What do you guys think of the Peavey 6505 series amps?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by SPC91, Apr 17, 2020.

1. axeslinger13

axeslinger13 New Member

Well, I am not into the whole Norwegian Death Metal thing, but if I WAS gonna get that amp, I would rather go with the EL34 version Peavey 6534. Good tone/right price. Surface mount technology though... Good luck and have fun!

2. Casinge

Casinge New Member

Peavey is the beast. They make really good amps and 6505 is amazing.

6550 likes this.
  3. dinkyguitar

dinkyguitar Active Member

Bought my 6505 112 combo from GC a few years ago and changed my tubes to what is guy used.

Only difference is I have Ruby 6l6 tubes because when I bought the amp one of the power tubes had issues.

I also swapped the stock speaker for a UK v30 which is popular mod.

I also have a Peavey 5150 head & EVH 5150 III 100 watt head with (2) 2x12 cabs and Eminance Lendend v128 speakers.

The 6505 112 holds it's own, surprisingly is has a lot of bottom end from having 1 speaker and sounds really good at low volumes.

I can play this amp at 2-3 volume whereas the other heads are very loud past 1.

Haven't had any issues...but when I had it checked out by a local guitar store they said all the Presence & Resonance knobs didn't work...I pretty much set and forgot these so I never really played with them.

When I got it home I did notice they were not responsive...they work, but you can only hear the difference when turning the knobs from like 7-10...

I'd be curious if yours did that as well...

Anyway, it's a great amp.....

dinky

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  4. dinkyguitar

dinkyguitar Active Member

One last thing...

The amp is not just a chug chug amp...no offense, but every time I hear someone demonstrate like that I immediately go to something else.

No doubt this amp has gain.

It can do Van Halen, lots of 80's hair band rock, I think it can pull off AC/DC & Zepplin stuff.

And the clean...well it's not crystal, but I don't need anything cleaner.

dinky

Lance Chambers and Jethro Rocker like this.
  5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Yup Presence has to be up there to do anythjng. But it does help the tome IMO above like 7.

6. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

You use the presence above 7? I try to keep it around 4 or so... It could be different tubes honestly. I have JJ power tubes and 2 JJ preamp tubes, the rest are tung sol, so I’m constantly fighting the JJ being dark/muddy. I use an Mxr 10 band in the loop.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  7. Zensee

Zensee Member

Well I AM into Norwegian death metal and you my good sir are correct! LOl. :headbanger:
    The 6505 really has its own vibe and the 6534 is a bit closer to a Marshall sound. Fantastic amps and my 6505 plus head will never leave the stable. Currently blending it with a 900 six on my current recording project. $350 is a fair price. Enjoy.

Lance Chambers likes this.
  8. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I found that extra compression killed some of the clank I like when you snap on the higher strings. The high presence brought it alive. I would have to check the pretubes, not sure what I have in there. I'm tryjng to get a high gain Marshall kerrang out of it. Couldnt get the snap I like at lower settings, it kind of mushed up a bit. A little too compressed for me.

9. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

That’s the problem when you love the Marshall sound is that you try to make everything sound like a Marshall.

Crikey likes this.
  10. Riffraff

Riffraff Well-Known Member

Guilty as charged. :lol:

I love my 6505+. It's a fantastic '80s/'90s rock amp. I've got a few early 90's Chinese 5751's that actually test as high gain 12AX7's in a few key slots and it sounds amazing. I'm not a djent, gallop, brootz kind of guy. I like mine dialed in for a more British high gain tone which it excels at. I'm running 2 x V30's & 2 x ET65's in my 412MS cab.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  11. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

sweet. looks like you are running all three at same time? would love to hear that shit .

Lance Chambers likes this.