>

What amp for the "American" sound? (southern rock)

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Kolanti, Apr 17, 2021.

1. IR79

IR79 New Member

I like tweed Fenders for this type of sound, although a Brownface may be better.

Tweed deluxes and Bassmen can get pretty dirty especially with a boost and early ZZ Top is all about the Brownface sound which can get even more dirty.

I have a Two Rock Burnside and it is my go to for a Black Crowesy, Stonesy early ZZ Top type sound

jimmyjames likes this.
  2. Richard Mazzaferro

Richard Mazzaferro New Member

The early Skynyrd is Marshall, for the most part. Ed King used a Fender Twin. Gary Rossington had a Hiwatt DR-103 for quite a while. Tons of video and pics showing him with that amp. The Peavey’s came toward the end and there are some reports that they were still using their old amps even after they made the deal with Peavey. Years ago, I had a Peavey Standard. I wouldn’t think of that amp with Skynyrd. Rickie Medlocke has been using Wizard amps, which are plexi clones. I think the NMV style amp is what you would be looking for and something loaded with EL34s.

jimmyjames and Chrome like this.
  3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

they are delightful. one day i will own one.

4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

A Peavey Mace and a 4x12 full of JBL E120s will give you that classic southern rock tone in spades.

The amp isn't expensive, but not common. The speakers, on the other hand....are neither common nor cheap. You'll tie up a lot more money in the speakers than in the amp.

thetragichero likes this.
  5. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

If Peavey is too "common" and you want something more boojee, check out Dr. Z, killer amps for the southern/classic/American tone (think Brad Paisley, killer player, great tones).

6. Karl Brake

Karl Brake Member

He
    He's used a number of setups, including various Marshalls, but now he seems to be using a chain of two Dumbles and two fenders. The big punch comes from the Dumbles.

7. Karl Brake

Karl Brake Member

I used a Fender MV quad reverb fitted with a JBL 15 D series, and had the Southern sound totally in the bag.

jimmyjames likes this.
  8. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

I have a 67 Twin, a 900 MKIII and a modern AC30, which really sits in between the two sound-wise. You should try one. It's probably what you're describing.

9. Comfort Cove

Comfort Cove Member

A Plexi or a JMP ('78 master volumes are fantastic). Medium amounts of gain and the right loudspeakers!

jimmyjames and Chrome like this.
  10. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Steve Gaines Live in 77 at the Oakland Coliseum & his Peavey Mace line-up & playing an LP!
    upload_2021-4-20_12-58-35.png

upload_2021-4-20_13-1-26.png

If you can look around those 70's babes (God they were so healthy & wholesome looking back the huh??) upload_2021-4-20_13-26-9.png
    anyway.. you can see Peavey on the other side of the stage as well!
    upload_2021-4-20_13-27-46.png

upload_2021-4-20_13-23-13.png

Now granted this was 1977 and is certainly a different amp line from their captured sounds on their earlier albums, but still the sound is undeniable, all pure Southern Rock & pretty gotdang American!

And the beautiful thing is,.. you can hear it for yourself & see if it is the sound you are chasing by actually watching & listening to this awesome video! Here!... What song is it y'all wanta hear??

What a time to be alive!

11. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

JBL speakers seem to be a big part of that southern rock tone. Start by picking up a pair of E120s. And they'll hold their value, so you won't lose money on them.

BillyB_from_LZ likes this.
  12. Kolanti

Kolanti Well-Known Member

an what a live. I wish I was born in 1950 just to be on my 20s on the ,70s. What a band

Bluesrock, Relic61 and jimmyjames like this.
  13. jazzdj

jazzdj Active Member

NOT a Marshall, NOT an Orange, NOT a Vox!

There is ONLY ONE, one with 85w Ass-kicking Power, one with super wide-range sonic Drive (something no Brit amp's has), one with Twang (damn it's SOUTHERN ya'll know!?) one that is AMERICAN!~

A early 60's Fender Twin Reverb, like mine.

1965 Fender Twin Reverb (not a reissue).
    1965 Fender Twin Reverb front.jpg

Kolanti and Relic61 like this.
  14. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I used to get this sound out of my SUNN Beta Lead to which is a SS amp. That thing was the ONLY SS amp I really liked and it would cover everything we played. In fact, until I got my Carvin X100b it was the most versatile amp I ever owned. One pretty cool thing I remember is, change the speakers and you had a different amp. I set it on a 2-12” cab but only used the cab or the speakers in it when we played.

15. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

This would do it and so much more. But, if all you play is LS and southern rock Peavey is the machine to use. Some people think Peavey is low end stuff, you could not be more wrong. Those old amps were bulletproof, I don’t remember a single one ever going down and a lot of people around here had them.

16. David Tubens

David Tubens New Member

I play in a southern rock band mostly doing Allmans & Skynyrd & I play thru a Peavey XXX 1-12 tube combo. In my experience this is a super versatile amp with 3 totally independent channels (clean, crunch, lead) with separate eq's on all channels & switchable choice of tubes (EL34 or 6L6's) plus it has a bias plugin on the back as well. I tried EL's but went back to 6L6's which a lot of blues type amps mainly go with. I also swapped out the original speaker & put in a Celestion UK Vintage 30 & for my ears gave it a slightly warmer tone. It all depends on how you set things up is the key to this or any amp. EQ plays a major part like for metal guys they like to scoop out the mids completely. Again, it makes all the difference on how you want to sound. Some use this amp for metal, hard rock/rock or in my case southern rock which this amp is super versatile. Way back when new these were very expensive but very reasonable now if you can find one & they make a 2-12 combo but be prepared to get a set of wheels cause they're super heavy!! The boys in Skynyrd loved their Peavey's & this one has more features. I never have to use a distortion pedal in front. This does it all & I use the effects loop for chorus, echo , reverb etc. The factory reverb is actually really good too. They did not skimp with this amp at all.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Kolanti, jimmyjames and Relic61 like this.
  17. Kolanti

Kolanti Well-Known Member

man this amp is a beast.
    At around what number the sound becomes to distort? is it super loud until you achieve break up?
    For reference I use my 100w JCM 800 on master 1.5-2 and preamp on 6. And it is loud but your face doesn't melt. I don't have neighbors cause I leave in the countryside of the city lmao

18. TheChris

TheChris Member

Hagerstown, Maryland /Bagram, Afghanistan
    Agreed - that's what Skynyrd and Hatchet used. I have had a mint Deuce for sale in Alabama for months... No interest...

19. groovenev

groovenev Member

...so don't forget about your old Marshall JMP's remember the the Allman Brothers Band, and after all who started the So. Rock thing... download.jpg

20. groovenev

groovenev Member

all the bands using Peavey amps in the 70's had endorsements ... Peavey wanted to compete with Marshall and Sun and Fender...