>

What is this head?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Garth Rocket, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

787DA466-499E-407F-B0B5-D96F81C814CC.jpeg 0C7A08C3-9557-433B-B40B-6A4730498E8A.jpeg 187C9FB5-50DF-4A6D-9CF1-5EBEB46C1E89.jpeg E84BC967-7988-4796-824D-9A142A9EA620.jpeg Hello! I have been a long time lurker and truly appreciate the knowledge on this forum. I just pulled the trigger on the head in the pics because I’m thinking it might be some version of a early to mid 60’s JTM 45. I haven’t seen anything else like it, so I’m hopeful someone here has and can tell me what it is. I will receive it next week and will provide better pic of its innards.
    Here’s what I think I know:
    The chassis is steel and the white paint is chipping off and I believe it’s original because the silkscreens labels look real.
    The Marshall logo is not original
    There doesn’t seem to be a choke, but it looks like there was one based on the hole patterns. Did someone take a JTM 45 and add a Marshall Major transformer?
    The wiring looks to be of the period.
    So what do you guys think?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Edit: OK, after further research, it does look like a Marshall Major. Never been that familiar with these, all those holes in the chassis look a bit scary. :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Torren61 likes this.
  3. StuC

StuC Active Member

Looks like a Marshall Major that's been messed with.

neikeel and jmp45 like this.
  4. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

4 Sovtek 6550's
    Wouldn't that be a 100w?

5. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Maybe call Dave's Sound Repair?

upload_2021-7-30_18-15-21.png

6. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

To me it’s all about the white paint and knowing it’s definitely vintage. I also bought a 1969 Marshall Major from him, I’m hopeful it’s a real Marshall

Attached Files:

7. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

I agree, except I’ve never seen a Major with factory white paint and I think they had stopped using aluminum chassis by the time the Majors came out

8. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Post this in the vintage category, some sharp cookies post there, they will know what it is or isn't.

9. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

moved w/ a place holder for 1 day...

PelliX and Gunner64 like this.
  10. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

I might as well call Dave’s. It’s been 16 years, but you just never know. The guy I bought it from sold me this and a Major head. He got it from a storage locker he bought that was auctioned off. He also had an old Marshall PA column speaker with 4x10” block lettered speakers. I was tapped out so I didn’t buy it

playloud and fitz288 like this.
  11. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

Thanks!

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  12. william vogel

william vogel Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

That’s a Marshall Major.

13. playloud

playloud Active Member

Wait, this isn't related to this thread, is it??

14. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

Ha! I was just reading that thread. I’m ok letting the speaker get by me. I asked my wife if a couple amps could serve as my 26 anniversary present, she said yeah. It’s looking like I got a couple Marshall Majors for $4,100. I still don’t get why the amp in question is an aluminum chassis Major painted white, unless it one of the first made? Once I get them I will need to find a proper tech to work on them. I’m sure I can find a good vintage Marshall tech in Los Angeles. It’s like waiting for Christmas!

15. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

Attached Files:

16. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

No, 6550 or KT88 is the same thing, still make it a Major and capable of the 200W.

fitz288 likes this.
  17. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

It’s only related as the gear I didn’t buy from the guy who sold me the head we are discussing. I mentioned it in the story, that’s all.

18. Garth Rocket

Garth Rocket Member

Yes, I’m a bit scared about the holes as well. I’ll be about $1,750 into this one when I receive it, I figure I’ve got some room for good tech to make it right. I’ll update this thread once I get it.

19. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

I saw the two amps you bought on ebay. The pair look like, to my non vintage expert eyes, like someone intertwined a Major and a Super P.A. for some reason. Post pics of the other amp please.

20. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I can't authoritatively tell you if that's a real Major that's been heavily butchered, or if someone made a good copy of a Major that was subsequently butchered.

Everything LOOKS to be right for a Major chassis, which was then savagely attacked by someone who had hole punches and no sense of what was appropriate. It looks like all the original holes are there, except those that were lost when larger holes were punched in. The top of chassis tag board was reoriented no doubt due to the loss of one of its original mounting holes.

I can help you to get replacement panels for both front and rear. Metalface or plexi?

Given its butchered state there's no way I'd shell out 1750 for that. Yeah, I get it, Majors are not exactly common. But one that has been modded so much is a "Major" restoration project. One I could take on because I have the resources to strip the chassis bare, weld up all the added holes, grind them flush, make them disappear, and restore the chassis to its unbutchered state. Then a proper restoration can occur.

I'd be very reluctant to part with more than 1000 dollars to get that. I'd spend a lot to restore the chassis alone.

As another option to consider, if you were to strip the chassis down and send it to me, I could return the chassis to you in a pristine state with all the added holes erased, along with a new set of panels for it. If I don't have to do the labor of disassembling and reassembling the amp then the charge for chassis restoration becomes pretty reasonable.

I have enough data from the amparchives site to be able to ensure that it comes back with just the right holes in just the right places.