What is the least expensive home studio Marshall amp ?

SLA

Reaction score
S-gear as amp sim or an marshall studio 20 amp.

SLA

Reaction score
S-gear as amp sim or an marshall studio 20 amp.
I really mean it. I had serveral cheap amps and tried a lot modellerstuff. Low- wat trying to get desent sounds in a home/ studio environment, sounded shit. Had serveral hiwatt orange and marshall amps, mostly pre- 80:s 2203 2204 100 and 50 watters. Settled on an 50w marshall jmp 2204 and S-gear and an torpedo capror x to tame the marshall, yeah it was great!!
But, than i tried and bought an marshall studio vintage 20/5 watt and was blown away :) using an homebuilt volumebox in the effectloop to tame the beast, also got the classic version, great for highgainstuff with pedals. Sometimes you have to stop compromising and get the stuff wich gives wat you want in your heart. Your in the marshall forum so I think you love the iconic marshallsounds, wich are plexi marshalls and 2203/2204. You never get that sound and feeling under your fingers with something else untill now..the studio vintage and classic amps. And for amps in the computer-s-gear is great and always have black-friday sale..
And..make sure you have a set of great studio monitors.. Presonus Eris makes great and affordable active monitors

Roach

Reaction score
So what have you guys found to be the most affordable cheapest (used or not ) decent recordable Marshall amp to record in combination with a for home recordings?

I cant even get to decent amps where I am and need to order, so I was wondering what you guys think is the best budget Marshall worth recording at home.
A decent Marshall is not cheap, but a used one is worth every penny, should it be in good condition. While the new DSL's seem to be made for recording directly from the amp, the old DSL's have a 1/4" direct out which goes to a usb interface and records perfectly to my pc. I don't like the new mini plug on the new models. I can leave the main speaker off while blasting the amp through the interface, so no bedroom noise is being made at all while rocking out with headphones BELIEVE ME, everyone near me is unknowingly grateful for that. Or i can get a mix of a mic and the direct out with a two channel interface like scarlett solo, then compare. One channel will be on a mono track, (with the scarlett solo), so set it up right and left in daw, then you can hear them each.
I would like to try the dsl models with low watts such as the 10 watt that cuts to 5...or 15, 20.... Still not cheap though.

Reaction score
A decent Marshall is not cheap, but a used one is worth every penny, should it be in good condition. While the new DSL's seem to be made for recording directly from the amp, the old DSL's have a 1/4" direct out which goes to a usb interface and records perfectly to my pc. I don't like the new mini plug on the new models. I can leave the main speaker off while blasting the amp through the interface, so no bedroom noise is being made at all while rocking out with headphones BELIEVE ME, everyone near me is unknowingly grateful for that. Or i can get a mix of a mic and the direct out with a two channel interface like scarlett solo, then compare. One channel will be on a mono track, (with the scarlett solo), so set it up right and left in daw, then you can hear them each.
I would like to try the dsl models with low watts such as the 10 watt that cuts to 5...or 15, 20.... Still not cheap though.
I still yet to check out the dsl series, i noticed marshall changing the io in back too now

i do have a 2203 half stack with v30s at the rehearsal room (you can see my avatar) too big, loud, needs ds pedals but sounds monstrous once turned up, i could get a IR attenuator etc etc which piles up $ and more gear but i seemed to of got same results using smaller jvm 1x12 Marshalls with out needing to crank up so much but this was like 2012 and everyone including people here are telling me its the way to and the most versitle Marshall is a older dsl40, you think the older dsl 10/20/40 with Celestian 12” plus a 1/4“ inch out is the way to go? Not cheap at all bit if its small and way better then the mg dfx100 ill def try one.

I found this comparison video on YouTube, you can clearly hear the dsl20H cutting through all those heads with the same cabinet.

Last edited:

Ken Ops

Reaction score
DSL20 on the used market, probably. Will get you close enough to some classic Marshall tones with some patience.

Reaction score

I really mean it. I had serveral cheap amps and tried a lot modellerstuff. Low- wat trying to get desent sounds in a home/ studio environment, sounded shit. Had serveral hiwatt orange and marshall amps, mostly pre- 80:s 2203 2204 100 and 50 watters. Settled on an 50w marshall jmp 2204 and S-gear and an torpedo capror x to tame the marshall, yeah it was great!!
But, than i tried and bought an marshall studio vintage 20/5 watt and was blown away :) using an homebuilt volumebox in the effectloop to tame the beast, also got the classic version, great for highgainstuff with pedals. Sometimes you have to stop compromising and get the stuff wich gives wat you want in your heart. Your in the marshall forum so I think you love the iconic marshallsounds, wich are plexi marshalls and 2203/2204. You never get that sound and feeling under your fingers with something else untill now..the studio vintage and classic amps. And for amps in the computer-s-gear is great and always have black-friday sale..
And..make sure you have a set of great studio monitors.. Presonus Eris makes great and affordable active monitors
Love tha amps you have and i agree with you about sticking with your heart,

Im sure we all know this story., there where so many times i left stores with guitars/amps and returned the next day after scratcing my head to why i did not just spend a little more for the gear that is not only exactly what i want but part of my identity, you see players we grew up listening to keep only a few very good guitars and amps and know whos gear it is when you see it., sometimes we think that les paul or marshall will be there tomorrow only to find out its not the case., good gear is like cloths to me, its part of us.

But im sure someone here will remind me that they need a imac, new car, blah blah..i already lostvmy appetite over the idea i will have a marshall in the house, its not like i wont use it..

the verdict so far is i will be using the focusrite 4i4 at rehearsal with the half stack for another month but it looks like i will try to find a $500+ range combo like studio vintage or a dsl40 with a mic trick to capture the punch.

The only last thing is the speaker, im not into the dsl 70/80 ones, have you guys swaped speakers for celestian v30s or gh12 aniversary models?,

Last edited:

kanders1

Reaction score
I own a DSL 40C (combo) with a 12" Celestion and love it. It has dual channels, but I only use it with the clean channel classic sound. It's basic design is almost exactly like my 1977 Marshall MKII 50 watt and it sounds exactly the same; I use it in a stereo rig setup. It's very flexible and highly recommended.

coldsteal2

Reaction score
Since people are talking direct line recording
No kidding my. New Tech 21 Sansamp VT BASS DI, has Amp and speaker emulation and it not only is great for Bass you can also set it up to sound like Marshall or Ampeg v4 stack. The boosts and overdrive is great. Not my best choise but since people are mentioning cheap Marshall sound for recording it's not bad

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Line6 Helix Native is the best bang for your buck. Neural DSP the Fortin NAMELESS plugin is another 'affordable' solution. Basically, these are very good for a track that is going to go into a mix. However outside of a mix, and hearing it in your own environment, probably a Marshall tube amp is the way to go.

The Friedman BE-OD pedal into the clean channel of a tube amp is also a good solution.

The thing is that when you buy a low-wattage cheaper Marshall amp, you aren't really a million miles away from the next Marshall up the chain and it keeps going like that until it is far away from the cheaper one. I would say save more money to get the better Marshall or the one you want. I have bought cheap and just ended up selling it at a loss so I could buy what I really should have gotten and it would have worked out cheaper and I would have gotten what I should have had earlier.

If I know the Marshal20DSL is the tone I want I would get that. If it's the SC20 tone I want I would get that. I wouldn't just get a Marshall for being a cheap Marshall, unless maybe its the Origin series because they are great pedal takers.

Scumback Speakers

Reaction score
The mighty Marshall MS-2:

And yours truly using it to play along with Blue Highway.

Latest posts