>

What happened to the Marshall MA100h Amp?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Wolf-3D, Jul 16, 2021.

?

Who here's Boss DD-3 burned out WITH a perfectly logical explanation?

1. Me and I fixed it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I dunno, I just replaced it

50.0%
  3. Dont get me started, the mystery continues,,,,

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wolf-3D

Wolf-3D Member

Ive been doing some extensive studies on the guitar gear ive collected over the years. Most are heart-driven inspiration, like shoes that make you run fast down the shoe store aisle. However this elaborate piece of equipment was gifted to me for Christmas by my father, which carries many layers of awesome in one gift.

Anyways, I've been gathering most of the information from Reverb, Ebay, some marshall forums as such, and was surprised to not find it on one website whose name is literally tagged on everyside of the head, lol.

I cant seem to grasp how popular this amp is/was? Ive always been able to dial in my tone pretty closely between the clean & dirty channel. The tone seems to fatten up as the volume raises, and with the brand new JJ's i replaced with only 3-4 hours + the new reverb tank that was installed, this MA100h's tonality is second to no other MA100watt.

Im curious of the back story as to why marshall doesnt have them mentioned for discontinuing or why sweetwater like many other sites that once carried them only keep them for the specs report. All say "out of stock" variations. anyways if anyone has a clue or heads up? id appreciate ya, im very tired and been working all night on my storage so excuse my writing. thanks again

2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

First question, why do you have poll about a "burned out" BOSS DD-3 imbedded in a post about a Marshall MA 100H? A bit confusing. As for the MA 100H, never owned one, so not sure why they don't seem to get much mention.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  3. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

It wasn't a DSL. The fact that the MA got displaced by the DSL40C and DSL100H in the same market segment is quite telling. It was probably much easier to market a revised version of a proven product. Good or bad the MA was an unproven product that had to over come the stigma or being a lower price point, made in Asia, product. The Asian DSL was a revised version of a known made in England product but at a more affordable price.

Oh, the poll has me scratching my head too.

4. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Question & poll are too odd.
    No one does "extensive studies" of the MA100H.
    I'm betting no 2nd post from OP.

FogDweller and Blokkadeleider like this.
  5. Blokkadeleider

Blokkadeleider Well-Known Member

I give you a like! For the awesome nickname. Everything else makes no sense to me.

Gr,

Gerrit.

Wolf-3D and fitz288 like this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

What happended to it? It was a piece of $h!t that lasted in the market for about 2 seconds :shrug:

fitz288 likes this.
  7. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

I bought an ma50h used for $150...and while it isn't a 2204, if it isn't over gained and is given some volume it can do decent tones on the cheap. I think calling it a total piece of shit is a little harsh. Imo it can sound just as good, or just as shitty as an dsl40c (which I have had as well) depending on the settings.

And yea.. the thread is confusion..makes no sense.

scozz likes this.
  8. Wolf-3D

Wolf-3D Member

That’s a great question @marshallmellowed ; it’s a poll…this is my first post, I’d never been asked this prior, as this is my first post, being new to this Marshall forum site. Rather than reiterating my post, It was the first thing I thought of. If you’ve ever owned a boss dd-3 that’s gone out on you, you’ll find a conspiracy online as to how these thing randomly go out. So this threads theme chosen is “mystery” .

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. Wolf-3D

Wolf-3D Member

Wow, I didn’t know the dsl40c had any relevance to the MA. That would make sense, however I’d have to put the mg series v.s the ma before thinking of the prior, but mg is solid state….must admit I don’t know anything of the dsl40C, I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for the info dude

10. Wolf-3D

Wolf-3D Member

It wasn’t just on the ma100h but all my gear. I never knew much about it, as it was a gift from my dad. I’ve owned the ‘59 SLP as my first amp I purchased before I went on tour, learned a lot about how musicians wrestled such a beast and even learned to build my own variac ala EVH, but now I’m selling my MA100h cuz I just bought the EVH 5150 III 50w 6l6 w/ 2x12” matching ivory cab. Just having a conversation and seeing what people know and remember. You wanna talk about odd, this is the internet, I’m sure there’s alot more out there than this guy

11. Wolf-3D

Wolf-3D Member

I mean, it’s no JCM 800, sure. It’s a beefier MG series amp with some jj’s for intermediates on a budget. It’s loud enough to gig and holds together pretty well with the DFX overdrive booster for leads. How long have you fiddled on it for.

12. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

:welcome:to the forum.
    Your reply is much more interesting than the strange question about a low-end amp & delay pedal poll.
    How about and introduction post to tell everyone about yourself and your gear?
    Introduce Yourself | MarshallForum.com

Mitchell Pearrow and Wolf-3D like this.
  13. Wolf-3D

Wolf-3D Member

Bout time someone says something constructive lol. Didn’t mean to confuse y’all, I guess I wanted to talk on two topics at once, one being if it’s discontinued and why, and two if anyone’s had trouble with that pedal. I’ve had better days, haha. I’m selling my MA100h along with a JCM 800 4x12” lead series slant cab w/G12-75 white labels. Now that I have my evh5150III, I don’t need all that artillery anymore. Especially when you have a toddler.

14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum
    I have no experience with the MA line of amps, and no experience with the DD3.
    But I do have a pair of Dsl40c’s.
    Cheers
    Mitch

El Gringo, Wolf-3D and fitz288 like this.
  15. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

16. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I can't speak for the MA100 but I had an MA50 for a little while.

If there was what I would consider to be a GOOD tone in it, I honesty never found it.

Not saying it was a bad amp...just one that didn't make tones I like.

Wolf-3D likes this.
  17. Wolf-3D

Wolf-3D Member

I messed with the crunch balance, and the presence/resonance knobs a lot. Never maxed the gain or anything. It was pretty solid. The ma100h def had more than the 50watt. But then again I used new jj tubes to give it a warmer punch. I used it as a practice amp & gigged a few times more than anything. My guitar was on point. Just wondered the back story of what transpired with it

18. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

I believe Steve D designed that...

He's pretty good at simplifying things & getting it to function on par w/ a more complex circuit...

I never saw a gut shot of one, it doesn't get more bare bones than that, but, it definitely took some engineering to bring it to that level.

Marshall, around that time, was experimenting w/ doing a cheaper, more bare bones design & offering it as a budget model.

Regardless of how good/bad, many of their designs were met w/ the anti-mob, that denigrated anything they came out w/.

The JMD:1 was another example, which was pretty high tech, but offered at a great low price point.

It at some point, became fashionable to nay-say everything Marshall came out w/, before it ever came out & the negative responses would go on & on, & typically by people who never plugged into one, nor really explored them. They just heard someone shit on it, then joined in on the mob & grabbed the pitchforks & torches to run the new Marshall out of town...

In the same thing, it also became fashionable to cheer on the competition, like Mesa, Friedman, etc...

Not sure why we can't like all of them, but some people make everything a tribal sort of thing.

I have no problem w/ an honest assessment, where, if you tried something & just didn't like it, for whatever reason, but, many people just do unfounded hit jobs on stuff w/o any real world knowledge, or experience...

That sort of mob mentality has killed many a good product from ever reaching it's potential...

El Gringo, nkd, scozz and 4 others like this.
  19. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My friend bought an MA50 and the amp is fine for what it is. You just gotta learn how to set up the gain if using the boost. Very low cost way to get into a tube amp.

20. Wolf-3D

Wolf-3D Member

This is the sound of maturity. This is how adults have conversations, kids. Lol. Very nicely put. I’m selling my and just realized how well it still plays. I’m very meticulous with my gear, sometimes haha. I’m really enjoying my EVH 5150 III 50w atm. I believe I’ve reached my enlightenment on amps from a youngster but now it’s about capturing those long lost tones, ala “A band of gypsies” and such. Messing with more pedals. I might go back for my ‘59SLP I sold, perhaps this time I’ll opt for the ‘59 super lead plexi ‘hand wired’ or the jcm800/DSL100 . Those tones were something else