What do you think of a marshall Mk II 2204?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by MarcOfWar, Aug 2, 2020 at 1:27 PM.

1. MarcOfWar

MarcOfWar Member

I could get that marshall from 1989, and a 1970 cab loaded with g12M-T1221, but have no idea what people with experience have to say about it. If anything, im going to use it for hard rock, blues, some metal i guess, and yeah you know, all the stuff you play when you have just one amp.

2. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Any 2204 can be a great amp, especially through that cab.

MarcOfWar likes this.
  3. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

If you're use to/comfortable with a very straight-forward, no "frills", single channel amp, then it could be right for you.

The mkii 2204 has no built-in effects loop, no built-in reverb, and no footswitch because there are no footswitchable options (not sure if that matters to you) unless some of these features were installed as a modification. Speaking of modifications, the mkii 2204 should be easy enough to modify to tailor it more to your needs if the current status isn't quite right for you.

For what you are going play, the amp should be a good fit. If you're looking for more overdrive drive/distortion/dirt than what it offers in stock form, you'll be disappointed. Pedals might work well depending on what you are looking to get out of the amp. But to be clear, a distortion pedal infront of the mkii 2204 does not a high gain amp make.

Speaking of my own interests, the cab would be more attractive than the amp. The speakers in particular can have a very unique voice that lends additional tone options to the amps I already own.

Good luck on your decision.

4. dro

dro Well-Known Member

No problem with FX going in the front end. Mine don't like an overdrive. But I bought it for It's overdrive. For some lead work I'll run a chorus and Echo in the front. Sounds great. For allot of years every effect we had went in the front. Every amp I've had with an effects loop at some point has had a problem with the loop itself. Give me a single channel tube amp with a Les Paul and a good pedal board. I'm a happy guy.

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I think its a great idea to get it! :yesway:

6. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

One of the best heads in existence. Can't go wrong

7. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

Price is everything. I saw a 1983 2204 1x12 combo that looked really clean for $1,300 the other day. If it wasn't way up near the Canadian border it may have tempted me.