>

Went to GC to check out Les Paul Standards

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Marshall Stack, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Derrick111

Derrick111 Well-Known Member

It's not cheap to run a brick and mortar store... how much is GC making on these sales? I ask because I wonder if we are focusing wrongfully on how much GC discounts, instead of how much Gibson charges now for its guitars? This is more a conversational/hypothetical question from me though since I do not buy new guitars.

2. Dean Swindell

Dean Swindell Well-Known Member

About the necks, I don't know why people think Gibson even makes a "baseball bat" neck. The 50s is just a normal "good all around" neck and the 60s is noticeably but not dramatically thinner, two nice necks to choose from. Now my '98 Fender built Guild Bluesbird, THAT is a baseball bat neck. And yes, it does lend support. My hand seems to be able to take a series of "micro breaks" over the course of a song, unlike any other of my guitars.

3. Derrick111

Not true... the 1960 Gibsons have what we would generally think of as modern "fast" necks. VERY thin. I quite like them, even with big hands.

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

A couple years ago I got 20% off a brand new LP Standard at Sweetwater during a Labor Day Sale.

Oh, and I am a fan of the thinner 60s style neck. Ive tried all their neck profiles and have realized I love the 60s, everything else has been sold off!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  5. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

You guys in th U.S of A have no idea how lucky you!
    You wanna talk about prices?
    I live in New Zealand, and recently brought a brand new 2016 LP Standard.
    It was for sale for $5500NZD
    (the equivalent of $3860USD).
    I got approx' 7% off because I have spent probably over 50k over the years at that shop, and also probably because it has been sitting in the shop for 5 years.
    Over here, you don't get to take things home to try, if you buy it, you own it.
    The only way you can return it, is if it has a defect.
    So dry your eyes lads.
    You ain't got it that bad at all!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  6. L.A. Nights

L.A. Nights Member

‘Because of Covid.’

7. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

By list, I mean the price every major US retailer lists it for sale at - e.g. a Les Paul Standard for $2500. Don't know if there's an official term, but I've always differentiated list from MSRP. Maybe there's another term that retailers use.

Marshall Stack likes this.
  8. groovenev

groovenev Member

The GC is one of those places you lov hate because sometimes you can hit it perfect and get the GTR you want at great price, but I agree you have to get the Mgr... impossible to deal with sales people they try to sell it to you at list price... or like mentioned do the trade in/trade up thing...
    On the neck profile, I agree that the Custom shop R7 R8 R9 VOS and others have much closer profiles to the old ones. My R7 VOS has a beast of a neck profile... and is very comfortable to play, if you have a large hand...it does make you work less... unfortunately for me I can still get the hand cramp from sometimes pressing a bit to much... LOL but far less than I will from playing my 74 Deluxe with a thin 60s profile (very narrow) profile...

IMG_4450.JPG IMG_4449.JPG IMG_4451.JPG

9. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

If you only could have one style neck (everything else being equal), which one would you prefer?

groovenev likes this.
  10. groovenev

groovenev Member

Personally given a single choice a Custom Shop R8 or R9 profile they are a medium chunky size smaller than my R7 VOS Gold Top in the pix... ...hard question staying in the Gibson space, I play an old late 80's 1st gen EC Strat quite a lot live these days, along side my Gold Top. The EC is super comfortable, I almost never get hand fatigue you may want to try a new one out...great neck profile.

twoGTRs.jpg

11. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

GC has it's purpose.

It has good deals on occasion but I don't think their managers can save them.

groovenev likes this.
  12. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

A straight one.

fitz288, Sapient, GregM and 1 other person like this.
  13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

GC is really a music dept. store.

Their sales force can be clueless.

Their managers can be clueless.

Sometimes, they'll surprise you but that's a rare thing.

The key is to know what you want but keep an open mind and use your ears and common sense.

14. Derrick111

This is certainly no excuse, but we expect the cheapest prices yet complain when the people GC hires at min wage to keep costs down don't know anything. Who do you think they are going to get in there to help you at min wage other than kids starting out (IE: not much experience or skill developed)? I will gladly accept this for the best price, as it is a local and physical location I can go to and see/feel the product and buy at that price rather than the alternative which is on-line. I mean, GC is often as cheap as the best on-line options, yet they have all the overhead costs to run as a business. Think about that... I appreciate that they are there instead of complaining.

15. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

Agree. I have gotten to know some of the people there and they are nice. I was in there years back when they just gor in a used George Benson. They were going to put it up for $1200 which was reasonable at the time. I played it and fell in love with it. The guy offered it to me for $850 which was a steal. Some of the guys might be clowns but there are some who are really good guys.

I bought a Fender 65 Princeton Reissue from Sweetwater back in October. I had to file a warranty claim and then had to pay $65 to ship it. If I got it at GC I wouldn't have had to pay that. Sweetwater offsets that I guess with a 2 years warranty instead of a one year.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  16. LiveeviL2000

LiveeviL2000 Well-Known Member

Right now GC is running a 15% off with a trade in until September 1st