What’s she worth?

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by ampeq, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

Ain't that no shit. They should have made the day Guitar Center came in here (back in the '90s) a state holiday. There was nothing better than seeing the local shops squirm an close their doors. I loved and love every minute of it. Fucken local shysters were in business to fuck us kids out of anything they could. We were nothing but raw prey to them.

I have never once been disrespected by Guitar Center staff. They've all been great even though she might have not known a 12 string from a 6 string. (This is to be expected anyway.) Always kind they are, I've found. I personally have never known GS to not adhere to a fair policy. In fact, the benefit of the doubt always favors the customer from what I've experienced.

I went into a local (survivor) shop the other day to look at his acoustics. I saw the old shyster owner there from a distance. Made me wanna vomit.

2. Sapient

Sapient   Gold Supporting Member

Yea, you definitely want her moist. Not sure if it rubs off after time. If you do it make sure the guitar is face-side down and try to stay clear of the inlays to a degree. I f'd up a cheapy doing it by not thinking: I casually ran a hairdryer over the board to get her dry faster. It worked .....until I put the next coat of ink on and it flooded into the inlay beds. Yea, the dryer heat had melted the inlay glue (at least temporarily) so all liquids could join as one!

You should be fine ...WITHOUT a hairdryer step though Lol.

3. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

BTW, sorry I didn't mention it before, but sorry for your loss. :(

ricksdisconnected and ampeq like this.
  4. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Our GC is useless to the core. Everything they have is for the beginner, cheap amps, low end guitars. The used stuff was ok to look at but way over priced. Now they don't even have very many guitars, those big walls only have a guitar about every 10 - 15 hooks. God forbid you bring something in for service, WOW!

Sapient and ricksdisconnected like this.
  5. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

its a sign of the times bro not a sign of the business.

Derrick111 and Sapient like this.
  6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Sheesh, I know it's been a while since I entered LP Studio world so maybe I'm just off my nut, but am I the only one who see's something unusual?

[​IMG]

Where are the block inlays? And the color, and the (Grovers?) - is that a Studio "Tribute" model that someone modified to look more like a Studio?

7. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

No I think it’s a Studio, the tuners are Grovers and the dots are on tons of them. The Gibson logo is just painted on and I have seen this red before. It has been sitting for a lot of years, I think it’s from about 1990?

8. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Gibson. So confusing. They made 'em in Ferrari Red and Radiant Red, which look similar. Hard to find on the webs, but I'm seeing some from the mid 80's that have bound fingerboards, and some from the late 90's with no binding. They made ones with block inlays and they made 'em with dots, some with gold plated hardware and some with chrome. What are the first and fifth digits of the serial number? That'd tell you the year - or you can just search the serial number yourself here for the year: https://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

9. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

According to the numbers they say it’s a ‘90. Did they make a “custom” Studio? I to have seen them all kinds of ways, I like binding on the neck at least.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  10. Vinsanitizer

:shrug: I'm drawing blanks. It's rare that I can't find nary a thing in my searches... close, but no dime. I don't use Google products - avoid them like a plague - so maybe a Google search for "1990 gibson les paul studio dot inlays" might be worth a try if you use G. I am also seeing that 1990 was likely a crossover year for the Studio from whatever came before it (I'll assume it was the model with the neck binding because those appear to be the 80's models), and that the same guitar also came in that red version with white plastic too, but really I can't find any helpful info. It definitely seems like an unusual model, and from what I can tell it does look fully genuine in your pics now. As for a value estimate, unfortunately the mystery continues because of the variables:

It's 31 years old, does that affect the value +/-?
    What condition is it in on a 1-10 scale?
    Is everything 100% original?
    Are there any issues like the nut, tuners, fret wear, etc.?
    Studio models typically have ebony fretboards, that model looks like rosewood: does this matter to buyers?
    Overall desirability.
    Day of the week.
    The position of the moon.

If it were mine, I wouldn't take less than $700 if it's in really nice shape, because it wouldn't be worth selling for less (to me). Even $700 today seems like "video game money". That would also be like the old saying "any used car that starts and runs is worth at least $XXX". But then you have to factor in the variables. I don't think it's a gold mine, but I would hate to see it sold for a lot less than it's worth. If I were in your position, I would find an experienced and honest retailer, and maybe pay them a few bucks to get some printed documentation that states exactly what you have.

