>

Went to GC to check out Les Paul Standards

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Marshall Stack, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Sapient

Sapient   Platinum Supporting Member

That's right, Vin'ster. The only noted formal step in the transaction process is they give it back to you. And then YOU say "Thank you".

:scratch:

2. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

Then when you head for the door to exit there is someone there looking like you stole it and shake you down and check the receipt. And then YOU say thank you.

3. Sapient

Yup. The American way. We thank them.

I like when they then mutter .. "uh ..uh hmm".

4. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

They don't touch them. There are these little machines that the buyer puts his card it himself. Been around for awhile.

Sapient likes this.
  5. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Paul, are you that guy who always gives away the punchline before someone else is done telling a joke?

:D

6. Sapient

Well they'd take you cash in a second.

I guess my point is in this "pandemic" we are never told to stop touching the money. They sure as hell don't want that.

7. Marshall Stack

They ship to your local store for free, right? Do they wiggle on the prices listed for the used guitars?

fitz288 likes this.
  8. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

Ship to store is not free, but shipping on guitars is not much - my Strat from CA to PA was $21.25.
    If you don't like it, returns dropped of at your local GC are free.
    So that shipping charge is your only risk in buying before playing.
    I've been told that they only price wiggle on used if the listing is over 90 days.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Marshall Stack and AlvisX like this.
  9. AlvisX

AlvisX Garage Guerrilla Gold Supporting Member

In some cases, GC shipping store to store is more expensive than shipping to the house........I always compare . Store to store serves 2 purposes......porch security and keeping purchases out of sight of the sif. other

10. Phony iommi

Phony iommi Well-Known Member

Is the 15% off of the MSRP or the already discounted store price?
    Every new LP I see is listed at $2499 so you’re getting an additional 15% off that as well?

11. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Yes, off the actual retail selling price. I don't even bother shopping at old-world stores who still tag products with an MSRP.

Typically the selling price should be around 25%-30% off MSRP. After that, they can afford to take 15% of the selling price. (This does not apply to all products. For example, MESA amps: there's one price only an everyone pays that same price - ZERO discounts). Also depends on the sales person and how hungry they are for commission, as your discount cuts into the food on their table.

Example:

MSRP = $3,000 (fake price)
    Selling = $2,100 (the real price)
    Final @ 15% discount = $1,785 (what you can get with many higher-end items)

Don't expect much, if any, % off - or much off items in cheaper price ranges; a $1K Ibanez isn't going to garner you a 15% discount unless they really want it out the door.

12. Marshall Stack

What stores do you go to then Ace?

ibmorjamn and Vinsanitizer like this.
  13. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I am guessing what he is describing would apply for GC. Otherwise no, there are A mark, B mark, and C mark products that the manufacturers have with distributors/retail outlets/stores..
    He is saying in a fancy way, that it is best to shop around.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  14. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

FIXED
    :fever:

15. Vinsanitizer

Yes - I am bespeaking about Guitar Center in this scenario, and the reason they can do this is because they are a big box store. Other types of shops are likely to only be able to sell at the typical 25%-30% off point, and can perhaps only provide a minimal discount if you spend a much higher amount on multiple items.

16. Vinsanitizer

Also, to be clear, I know of literally NO one who sells or buys at MSRP. As far as I've known, that type of sales model was outdated with the advent of the Internet. I detest dickering and prefer a plain open honest price for both new and used items (in the rare case I buy a used thing), but if I ever see it again in a music store, I'd certainly stop and just leave. Those kind of businesses are useless because you'll end up paying below MSRP, but higher than the rest of the country. That's why price matching was invented. The few times I went to TN (from NY) I visited a couple mom & pop shops - the kind of places where you walk in and there's hardly any lighting and stuff is literally PILED on top of other stuff. I dug out three or four obviously used guitars and they wanted an arm and a leg. Then, when I'd ask if they'd come down from that they would say no. They wouldn't even dicker. I walked. They were the kind of people who thought everything in their store gold. They could have made a crapload of money off me that day. However, because they chose to be greedy, I got nothing and they ate yesterday's tuna sandwiches for lunch.

GIBSON67 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  17. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - I was in Manchester Music Mill in maybe February and they came to me without my asking and offered 15% of the $1599 list on a Fender Am Pro II in roasted pine that I was trying out. Was a solid deal, but I passed as I wanted another $100 for my trade as well. I would never buy new without getting at least 10% off list.

18. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Leave Credit cards at home. Bring cash once paper starts waiving prices change.
    Its like buying a used bomber car guy wants $3000......you want to pay $2200 you'll go $2500 but no more........you put $2200 in your pocket......$300 in your freinds pocket.......you offer the $2200 cause its all you got.......no bite.......then your freind steps up to loan you his last $300...no bite then you walk away.
    Maybe not to that extreme at GC but you get the drift cash in hand allways makes better deals appear.

19. BGK529

BGK529 New Member

I agree to search GC Online for used deals.. I just picked up a 2020 50s LP w/ case for $1599 ($1743 - tax/shipping). It was listed in fair condition due to a few pinhead size chips in the binding and some paint imperfections that can all be fixed up.. Unfortunately for me, I cant stand the burst buckers and the guitar is close to 11 lbs.. Most likely I will be returning.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  20. Vinsanitizer

List is the same as MSRP. Selling prices should START at 25-30% off list, as I mentioned above. However, retailers most often do not give discounts on the selling price unless you're buying multiple items or they're trying to get rid of some stock. That goes for both local and online retailers. The only thing I can't really verify is Custom Shop models from Gibson and Fender, but I know there's a lot of leeway/flexibility with those. As far as Gibson goes, I can't tell whether the prices they post on heir website already include a discount off an unknown list price. My statement remains, that I was getting 15% off guitars (mostly) at GC. But I wouldn't [myself] expect that much with brands like Marshall or MESA/Boogie. Those selling prices are usually pretty stiff.

Regardless, in my vernacular, "list" price is just another way of saying MSRP.