Wgs Speakers

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by raya, Mar 29, 2016.

1. raya

raya Member

Does anybody know what WGS speaker would be a close match to a Celestion G12m-65 Creamback? I have an Invader 50 in my DSL40c, but I'm not completely happy with the way it sounds. It seems the Creamback is the speaker of choice for the DSL40c but they are pretty pricey. Just wondering if anyone knows a less expensive alternative to the Creamback.
    Thanks
    Ray

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I believe the Invader is their version of the Creamback. Have you given it time to break in? What is it you don't like about it?

3. raya

raya Member

I don't hate the Invader speaker, it actually sounds pretty good. But I was wondering how it compares to the Creamback. In the back of my mind I'm thinking, would the real Creamback sound better to me than the Invader, or would I not be able to tell a difference. Or should I just shut up and play my guitar and be happy with what I have. :)

4. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have an Eminence Man-O-War in mine and I love it.

5. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-check out the you tube clips-(CELESTION vs WGS)-lots of people swear by WGS,.. to my ears they don't have the "bite" of the CELESTION's they're trying to copy.

6. Stringjunkie

Stringjunkie Well-Known Member

I think you should shut up and play guitar. Give it time to break in good, then decide.

blues_n_cues likes this.
  7. raya

raya Member

Thanks SG "bite" might be the word to describe what seems missing from the Invader speaker. Its one of those things, you know its not bad, but there is something you don't like but can' put your finger on it. I'll check out the you tube clips.

8. raya

raya Member

Thanks Stringjunkie I will probably do that.

9. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy Active Member

I put a Reaper HP in mine, sounds great to me.

10. Kutt

Kutt Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Instead of telling you to shut up, here is a link to WGS' tone chart that might be helpful. They do not explicitly list one of their speakers with a tone comparable to a Creamback so there might not be a direct answer to your question. I emailed them a while back before purchasing a pair of Veteran 30s, and they were very helpful. Don't hesitate to contact them.

https://wgs4.com/sites/default/files/WGS-2015-08-tonechart.pdf

11. geddyleefan

geddyleefan Active Member

I own a British Lead and a ET90 and they both sound wicked

12. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid what you are looking for from WGS is what you already have. From Celestion's web site

"G12M-65 Creamback produces the familiar woody G12M tone, but handles greater power making it ideally suited for today's amps, when a vintage tone is desired. The increased power handling brings with it low end grunt complementing the warm and vocal mid range, crunchy upper- mids and sweet, refined highs."

From WGS's "Higher powered version of Green Beret"

One thing experience has taught me is that if you think you hear something in your speakers that you don't like, you won't be satisfied until you try something else. I'd recommend getting the Celestion if that's the basis for the sound you want.

dslman likes this.
  13. Stringjunkie

Stringjunkie Well-Known Member

I have a greenback, retro 30 and a reaper in 1x12s. I like them all but dont really use them anymore as I bought a new cab a couple years ago.
    Btw, you do realize I only said shut up because I was repeating your words, I am really a nice person lol. Good luck.

14. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

WGS speakers ,the ones I have owned seem to be grainier for lack of words,than their Celestion counterparts.

A4100K likes this.
  15. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have a WGS Vet30 in my DSL5c and I love it.
    I tried a 10" WGS 10CS, but then decided to cram a 12" in there.
    Maybe a Vet30 is what you are after?

16. raya

raya Member

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have a cab loaded with 2 Clestion CL80's that I used with my JCM2000 DSL100, maybe I'll try the DSL40 through that cab and see what I get. And no offense taken Stringjunkie, I do need to shut up and play my guitar ;) Thanks.

17. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

The ET-65 is probably closer to The Creamback 65 than the Invader... I had the Invader and I thought it was too rounded off and too smooth on the top end for my taste. In comparison, the Celestion Lynchback has that mid-snarl the WGS Invader lacks... I think the Invader sounds good to tame a bright amp.

GuitarMutant likes this.
  18. Hogie34

Hogie34 Well-Known Member

"Jeff, to answer your question about the ET-65, you would be correct. It has the same characteristics of the Celestion Creamback. However, we did not base it on Creamback as believed by most people. We designed and produced the ET-65 before Celestion's Creamback speaker and that is actually their response to the popularity of our speaker"

That is copied and pasted from an email exchange between me and WGS about a year ago. Don't know how true all the we were first stuff is, but it is a damn good sounding speaker and I have an Orange PPC212 loaded with them and it sounds way better than the V30's that came stock.

mtm105 likes this.
  19. geddyleefan

geddyleefan Active Member

I've heard most people and videos on youtube comparing the ET-65 with its bigger brother the ET-90 and the 65 is so much warmer and lacks the mid range punch. The ET-90 is really balls to the wall in that department

20. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

FUCHS Audio releases its ODS 100 Combo with WGS ET-65.

The speaker isn't too bright, nor buzzy.

From site:

The ET65's creamy lows blend with tight midrange and sparkling highs for some of the best tones ever created. This speaker is for classic rock, country and blues.