What Does Death Metal Mean To You?

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me: the audio equivalent of a bowl of cold chili topped with 30lb of ghost peppers, glass shards and a bottle of Drano - played by 14-,year-old musos with self esteem issues brought about by being raised in a house with either no dad and a raging psycho mother, or a pack of wild dogs.

It also has a bad side.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I always considered death metal as kind of the musical equivalent of a horror movie. I'm not into the music at all (though, i do love horror movies), but I think some of the costumes / stage shows / artwork / etc can be pretty interesting at times. In short, I think being a creative director for a death metal band would be a fun gig, but I can't count myself as a true fan.

The dude in the story? No clue. I'm familiar w/Cannibal Corpse, but not enough to have any idea who that guy is.

axe4me

Reaction score
1.Cookie Monster vocals.

2.Detuned guitars with heavy gauge strings.

3.Quick double bass drums eq'd with tons of treble.

4.Fast guitar solos that resemble a major key scale that many times are just a blur of no sense notes ( hey, look at me, I'm playing fast).

5.Boss Heavy Metal Pedal or guitars that sound like a circular saw cutting a metal pipe.

6.One finger guitar chords strummed very fast and sometimes syncopated.

7.Dark apocalyptic satanic themes in dark setting.

8. Bad black tattoos.

9.Hunched over angry looking guitar and bass players.

10.Videos set at night with a lot of fires burning.......sometimes a tribal vibe.
Makes "Chuckie" seem like a John Hausmann documentary and Jennifer Tilly a Shakespearean Oscar nominee.

Last edited:

pedecamp

Reaction score
1.Cookie Monster vocals.

4.Fast guitar solos that resemble a major key scale that many times are just a blur of no sense notes ( hey, look at me, I'm playing fast).

5.Boss Heavy Metal Pedal or guitars that sound like a circular saw cutting a metal pipe.

8. Bad black tattoos.

10.Videos set at night with a lot of fires burning.......sometimes a tribal vibe.
Makes "Chuckie" seem like a John Hausmann documentary and Jennifer Tilly a Shakespearean Oscar nominee.

Exactly what I was thinking. Do I listen to it? No.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Singers that only a death metal fan can recognize, tones a bassist may enjoy, hard to define guitar parts, not knocking the genre, but not my cup of tea/ coffee/ beverage of choice !! Cheers Mitch

Rudy v

Reaction score
This is probable likely the first i hearing in 1984

Attachments

• 15453203621197290677211783211005.jpg
    15453203621197290677211783211005.jpg
    774.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
1.Cookie Monster vocals.

8. Bad black tattoos.

]

That's exactly what I was gonna say !! :bowdown:
BP

EndGame00

Reaction score
I grew out of it... I used to listen to the early days of Gothenburg, Stockholm and FL death metal scene...

mickeydg5

Reaction score
I always considered death metal as kind of the musical equivalent of a horror movie. I'm not into the music at all (though, i do love horror movies), but I think some of the costumes / stage shows / artwork / etc can be pretty interesting at times. In short, I think being a creative director for a death metal band would be a fun gig, but I can't count myself as a true fan.

The dude in the story? No clue. I'm familiar w/Cannibal Corpse, but not enough to have any idea who that guy is.
I do not watch horror films either. :erk: :ugh: :ohno: :D

anitoli

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thing is when this stuff was really coming out back in the 80's i listened to just about anything and i always found that i was trying to like it. If you have to try to like anything that should pretty much tell you where you are at with it.

Antmax

Reaction score
To me it's excessive drums and gutteral voices, typically not what I would call musical. Admittedly I do not listen to enough to have a fully rounded opinion. Love the old NWOBHM and still listen to those old bands including any new material but don't really care for the thrash and spinoffs or OTT hair stuff that evolved soon after.

Latest posts