can’t find it, so that’s why I’m posting this. As crazy as this sounds, what if is a mid 60’s transitional amp? Like a JTM100 someone turned into a Major. I know that sounds nuts, but in the early days of Marshall I’m thinking there’s variant possibilities. To me it’s the white paint on aluminum. I’ve lost more in Vegas and this is way more fun!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  4. boola1

boola1 Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like Aluminium to me. Looks like painted steel. Which would make sense, being a Major. You can tell it's a Major due to the huge OT and filter cap arrangement.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Derrick111 and Garth Rocket like this.
  5. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

The tech I use to repair most of my amps said he thought it was an aluminum chassis. It made sense to me because I didn’t see any rust and it explain why the paint is falling off, but only time will tell. I’m supposed to get it this Wednesday and then the mysteries will be revealed. In the meantime if anyone knows a great tech in So Cal or Central Cal let me know. No matter what it is, it will need work.

6. boola1

boola1 Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing rust on any steel chasis that I've owned from that era. It does however look exactly like the kind of oxidation I would expect to see on a steel chassis. Aluminium tends to retain more of a shine unless it has seen some pretty horrific conditions.

7. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

I actually think you might be right about that. I figured my tech must know what he’s talking about because the thought of an aluminum chassis didn’t come to mind.

8. alpha al

alpha al Member

It's easy enough to tell if it's an Aluminum chassis. A magnet will stick to a Steel chassis, to an Aluminum chassis, it will not.

9. sunflower

sunflower Member

Additional holes looks for power tube sockets.
    So, this amp fed 6 power tubes at some point ??
    I don't know it possible or not though.

10. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

You are right. The weird thing is, I think it was something else and someone modded it to be a Major? Is there a chance they tried to take a JTM 45 and make it be a JTM 200w?

11. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

It’s definitely steel, but it the white paint is odd. I need to bring it to a knowledgeable tech who can determine what the circuit is at this point.

12. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

I refreshed the pics, so please take a look

13. Ned B

Ned B Well-Known Member

This is a huge chassis so it never could have been a JTM45. The extra 2 sockets don't seem factory to me.

Garth Rocket likes this.
  14. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

If it were certain alloys of stainless steel, a magnet would NOT stick to it. Just FYI.

I'm going to guess that the white paint was put on by whomever first had the BRILLIANT idea :erk: to modify it.

But it's not completely impossible that this might have originally been a factory prototype, modded later.

Even then, I'd bet very long odds that Marshall would have never attempted to build a Major chassis in aluminum. The
    experiences they had with soft aluminum chassis bending under the weight of MUCH lighter JTM45 transformers would
    have certainly put them off that idea as fast as it came up!

Depending on the level of restoration you want to go through, be aware that I'm not the only person who could make the extra holes disappear. If there is a good sheet metal fabricator in your area, they can probably help you once they understand the nature of the chassis restoration.

15. boola1

boola1 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a mystery. Somebody removed the front and rear panels and then painted the front white.

Plenty of knowledgeable people here but I can tell you it's a Major and looks like a bass or PA.

How does it sound?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  16. sunflower

sunflower Member

If this output transformer is original, "1969 marshall major output transformer" sticker is bit strange.
    It looks more like to identify what this transformer is in someone's stock parts box.
    So, I suspect this amp was re-converted to original spec using 69 major OT at dave's sound repair?? from super hot roded mod.

17. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Most importantly does it work? How does it sound?

18. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

I did contact Dave, he’s still there and sent him pics yesterday. I’m hoping it will jog his memory. The two Majors I bought came from a storage locker auction, Dave’s memory of any details would be welcome

StrummerJoe likes this.
  19. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

Unfortunately, it was shipped not only with the tubes in place, but with the chassis not bolted down. Two of the Sovtek KT88 were literally crushed. I need to clean it up, get the chassis bolted down, and gets some tubes. Then I’m taking it to a tech so they can fire it up slowly.

pedecamp likes this.
  20. Ned B

Ned B Well-Known Member

Here's a 11/69 chassis for reference. With the extra 2 sockets, I wonder if they were trying to borrow the idea of a 6 EL34 set up from that version of the Hiwatt.

Attached Files: