What do you consider “mint” condition?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by FogDweller, Feb 27, 2021.

1. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

That pussy's shaved and smellz like cotton candy. Mint.

Tolex with some stinky mileage? Get a Fucking life. Don't matter how the amp sounds when yer playing acoustic.

MINT! And for the AARP "mintage".

scozz and ricksdisconnected like this.
  2. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Well-Known Member

Good luck with that!

tce63 and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  3. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Ok...Johnny thunder’s jizz!!!

tce63 and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  4. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Can LPMarshall have extra jizzorini? For Johnny thunder kufu grip machine gun duck you dumb fux bobbleheads.

scozz and LPMarshall hack like this.
  5. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Again, "fair" at best, and it doesn't matter if it was built in 1935. One thing I always do when I buy a new amp is get the cover for it as well. They go a long way in helping preserve the looks of the amp. Even just towels work great, as long as you mark one corner so you always put them back on the same way. (Dirty side out.)

Definition of mint condition

: perfect condition : a state of being like new
    He kept the car in mint condition.

Kelia, very sweet example of a DR504. What does it sound like compared to a stock 2204? Ceriatone makes a few of these that look very nice but I don't have enough experience to know what I'm looking at or which one I would like. They are pretty rare in RI.

Kelia and FogDweller like this.
  6. FogDweller

FogDweller Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have black towels over all my amp heads and 4x12 cab. Not great curb appeal, but they prevent dust.

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

They work good don’t they. I have one on each guitar and long ones over the amps. I even use hand towels for pedals. Color coded of course. Every few months I throw them in the washer, I know what is out because I always put the tag to the top and inside. Dust can be such a pain in the ass.

FogDweller likes this.
  8. EL 34

EL 34 Well-Known Member

I'd forgive a small tolex rip or scratch to pass as mint. Nothing more. No mods either. Speaking of mods....

9. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

Excellent question and excellent topic.

I agree with this as a very good general standard. I do, however, go a little bit further.

IMO, mint = absolutely no modifications for the entire history of the amp; absolutely no stickers, writing/marks from things like pens; no damage ever to any aspect/part of the amp; all original components minus few reasonable changes for a very old amp such as filter caps, tubes, fuses, etc. *though any seller who retains any of the original components gets a high mark in my book because these original components (working or not)-and even a receipt-help establish the history of an amp and prove to me that I am dealing with the original owner who I can probably credit as being an honest person; all original hardware in excellent (this includes, but not limited to handles, covering, knobs, switches, back panel, etc.

Then, and only then will I believe a seller to be justified in demanding a premium for such high quality (assuming we are talking about a somewhat rare and sought amp model and not something like an MG).

But that's just me.

FogDweller likes this.
  10. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

If you listen to Loverboy , you'll hear how it sounds , never had a chance to put it up against a 2204.

11. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I'll go back and listen, did they use them their the whole time they played?

12. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

I'll try to find some time to listen to Bob Rock's Tone-Talk again and spot
    where about they talked about this . I wish I was a tech and explain what was done and I guess it's stupid simple
    so here it his for the techs here to take some notes and maybe explain what was done
    compared to a 2204 , probably the same thing ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

I agree. For the age, this amp might not be "mint" but if something is 100 years old mint has a different meaning. As others have said unmodified with original parts but the parts should show their age to be mint.

scozz and Sapient like this.
  14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That is really cool, very simple. What is the blue coating on everything? Looks like an anti corrosion coating or something so they can see if it has been monkeyed with. Now I want to try one.

Kelia likes this.
  15. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Don't know about the blue stuff , they sure don't make them like they used to ! :shrug: But I have to give multiple thumbs up to @coolidge56 for his beautiful builds ! :cheers:

coolidge56 likes this.
  16. easy

easy Member

Age doesn't come into it. Something is either mint, or it's not. I used to collect comics, and mint is rare, even straight off the rack, brand new.
    Mint should be reasonably objective regardless of age, otherwise you'd find yourself upgrading things which don't conform just based on scarcity. What happens, then, if a single genuinely mint example surfaces? Is it pristine mint, arctic mint, kelvin mint?
    Same goes for inappropriate "rare" descriptions.

17. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I looked at Ceriatone’s and it’s very similar to that one. It gave me an idea for my 2 ch amp I want to build, that board for the clean side and the Chupacabra for the drive side. Built in one of those boxes there’s plenty of room too. I’ve gotta do some research and talk to Nik. Thank you!

Kelia likes this.
  18. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Exactly. Where are the people that think fair is mint when I’m selling something, dam.

19. Rumy73

Rumy73 New Member

Reverb has a clear set of standards for describing an item's condition. Reporting mischaracterizations to Reverb help keeps the community honest.

tce63 likes this.
  20. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Mint to me equals over priced!!!!

No not really but it often means if you want this next to new item for its age (meaning perfect or dam close) "item" it is going to cost you a pretty penny and I guess it should especially if it 20 plus years old and looks like it just came off the production line.

ricksdisconnected and tce63 like this.