11. Derrick111

Derrick111 Well-Known Member

I would say this is correct. A friend was in a huge regional band in the early 90s before making it big, and now lives out in LA writing for pop star$$$. In 1991, he sold me a 1980 JMP for $380 (which I still have) and used the money to buy a new Gibson Les Paul Studio that was red just like yours. I recall it was $500 new in 1991. I do recall the knobs were black 50 type and it didn't have Grovers (yours may have been added). He also ended up with a light translucent blue one just like it he traded a blond '77 Les Paul Custom for :facepalm:

12. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Used gear is whatever someone wants to pay.

Guitar Center is another story.:rolleyes:

13. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Its a no frills Gibson, they used to call it the Special, it might have even been a special run for Guitar Center, basically a Faded series guitar with a shiney finish and pickup covers. If you look closely you'll see the Gibson logo painted on, no binding, no inlays, probably has 490 pickups. The Grovers and trussrod cover are most likely after market. It was like $599 for the Faded and $799 for the Special.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  14. Vinsanitizer

Good guess/research :yesway:, but I gotta debate that...

I think you might be referring to the 'Les Paul Special SL"? I had one of those as a beater for bang rehearsals in the early 2K's. This was that:

[​IMG]

That pic links to a video:

I suspected it could be a Special too (which totally confuses the name with the 50's model Special), but I owned this model for 3 years. It did not have a carved top like the one in question, the inlays were the small squares and it was natural, white plastic, and no pickguard (I had to drill the holes to install one - I didn't care, it was a beater. :D). Otherwise the logo was gold paint, the tuners were those 'green' Deluxe's, and yeah, my guess would be chrome 490's (certainly wasn't a 498/500T or a Classic 57). Also, with the red "Studio" model in question, everything does appear original and the truss cover says "Studio". If someone changed that cover away from whatever it was, then why out of better options, would they want to "fake" a Studio? Why not put a "Standard" on there, or just a blank one? If it were a GC model, the serial number should be preceded with the letter "G". I know this, because I've had a few custom GC model Les Pauls, one of which was a 1960 Historic Les Paul.

As of yet I'm stuck on it being an actual Studio model of some sort, maybe a limited or one-year run, because I've seen a couple of good matches, just zero info. In fact, all I could find for the pic I included here of the Special SL was that one, haven't seen any others yet.

Very strange, like trivia. :D

15. Vinsanitizer

Wait... I searched for "les paul sl" and got this below. - ampeq, does your "Studio" have a carved top or a flat one? If flat, it could be a '99 SL model with changes tuners, if carved then I'm back to square one again.

[​IMG]

16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Yeah I remember those too, I just remember tags on them that said Special, but again I've seen alot of different models from Gibson through the years that were totally different from each other called Special, with humbuckers, P90s, carved top, flat top, etc etc, who knows...

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  17. Vinsanitizer

Yeah, goes back to my comment: "freakin' Gibson! :mad:".

Between them and Fender (Martin and the rest of the USA clans) splitting hairs with the model names and limited editions, it's enough to drive a fan like me bat-shed crazy. I love em both, currently own 4 Les Pauls and two Fenders, had dozens over the years, but Gibson's always been practically everyone's glory and pain in the @ss at the same time. With Gibson, if it isn't issues with the nut it's the fretwork, if it isn't the fretwork it's crooked parts, smaller retailers can't sell them because of the seller agreements required, etc., etc. With Fender it's a new model every month, then in 2 years they drop them all and downsize, then they build 'em back up again with new model names. Right now they just added the "Player Plus", just to grab at a few bucks in between the Player and the Pro II. What happened to the Pro I? What happened to the USA Standard? (...well, that's now MIM and it's called the "Vintera", and instead of the $850 they charged for the USA Standards, now they're a MIM for $1,100...) on and on with these USA companies. Three years from now no one will even know what the "Vintera" model was, and here this guy ampeq is, just trying to figure out what mystery model Gibson he's got. I spent a ransom on my '59 Historic Les Paul in 2013 because I wanted "the best Les Paul Gibson makes", and then 8 months later they came out with the "True Historic" for 50% more $$. Well if they came out with a "True" Historic, what does that make my "regular" Historic, chopped Historic liver?

This bullshed just drives the Vinsanitizer insane! :nuts: :eek:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    GregM likes this.
  18. ricksdisconnected

whats the story o the cannon? gotta know.

Edgar Frog likes this.
  19. ricksdisconnected

60's necks all the way. cant stand the baseball bat necks. to much wood to
    hold on to and solo at the same time with the 50's

Edgar Frog likes this.
  20. ricksdisconnected

amen. i missed it too.
    strummer, can you imagine that thing in gold hardware, dyed neck?
    sick!

StrummerJoe likes this.