What is it about Strats and Les Pauls?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Vinsanitizer, Feb 11, 2021.

1. giblesp

giblesp Well-Known Member

I had no intention to be a strat player. I'd been playing a Gretch for a while, and tried a strat in a store.

A little while after, I had 3 strats.

2. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Pass the brain bleach, help me unsee this nightmare fuel

3. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

wow you really are broken lol.

4. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

What is it about Strats and Les Pauls?

They do that Strat and Les Paul thing very well :) maybe even the best?

5. Marshall50w

Marshall50w Well-Known Member

You can cover all the sonic ground with a Strat & a Les Paul, everything else is just a variation on a theme.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. ThreeChordWonder

ThreeChordWonder Member

"No Buddy Holley, no Beatles " - George Harrison.

jimmyjames likes this.
  7. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

...big deal, who cares?

-me

Sapient likes this.
  8. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

I don't own a les Paul or a strat. Had a strat a few years ago but it was thin sounding and hardly ever stayed in tune even with locking tuners. I also had a les Paul 60's reissue and it was just too heavy and the pick ups were way too hot. I don't like guitars with fat nwcks as my hands are on the small side.
    So I went to Ibanez and have several even a arz with emg's that has a les Paul shape but plays better than any les Paul I have owned or played.
    Right now I am really digging on Schecter guitars and have two and one arriving tomorrow. I have a cr-6, a PT, and a c-1 silver mountain in toxic venom coming tomorrow. Nothing against Gibson or fenders just I feel like they are a bit overrated at least for me.

9. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer . Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Adieu, you shut up.

:ugh:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I was just talking to a young lady yesterday telling her the same thing that it was Saul that helped bring back the Lester. The early to mid to late 80's will always be known for the pointy guitars with stripes and all of those cartoon graphics and for spandex .

11. El Gringo

I will further clarify to add the Telecaster and subtract the Stratocaster . The reason why is the Telecaster thru the Marshall works very easily with minimal fuss to dial in a killer tone . The Stratocaster for me is a pain in my neck to get a decent tone for me . Soon my tech will be installing Lace Sensor pickups ( blue in the neck for a humbucker tone , silver for the middle for classic Fender tone , red for bridge as it's red hot ) I know the Fender purists will scoff , but I can't make it work with regular single coil Stratocaster pickups . I can work with the clean side of the Stratocaster , but if I want to throw some heat on it , the sound is weak and pathetic .

12. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Dunno, a few years ago I would have agreed with you, but I'm more and more convinced that it's mostly user error and that I was totally wrong.
    I mean, none of the following strike me as "weak and pathetic", quite the contrary actually:

All three of those are a Strat into a pedal into a NMV Marshall, and all three of those sound about as godly as it gets. Maybe it's the white Strat ? :idea::drool:

El Gringo likes this.
  13. El Gringo

User error 110% and that is a fact . Here is the reason why . I have my Marshall 2555X's dialed in for my humbucker loaded Les Paul's . The tone is perfect and does not want or need for nothing . Plug and play and rock out , including with my Tele's . Now to get something decent with the Strat , I would have to mess everything up and that is just not happening . Funny you mention the white Stratocaster , as that is the one (white Blonde ash , maple neck ) that will be getting the Lace Sensors . If I didn't love the Les Paul so much , and if i did not use the Les Paul as my primary instrument than I would be playing around trying to get a decent Stratocaster sound . It's just wicked funny to me that the Stratocaster meant so much to me as a kid , whereas now I could give a rats a$% about it . It will be interesting to see how the Lace Sensors work . I did use them in a ash and then alder body Stratocaster back in the early 90's and it worked very well thru Fender amps .

WellBurnTheSky likes this.