What do you think of these modeled Marshall tones?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by jchrisf, Jun 2, 2020.

1. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

2. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Great for recording.
    Otherwise overly compressed and opaque.

neikeel likes this.
  3. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Take a look at the thread ( Why do these Plexi's sound different ) Put on some good Phones and crank it. That is what a Marshall sounds like. There is a reason that for the last 60 years or so other companies, both with pedals and amp clones, now modelers, try and compare their tone to Marshall. Even Marshall itself has gotten on the lesser expensive clone type amps. In the 80's they followed suit with the solid state craze. As time went on and companies were building clones for less money. Marshall knew they could outsource to Vietnam. Bring it in at a cheaper price. Lesser quality and sound, but they could get some of that money from people who couldn't afford the real deal. I get it, I don't knock it, I've been in that loop. I gigged for 25 years before I could buy my first Marshall. An MG100 and it was a piece of junk. Next was the JTM 45, then JCM 800 JMP 2204. So what do I think of these modeled tones, not much.

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Sounds ok in a processed and compressed way. Perfect for recording but misses out on something visceral.
    I listened all the way through too, just to see if a real plexi and celestion through a mic had not been squeezed in to fool us!

5. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Here’s the Marshall packs I use on my Kemper:

And this one isn’t Marshall, but a Friedman

Between those 3 packs I have every sound I want, without tweaking any knobs. I just add effects as needed/wanted.

dptone5 and LPMarshall hack like this.
  6. jchrisf

Those sound good... do they sound like that on your rig?

7. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Yup. And the thing is, it feels like an amp. All the dynamics, breath, feedback, all that.

I was 30 years of hardcore “tubes or GTFO” before, if you’d told me 5 years ago I’d play this I’d laugh in your face.

8. pulsonicsound

pulsonicsound Well-Known Member

A lot of these companies need to add a little noisefloor, that always throws me!!

Plus lot of the time you miss the sound of an actual space, if you were to record a profile/amp sim through a ‘flat’ speaker in a decent sounding room, it would sound great! I personally don’t enjoy playing through a simulator/kemper etc as the response never feels right(ie how the harmonics change and the volume/grit changes with your playing style/attack!

having said all of that the tones above are pretty decent, I’m not sure I’d be able to tell the difference in a track!

Rusty Strings and jchrisf like this.
  9. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Giving it a quick listen, it sounds good here for a modeler.

I always find that after the short honeymoon with any modeler I want a real amp in it's place though.

jchrisf likes this.
  10. jchrisf

I had a Kemper and didn't like it. I just couldn't bond with it but I didn't have it long because of the 45 day period for return from MF. I think before I dropped $1600 for a Kemper I'd just get Nik at Ceriatone to build me a 2204 clone since I really only need one amp for everything I like.

I do think the tones on both videos sound great and the closest I've ever heard to a real Marshall on a modeler. I'm just a bedroom player now and the only real Marshall I've had in the bedroom was the DSL20 head. It sounded just like my modeler in the bedroom so I sent it back.

Kinkless Tetrode likes this.
  11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

The "Marshall" amps in my Helix LT sound really good, if you use the right cab. I think the modelers have done their job pretty well, but it's up to you to make it just right. The guys that really know their shit and have good gear seem to have no problem running them, especially in studios.

12. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

You play a 2204 in your bedroom?

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  13. tallcoolone

These devices really should be run through full range monitors to get the most out of them. Well, the Helix anyway, I have no experience with the Kemper

14. What?

What? Well-Known Member

I have a recording setup here with some monitors that are capable of putting out more volume than I care to listen to for very long. I gave the Helix software a trial and was impressed at first. After a couple of days though the sound was grating on my ears and I couldn't get what I wanted out of it. I kept tinkering with it and trying suggestions for the rest of the trial period. I went back to using an attenuated amp and was much happier with the sound.

And on the hardware Helix, no way in hell I would put that kind of money into a digital modeler, even if I was content with the sound. It's still not an amp that does the things an amp does, i.e, sound of an amp through a cab in a room with singing sustain and rich harmonics. I could see one of these boxes being useful to someone who needs to quickly record a variety of close-enough sounds, such as someone involved in doing background music for tv shows, or maybe a low volume through the pa coffee shop gigger sort of thing. But it's not a rocking amp in a room that a guitar player needs for playing live or recording.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  15. jchrisf

I've never owned one.. but people here say they do play them at low volumes at home. What do you play in your home?

16. tallcoolone

Helix 90% of the time run through the powercab and Rokitt 8 studio monitors. In addition to the amps in my sig I have the Waze TAE which does as good a job as any attenuator I have had which is most of them.

A 2204 is not a good choice for a bedroom amp IME. I've owned several.

jchrisf likes this.
  17. tallcoolone

18. What?

What? Well-Known Member

Sounds pretty tame to me. To each their own.

19. tallcoolone

LOL--any examples of your current tone?

jimmyjames likes this.
  20. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Agreed. I've owned several flavors of Marshall's over the decades and yes, some are better suited for "house friendly" volumes than others...but the 2203/2204 line is not really one of them. Also, i rather like the tone in your Dazed clip, has a round, woody vibe in the mids...what speaker you using there?