What is a proper price for a JCM 800 4104?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Moose Lewis, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Moose Lewis

Moose Lewis Well-Known Member

Going to the source. What do you guys think the '84 50 watt EL34 4104 would bring here in the US? Other than the missing tolex, the amp is re-tubed and in perfect playing condition.

[​IMG]

Thanks! :)

2. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

i think it looks rather cool without the tolex...very classic old school:)
    did you check ebay??

3. bulldozer1984

bulldozer1984 Everybody's Favorite Member VIP Member

I wreckon if u put it on Ebay, and said Slash farted on it, you'd get 10 grand :rock:

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Active Member

My guess would be $650 -$850

5. Moose Lewis

Yeah, that's how I felt about it. Even got a relic'd extension cab made for it. I checked Ebray (hee-haw), but the comparable ones were 'pretty' with the tolex intact - and they had set prices instead of just being up for bid... which is not an indicator of what they'll go for locally (I'm not going to risk shipping this, it must be a local sale in Richmond, VA USA - and why it's not posted here in the classified section).

I put it on CL for $700, so it seems a pretty fair price so far (maybe I should tack on another $50). Any other opinions would be welcome.

Thanks guys! :cheers: Cheers

EDIT: Changed the listed price to $750 OBO, instead of $700 firm.

6. Lespaulnmarshall

Lespaulnmarshall Well-Known Member

Why are you selling it, dude. Are you out of your mind?

7. Moose Lewis

Entirely. :(

I never thought I would let it go... but I'm an old financially challenged player with a small mastering studio (that I also use to track my songs) and bills coming out my ears. I can't afford to hold onto guitars and amps that are not paying their way. While I do have plans to start performing live again to promote my music, it may not happen before next year due to other setbacks.

I discovered that in my small studio, once the JCM 800 is cranked to the levels it needs to be for 'that sound', the sound pressure levels are too high to record - it overpowers my mics. A phenomenon that never occurred to me, since my previous studios and the ones I've worked in were much larger. I worked with power attenuators in the past, and I know I don't personally like 'em. So I had to seek an alternative solution for the crunch tone I want for recording. The Haze 40, now broken in and dialed right provides me with everything but that specific crunch tone for rhythms at acceptable levels... and the Egnater Tweaker is filling the bill nicely for the crunch tones. I also just landed a guitar I've been hunting for a few years. So, the 4104 along with some of my guitars are going on the block to keep the machine rolling along. It makes me a bit sad, but I've got no 'day job' to finance a collection.

I figure by next Spring to be in the market for another JCM 800.

8. tresmarshallz

tresmarshallz Well-Known Member

I think 700 to 750 is a great place to start. Putting obo on the clist add though is going to open you up to tons of people offering you way less than you are looking for though, you should have left it 700 firm IMO...good luck.

9. Moose Lewis

You're right. I scratched the 'OBO'.
    :cheers: Cheers! :)