What cables do you use?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Maggot Brain, Aug 29, 2020.

1. bullhead

bullhead Active Member

I bought Monster Cables years ago that still sound awesome. That’s what I use currently. I tried MXR cables out of curiosity. Noisy as hell in my rig. I definitely wouldn’t recommend them.

Shawn Kawvey and Maggot Brain like this.
  2. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Well-Known Member

I have Proco and Whirlwind cables I bought in the late 70's early 80's still going strong. Cables have an effect on tone so I use different kinds. George L bulk coax cable soldered to Switchcraft plugs, odds and ends I've collected over the years of cables.

Fender reissued the coiled cord ala Hendrix so there's a source there if you like shunting spiky Strat tone as Jimi did.
    [​IMG]

Canare 4 conductor wired to mono plugs. Mogami is good too.

Canare L-4E6S wired star quad style. I use these for patch cords on a patchbay.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    lordquilton and Maggot Brain like this.
  3. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

I just recently put together a snake when I got an Fractal Audio FM3 beginning of June, as it's on the floor at my feet, so is the Line 6 Wireless is there as well, where before the Axe-Fx II and wireless sat in a rack, so I only needed short patch cables.

Anyways, pandemic dictated, I bought three 25 foot Hosa cables off amazon for the 4CM setup, Honestly, the Hosa's add no noise floor, tips seem decent, no noticeable tone loss or gain. I am just using EQ and FX with the fractal most times, so, just saying, you don't need to spend copious amounts of coin for decent cables these days which is great.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  4. Sapient

Sapient Well-Known Member

Any ones that look cool and have gold tips that look cool too.

:metal:

IOSEPHVS and Maggot Brain like this.
  5. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Probably want to add; that if your gear is newer go with Nuetrik. For older and vintage go Switchcraft. This allows for best possible seating connection for signal path between gear..

Maggot Brain likes this.
  6. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Two good points by @Sapient and @dragonvalve.
    Gold plated or Brass preferred whenever possible or where you have an option. A better signal path.
    Choosing the right cable makes a huge and noticeable difference in audible highs. Very easy to discern if you have two different cable types on hand for comparison.
    Several members here have big rigs and run w/d/w/ configs with multiple and variable voltages, and need their setup noiseless as possible. YMMV

Sapient likes this.
  7. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

I've read shady things about the Monster cables company so don't consider their stuff. (Namely them suing many businesses using the world monster, plus having a bit bigger tips on their cables so they mess with your stuff and then normal tips don't work).

The one cable I've had break down (and on a gig of course :) ), was a top of the line Vovox (which was an excellent cable well worth its money as it sounded awesome). Gave up on $100 cables after that and use much cheaper ones now, and not the solderless ones as they were less dependable for me. Canare, Mogami and a few Fender tweed ones mostly.

Still have a couple of George L that I only use cause I play my strat upside down and the tiny plug fits very well.

Maggot Brain likes this.
  8. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I only have one Monster Cable that I use between the guitar and my pedalboard.
    All my others were 'Sound Control' cables I got from a UK guitar shop chain of the same name that went under 10+ years ago.
    They were fairly cheap at the time, but have never given a non-gigger like me any problems.
    I recently swapped out all the cables I use in my DSL40CR/Boss GT-100 5CM setup for Boss BIC braded cables.
    Too soon to tell if they are going to last a lifetime yet ;), but they are solid and I would recommend them for home use.

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  9. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain Well-Known Member

Cool input, dont see cable brands mentioned too often so it's nice to get an idea on what all of you are using.

I hope Monster kept their quality standards because out of all my cables they are the only one I trust 100%. I have one of the Fender "Jimi" branded coil cords, I like curly cables and this one looked pretty thick and of decent quality but after about 2 months of use I get some pops and clicks if it moves around too much. My 10+ year old radio shack curly cable is dead silent, is thin and looks to be made fairly cheaply.

I'll check some of these out.

10. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

upload_2020-8-31_12-2-6.png

I also use CBI and Mogami. No complaints about any of the three, all come recommended.

11. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Well-Known Member

Monster. I use Fulltone patch cables for my board, but unfortunately, Mike doesn't make them anymore.

Shawn Kawvey likes this.
  12. daiku

daiku Member

I use PRS Classics for instrument cables, and Monsters to connect effects and such to my amps.

13. Biggin900s

Biggin900s Member

Mogami and Lava George L’s some whirlwind cables Ive had for 30 years people love to step on cables a big no no. Good luck with the hunt

14. tonycaster

tonycaster Active Member

I use mogami 2524 with neutrik plugs from guit to 1st pedal, mogami 2524 with pancake plugs between pedals and monster from last pedal to amp for tue dry sound, then spectraflex for tue wet sound, no noise hiss crackle whatsoever

15. obx351

obx351 Active Member

I currently use Mogami Gold 25' that are godawful expensive but work well. We'll see if they are worth 2 to 3x the cost of a Guitar Center patch cord which seems to last 2 to 5 years.

16. Bazal

Bazal New Member

I use any cable that has a good screening to cut out any unwanted interference. I also like decent jack plugs. I use planet waves solderless from my guitar to my effects as this has a kill switch built in on the jack. Been using them for years and never had a problem. Actually every so often I re-cut the ends and screw them back together.

17. Caffeinated

Caffeinated New Member

Fender Deluxe braided cables seem to last well for me for knockabout. I reckon cable ends are determined by application. A guitar with a socket on the edge will probably kill straight jack cords quickly, for instance.

Agree that Mogami is probably as far up the tree as I’d go.

I tend to avoid Monster due to the plain dishonest stuff they flog to people buying AV kit in chainstores. I figure if their morals are low enough to try to flog £100 power strips and gold plated USB cables for similarly silly money I’m not interested in anything else they’re trying to shift.

18. JvZ

JvZ New Member

My own ..
    Made of Mogami cable and Neutrik plugs

19. Marc Johnson

Marc Johnson New Member

Pig Hog everywhere but instrument > tuner.

20. Spooky88

Spooky88 New Member

I've purchased and used every cable manufacturer that sold retail from 1984-1998. That's when I started buying from GLS audio (formerly orange county speaker). I built my own patch cables from their kits and their cables are very good and inexpensive. Highly recommended.