What Did You Do To Me?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by iron broadsword, May 11, 2016.

1. iron broadsword

iron broadsword Well-Known Member

Not that many years ago, I was a happy guy. I lived in a cute little world where my AVT150h and matching avt cab was not bad. I knew there was something missing from the sound but I couldn't put my finger on it. So I went looking for an answer, found this site, and now here I am spinning down the gear vortex.

I shouldn't, but I'm now jonesing for a 1959slp. I should be perfectly happy with what I have, but my modified 900 is doing something a little different and I just want the slp too, haha. I guess it has a lot to do with that it was the amp my dad owned and sold to provide for mom and I at the time.. but also, that TONE, haha. I just spent a few hours researching proper clones.. I mean, I get pretty close with my class5 (caldwell mods) and closer with the 900. I grin like an idiot whenever I light either of them up. But apparently that's not enough, which means that the slp won't be either and in a few years I'll be trying to figure out what other cool amps there are to own.

In summary: I need more space for the amp museum I'm building.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  2. Sailindawg

Sailindawg Active Member

Sounds like you to go an AA meeting, Amplifiers Anonymous. :cheers:

3. 12barjunkie

12barjunkie Well-Known Member

Same here. I was content with what I had and didn't even know I needed something "better" until I joined the forum, lol! Now, several years and many amps and guitars later, I'm still content with what I have, but I'm thankful for the knowledge and experience I've gained by being part of this forum.

iron broadsword likes this.
  4. The Ozzk

The Ozzk Well-Known Member

:thumb:

Gianni likes this.
  5. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

This is a common side effect of this place. Happened to me too. I came here using modeling and I was just FINE. However, I've now gone through a stores worth of amps and am on a never ending tone chase. It's funny how that works. I think I'm pretty content right now amp wise but of course I just added another guitar today.. I think one day I'll fulfill the dream of the 1959 full stack next to the 2203 full stack with a recto full stack for good measure but for now I'm doing alright.

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I don't even remember how I got here, I had a Marshall solid state MG100fdx half stack and was very happy with it. At some point I got interested in tube amps and probably landed at this site doing Google searches on Marshalls. My first post here was to ask questions about a JCM900 combo I was considering.

iron broadsword likes this.
  7. iron broadsword

Well, I just finished playing into two class 5's cranked up with a triple flashback delay in stereo and a big muff, so that should hold me another day. Pretty sure my neighbours owe me for a concert.

8. iron broadsword

9. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

10. Gunner64

Gunner64 Emotional Support Animal Gold Supporting Member

I was just lucky. My first amp in about 1980 was a National val verb , shortly after a musicman 112 65..then a Marshall 2204 w 6550s..that was 1982 and ive had Marshalls ever since. Ive tried boogies and hiwatts and fender hot rods but always have 2 or 3 or more Marshalls..just something about them. I currently have 7.. I need amplifiers anonymous ..no doubt about it.

11. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

I wound up here while considering my options for building a rig around a JMP-1/9100 that I have, somehow came into the possession of a JMD-100, and then about a year ago a clip that Australian posted sent me over to the Kemper dark side. But I like the people, the atmosphere is comfortable, and I'm staying.

12. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

I saw this and thought of you,...a few years from now: :D

www.marshallforum.com/index.php?threads/hi.90025/#post-1501527

13. iron broadsword

Yep, and not even a strat in sight. That really could be me in a few years. :rofl:

I've got more pedals than I can count, 3 great guitars, a 900, dual recto, 2 class5's, buncha recording gear.. I'm running out of space in my living room.

Gianni likes this.
  14. Trapland

Trapland Running Into Walls Silver Supporting Member

You don't need excuses to support a superlead, just get one because you want one and deserve it. Money comes and goes, so do things, and life. Enjoy what you can when you can.

As far as clones go, if you have the bug to modify and learn how amps work a clone is a great idea. But if you just want a Marshall plexi to play, remember the "true" plexiglass panel amps cost five figures, but metal panels with circuit boards are arguably the same amp and there's lots of them CHEAPER than clones.

I've built clones and bought Marshalls. They all sound great, but the resale market for clones is pretty weak considering they are technically superior amps.

Gianni, wntbtw and iron broadsword like this.
  15. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

you'll need this too! and on & on it goes!

being a fan on this music today is a massive money drainer! give up now! don't get yourself into this money pit. smoking is cheaper!

JacksonCharvelAddict and Gianni like this.
  16. iron broadsword

Hmm, got a line on a 1987x with 4x12 greenbacks for $2000 CAN.. it's seen some use but looks pretty great. I'd have to play it of course to really know. Pretty good deal for these parts, but on the fence. I can do a SLP clone and similar cab for not much more. Decisions decisions... The SLP mojo might be too strong, and I'll be attenuating anyways so the headroom doesn't matter at all.

17. iron broadsword

Good points, I don't buy with any care about resale so no worries there. It's all about the slooshtoanz.

18. Stemiles90

Stemiles90 Active Member

I say go for it,you would only regret not buying one. bet 2 c5s sounded good, i played mine the other day in unison with my fender Drri, big big grin !

19. stilllifer

stilllifer Active Member

Not sure where in Canuck-land you are (I'm in the GTA) but this would be a pretty good deal here. I have no idea what the resale value would be on an SLP clone but you'd be fine with the 1987x if you ever had to sell it.

20. Gianni

Gianni Well-Known Member

I am a Les Paul guy myself, but without a Strat you are missing out on such a wide range of beautiful sounds!

Last edited: May 17, 2016