What is punk music?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by GregM, Dec 31, 2020.

1. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

So when I grew up we had Dead Kennedy's, sex pistols, GBH, Exploited, TSOL, Black Flag.
    What I would call American punk ( yes I know exploited is Manchester)
    Then we had Siouxsie and the Banshees, Ian Dury, Madness, Devo ( yes they were yanks) which was British sort of punk.
    Nowadays I keep hearing of punk bands in the 80s, Billy idol, Trans Vision Vamp etc which are in no way shape or form punk.
    Now I hear bands I love ( sorry Aussie Bands) like Violent Soho, Smith Street band and Waax getting labelled punk.
    Great bands but surely not punk, like Green Day, Offspring etc.
    So what is punk?

2. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

This is every 13 year old's favorite internet argument.

MarshallDog, jmp45, Trelwheen and 2 others like this.
  3. fitz288

fitz288 Space-Time Curver Silver Supporting Member

Slightly more definable than "what is rock & roll?".

Trelwheen likes this.
  4. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I always thought it was the shit ass that pulls up to a convenience store, gets out and leaves his stereo blaring while he's inside.

5. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Aussie bands hate getting labled as any genera. Just do your thing & if the punters don't like it you move on.. pigeon holing is a American thing...blah blah blah type bands/ music. There was blues, country, rock'n'roll until the "American" record companies learned how to make money out of their blah, blah ,blah bullshit. So pretty much the rest of the world dont give a fuck. Music wasn't invented in America it was exploited by America...take note of the casualties.

GregM likes this.
  6. LPMarshall hack

Damn, you really hate us dont you?

Trelwheen and Sapient like this.
  7. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Lol was this the lyrics to " chickenshit conformist like your parents"

Trelwheen likes this.
  8. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I always thought it started as an anti corporate backlash against the megabands and labels of the 70's. A stripped down ballsier more primitive form of rock music. A lot of bands could fall into that category.

Mitchell Pearrow, Trelwheen and GregM like this.
  9. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I think a lot of emoisic got there.
    I'm thinking 27 seconds to Mars " the kill" or my chemical romance with dead, fuck I love that song. But.....

10. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Punk is easy ...anti-anything. I think the core of Punk lies in the antisocial and introverted characteristics of its very makeup. Unlike Rock that was anti-authority, be it a parent, school teacher, Mr. Dickhead Adams down the street (because you put one foot on his lawn), or a judge, Punker's I believe really just had an issue with the mirror more than anything else. Who didn't though back then ...them probably just a little more though.

Not that this is a bad thing. I just think they were of the most insecure. I could have been one myself as a kid, but it also took a lot of nerve to style-up like one. You had to be ready for an imminent fight back then.

No dissin' ...just sayin'. Every Punker I met as a kid was actually a very nice person with their guard down.

Also, I remember hangin' out at a White Castle once in a while when we were on a certain side of town. Apparently some old "square" (as it would have been like then) was looking at a group of punkers a bit too much. One was a punker-ette too. They all started to bark and growl like a pack of dogs at him. Now, to me that was some geniune PUNK.

:2c:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  11. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

No, that's cRAP music.

12. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Funny, I don't think there was a day in high school I didn't get punched in the face.
    Most suspended kid. In school yet I never Punched first, if at all

13. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

haha Ive never started a fight in my life, but I might have instigated a few.

14. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

No self respecting Aussie band would ever label/categorize another band ...

Trelwheen likes this.
  15. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Yea ..it was rough back then ...even more than some might realize. Baseball bat fights (I didn't know of anyone actually batting though, thank goodness) - usually "Rockers" vs. "Punkers". The punkers were never looking for trouble either. They just wanted to be left alone, but their image made it hard for some to make that possible.

It's funny, because hair back then (early mid '80s) was not negotiable - we hadn't come to "unnatural" hairstyles yet. I remember "Punker Joe" simply had a shorter cut style with even shorter cut wedges into the sides a bit. It was like :run: at the time.

This is back when you wouldn't even get hired if a guy had an earring. If you were lucky enough to actually get hired it was certainly to be removed for shift.

16. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

he blames US for the few twits at Rolling Stone magazine & MTV...

They are the ones that thought it was hip to create a trend of naming new genres & changing old ones...

I remember when R&B (rhythm & blues) referred to guys like Chuck Berry, not this black adult contemporary nonsense that's called R&B today...

17. Dogs of Doom

&... Alternative was bands like U2 & the Alarm, that echo heavy music, that was harder edged than New Wave, but still not Rock (or as now known Classic Rock), or Metal...

Sapient, Trelwheen and FutureProf88 like this.
  18. LPMarshall hack

Rolling Stone hates America, too

19. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

This is punk

GregM likes this.
  20. Dogs of Doom

everyone that I knew that were real Punk, were addicted to heroin. They lived a degenerate life. They hated social constructs, which left them conflicted, because buying into non-conformity is buying into a social construct, even if it is an anti-social construct. They'd conform to non-conformity.

A lot of them pushed anarchy, but wanted rules of their own.

Punk music, was sort of an offshoot of that mindset. I think they were angry at "establishment". Whatever someone said is "hip", "cool" or "proper". They didn't want anyone telling them what was.

In fact, they were pissed off & intolerant of anyone that told them what societal norms were to be.

They were the original social justice warriors, but, even they had mistaken ideas about a lot of things. Once you become a loud mouth activist, especially using boisterous sounds to make your point, you can easily become an annoyance to those that see the flaw in your thinking.

The OP seems to describe a point, where, the music birthed out of hate of corporatism, was taken over by corporate conglomerate & polished up to have commercial appeal. The corporates turned Punk into a cash cow for those who sold out & they became sharers in the corporatist capital... $$$