What do you consider “mint” condition?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by FogDweller, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

I'll see your WOW and raise you one "GREAT BALLS O' FIRE"

2. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Agreed "mint" should represent "like brand spanking new" but see the term used for "Good" to "Great" condition.

I never bother with what a seller says, they are usually sales pitches to catch your attention. I just decide for myself what the condition truly is and if the price accurately reflects it's current condition.

Once have I ever bought something advertised "Mint" and it was truly mint. My DSL1Cr was pre owned for a few days prior to my purchase, amp was litterly still "brand new" with the lovely "new" smell and all.

3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

mint is fresh out of the box new looking and operating.

jhs5150, El Gringo, Trelwheen and 3 others like this.
  4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

That is far from mint, it would only rate as fair in my book. And even if it was a NOS unopened box I wouldn’t pay $3800 for it.
    Kelia’s Hiwatt is mint, that is a real beauty to say the least.

5. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Mint = Factory Showroom quality. Like just before it was boxed at the factory for shipment...

LN = like new - usually sellers have box, & all things included when it's opened up, for the 1st time.

That amp is in EX condition. It's got some dirt/grime & the corner of the top vent is cracked. A light is not working & pen marks. (who knows if you can remove the marks w/o leaving evidence?) & the handle is weathered...

For it's age, you could say it's vintage/stock, but not mint, nor minty...

6. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

freakin sick isnt it.

El Gringo, Kelia and FogDweller like this.
  7. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Even if it was mint, even if angus and Jimi jizzed all over it...still not worth $3k

8. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

"Mint" for me means, in the same cosmetic and functional condition as it was on the day it left the factory. Or, it can be cleaned to that state without a lot of effort. I would not let a small layer of dust keep me from saying an amp is in mint condition.

FogDweller likes this.
  9. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Condition: very good but DIRTY

Can probably be restored to "mint" for a few bucks and a couple hours of effort

10. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

I’m thinking jizz would drop the value, not increase it.

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

12. FogDweller

FogDweller Well-Known Member

I didn’t notice the cracks on the vent. The handle on my 2203 looks exactly like that. Tarnishing, too.

I’d say cosmetically this thing is in very good, not even excellent, condition.

Trelwheen and tce63 like this.
  13. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

To me @FogDweller ”mint” means virtually new in every aspect.

What a effing sweet amp @Kelia, that is effing incredible, phenomenal is what it is!!

DR504 correct?

Back in those days both the DR 504 and the DR103 Hiwatt heads came in either a 2-holer or 4-holer version,...if I’m not mistaken! :hmm:

14. easy

easy Member

Mint is perfect, brand new. Virtually impossible to come across in a used item.
    However, I think it's acceptable, when there are a few small, specific flaws or problems which are well- identified to list something as near mint/like new etc "other than the specific issues disclosed".

FogDweller likes this.
  15. ShatteredVitreous

ShatteredVitreous Well-Known Member

About 6 months ago I nearly bought an "immaculate condition" amp. After a lot of back and forth about payment, collect etc, it was then mentioned that the power socket sometimes didn't work. The guy couldn't understand why I didn't want to pay a premium cost for an amp that worked "most of the time".

I asked if he would buy a car that sometimes started and sometimes didn't but was in immaculate condition inside and out.

I then made an offer that reflected the "most of the time" element and the risk of further issues. I got told to "[email protected] off".....amazing.

I could have just fixed the amp by putting a new socket on but it always leaves a bad taste that type of transaction, what are you not telling me, and if it's in "Immaculate Condition" I don't expect to open it up and have to work on it.

The one I hate is "excellent condition for age" and then you see a smashed up 28 year old amp. There is no benchmark for "excellent for age", it's still poor condition regardless of age.

Mike

FogDweller and ricksdisconnected like this.
  16. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

It's gotta be delivered and receive in an oversized York peppermint patty wrapper!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

El Gringo and FogDweller like this.
  17. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

In my opinion I think it's a matter of the item's age. I see where the seller is coming from because I have sold very old things as mint when if they were only a year old there would be a difference. You have to give exception to what time does. Some corrosion, yellowing, cracking, chipping, age of components, or even bumps and scratches can still yield a mint condition. It becomes a "discretionary" mint or an "understood" mint, or a "Consider its age you F'r" mint I suppose. The HIWATT listed above is not mint at all ...however, considering it's age it's as mint as can be. If the topic Marshall is real it's very mint to me.

I guess you just ask yourself, "Would time more or less be responsible for this ...flaw?".

:2c:

18. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

For me, Mint means new in box and only removed for inspection and testing usability. If it's been used beyond those narrow parameters, Near Mint is the best it can get, but even that is rare. Generally a used item would not exceed Excellent in terms of condition.

FogDweller likes this.
  19. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

Mint means no signs of use. Period. As new.

In my opinion that amp should be described as "only minimally abused".

Pen marks, a cracked vent, the "baconed" handle. Super tarnished chassis..how in the hell is that amp even in the "mint" discussion?

Nice original G.E. 6550s is a plus.

I guess Some people haven't a clue when describing condition. Like tube sellers. NOS means new old stock, by definition meaning new, never used, but old. 95% of these ebay jerkoffs selling NOS tubes are just selling old tubes they claim "test as nos". Misleading and bullshit. There is no test for new old stock, it either is, or it isn't.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    El Gringo, FogDweller and Kelia like this.
  20. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Yes DR504 , this particular one had the same mod that Loverboy's guitar player had on all of the albums he made,
    apparently it was sent from UK to Canada and the mod was done on arrival to compete with 2204's , Dave Friedman
    had a discussion with Bob Rock on Tone-Talk about this particular amp he used and Dave didn't know what was done so I sent him pictures.
    I can post some here if interested.