What cables do you use?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Maggot Brain, Aug 29, 2020.

1. Styles Bitchley

Styles Bitchley New Member

I have used Monster and a variety of cables. Monster is very reliable, but I found it dulled the response a little. I think your best bet is to find a cable you like, buy it in bulk and learn how to make your own. With decent ends, reliability should be good unless you step on them frequently. You can’t fix a break in the middle of the cable, but ends are easy to resolver.

2. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

I'm interested in some coily cables lately. Might pick up the Hendrix signature ones

3. caco58

caco58 New Member

Pay at least $20 for a cable. Live Wire are great for the price. The most important thing in a cord is the shielding. Crappy shielding can cause a wire to pick up interference and get noisy.
    Don't fall for the gold plated b.s.., it's not necessary.

Alter likes this.
  4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Pig Hog with fat color coded ends for all speakers. For the guitar cable I use only cloth covered cables, by Pig Hog, so they don't crawl up your leg. I'v had great luck with them, no problems ever. (Waaaay better prices than some of the other brands to.)

5. Rhinodriver

Rhinodriver New Member

I use different cables for different guitars. My primary cables from guitar to pedal board and pedal board to amp are an old set of Monster Jazz cables. For my Gibson ES, I use a Mogami Gold to the pedal board, and the same exit Monster Jazz to the amp. The pedal board is all Mogami Gold. I used to have George L’s but some of the connectors occasionally had issues, so I switched. The system is dead quiet, which is unusual for a 100 watt superlead. The biggest tone change occurred when switching power cables. I now use a Purple Haze from Cutthroat Audio in Coeur d’ Alene Idaho. The mids and highs really came alive with this power cable. The speaker cabinets connect to the amp via Monster cables.

6. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

For cheap cables, I recommend GLS Audio. They are very good - I've tried several of the >$20 cables and they're the best. Tried Pig Hog once. It cuts out a little bit. For mid priced, I have used and liked Spectraflex. And I have one of those Vox coiled cables. I like it, but the L end does not fit into a recessed Telecaster jack.

7. StratoMarshall

StratoMarshall Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Belden 8406 cable, switchcraft ends. Make 'em up myself.
    I've got cables that I made in the 70's for on the road use that are still in excellent condition physically and electrically!
    ProCo make good stuff too!

8. guitronics

guitronics New Member

I also make my own cables...from patch through Instrument cables...and mine are the best !!!!! LOL

9. Darkburst

Darkburst New Member

Mogami Gold is the best bang for the buck. I also use the Lava RetroCoil but it’s not as clear and how fidelity as Mogami.

10. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

I use a variety of brands; most have turned out pretty good. My favorite is Spectraflex.

11. HellRot

HellRot Member

I use Swiss made cables by Vovox.

12. J E H

J E H Active Member

interesting subject. Decades of playing, I have seen a lot of cables come and go. I have a philosophy about cables -- if there is a problem, out they go. I have had cables basically destroy equipment more than once. My oldest cable, I purchased in 1977. It is a 10 foot orange colored with the basic screw in/off plugs. Still works great. I have many others that have been around a long time. They do require care - especially during "tear down" BOught a "cable tester" once. decided to test it. PLugged two seperate cords in -- NO continuity. The tester told me that the cord was great. The tester went back home to the store. (50.00--hard earned money) If there is any doubt, I carry an old tiny amp -- for testing. Crash test dummy. Bad cords can ruin your board, amp, effects, etc. I used to do the repairs -- have not done that in a long time. Step one -- look at the cord before purchase. If possible, open and review the solder joints. If there is ANY doubt = NOT. Still have some of the old basic gray cords from radio shack with enclosed ends. They all still work. The Monster and the Mogami and other high-end brands are also subject to failure, however, probably a little stronger. Go easy on the cords -- shorts can happen very quickly - devastating results. AND -- please play louder. YOur neighbors need it.

13. TM1

TM1 Member

I've used Evidence Audio for the last 19 years! Never an issue or problem at all! They have been around the world with me and on every stage I've played on. What drew me to them originally was their clarity and full range fidelity! I had used Monster, but had issues with the plugs coming loose, and when American Airlines lost/stole my bag with all of them in there, I said time to try something new...
    I found the Evidence Audio's and tried a couple others as well and the Evidence just had what I was looking for. Luckily I developed a great relationship with Tony Farenilla, the founder/owner/creator. I love that all the centre wires are solid copper and the cables are Not Microphonic like most others. A brilliant way to build a cable! But I love coil cables and Evidence doesn't make a coily, but he recommeded the Devine Audio ones as he felt that Gil's cables were the clearest and fullest coil's. I have a number of Vox coily's and they sound like a blanket was covering my amp.. Great if you want mud.. I think the biggest reason that we all wanted more Top End back in the Sixties was the crappy cables we all used.. Anyway, Evidence and Devine Audio get business. I've been playing for 55 years and have tried them all! Enjoy!!

14. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Well-Known Member

Fender Professional Series are good enough for me.

15. marco_giampa23

marco_giampa23 Well-Known Member

Alot of people in AUS use hosa, love the stuff, ive never had them fail but my mate had the tip because a little loose and stop working but local store swapped it no questions asked, the jacks are great, i have 2 hosa cables some random cable i got at a music store that has regular neutrik ends, i find that on the regular neutrik cable ends the metal unscrews all the time, hosa stays put well

No good, ends come loose, could use thread lock i guess, quality is great
    https://www.pedalpartsaustralia.com...d=1237&zenid=670f9e05360163eba4400d066bda7155

love these
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Hosa-HGTR...ocphy=9071431&hvtargid=pla-439307715576&psc=1

considering buying and soldering on afew of these, neutrik is quality stuff
    https://www.swamp.net.au/neutrik-np...JRPOLCAx0ekWD2nQe5K0dCQERa2w4o5kaAkKkEALw_wcB

16. DBI5

DBI5 Well-Known Member

17. shooto

shooto Well-Known Member

I make my own cables

18. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

George L's..Tried 'em once and was hooked!

Their ad states that the most common comment they hear is "It sounds like someone took a blanket off my amp!" And that was exactly the reaction I had when I first tried them!

What I DON'T like about them is how stiff they are and don't like to lay flat, and they like to tangle. I take a lot of cues from Eric Johnson when it comes to gear, that's where I first discovered George L's..But he apparently uses Alessandro's as well, I assume from the pedalboard to the guitar? But no way in hell am I paying several hundred dollars for a 20 ft. cable! :noplease:

I would love to find an alternative cable for running between my guitar and pedalboard that sounds as good as the George L's and doesn't cost a king's ransom, but until I do I'll put up the quirks of George L's! :D

It's kinda funny that there's so many here saying "I make my own!", since they're basically doing the same thing I do with George L's, only I don't solder, except for the plug on the cable that goes to the input on my guitar..I like the plugs with a built in on/off switch for that, and I have to solder those.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Sean Christie likes this.
  19. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Mogami has been my mainstay for years , but a few years back i custom built a pedal board snake using Digiflex and was very impressed with the sound & quality of it too .

20. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

First off, the whole "gotta have monster cables " thing turned out to be a joke - I was there, I was in on it from the late 90s to the early 2ks, I was a test subject. returned several - actually paid extra for Monster Jazz. Until they diched the lifetime guarantee. It's very simple; gear that doesn't hold up is not good gear.